Taliesin's builds: 3E moved to sister thread

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Shoe2
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: Taliesin's builds: Final 2E Updates, Captain Britain, Meggan

Postby Shoe2 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:47 am

If i recall, didnt Meggan's shapeshifting have the drawback of being Empathetically linked. She shapeshifted into the thing someone else wanted/needed the most or what they thought of her or something like that. For a while she was a furry creepything because that's what everyone thought of her. When she met Cap B. he thought she was awesome and so she basically turned into his dream girl....am i wrong?

-Shoe

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Taliesin » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:33 am

Shoe2 wrote:If i recall, didnt Meggan's shapeshifting have the drawback of being Empathetically linked. She shapeshifted into the thing someone else wanted/needed the most or what they thought of her or something like that. For a while she was a furry creepything because that's what everyone thought of her. When she met Cap B. he thought she was awesome and so she basically turned into his dream girl....am i wrong?

-Shoe

I think she has a bit more control over it nowadays. Early on, she was certainly more subject to the emotions of those around her.

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Taliesin's builds: Juri, SF4 updates, Vulcan, Wisdom

Postby Taliesin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:59 am

Ghostwise wrote:
Taliesin wrote:Yeah...I don't know about too many new 2e builds in this dead period waiting for 3e. I'm spending most of my time figuring out how certain builds work with the new ruleset, to practice and familiarize myself with the new system.

And going back to a prior edition is usually a source of confusion, yeah.

I still get somewhat confused between DCH3E and BOHSE rulesets.

I'm also eagerly waiting for 3E and DCU - with official profiles of the benchmark DC characters I can sharpen my equations very quickly, and since the system is streamlined I won't have to pore through long lists of Feats for each profile. Woo-hoo ! :P

I think the tricky thing about the official profiles is that they are pretty iconic, which means that they're both a little difficult to place in terms of a particular era but that with a little tinkering shouldn't be too far off the modern interpretation, but they're not perfect fits for those who are nitpicky like we are.

Sacremas
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Sacremas » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:07 am

You know, I was looking at your awesome Galactus writeup, and I was thinking... any chance I can entice you for one last update, the biggest bad ever, the devourer of multiverses...

The Anti-Monitor.

Come on, 2e needs a proper send-off after all, and why not do it with the Silver Age's send-off character? ;)
"I am what I am and that is all that I am."

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Taliesin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:30 am

Sacremas wrote:You know, I was looking at your awesome Galactus writeup, and I was thinking... any chance I can entice you for one last update, the biggest bad ever, the devourer of multiverses...

The Anti-Monitor.

Come on, 2e needs a proper send-off after all, and why not do it with the Silver Age's send-off character? ;)

Yeah, Galactus needs a little update and Anti-Monitor is his obvious match.

Sacremas
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Sacremas » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:09 pm

Awesome, I look forward to it.

While at it, any chance you can take a minor peek at Thor? I love the build except for one thing, his Super Strength, it's way off compared to 90 % of Thor's strength showings over the years. For instance in Damage Control #1 he lifted the damaged George Washington Bridge up so that the DC crew could repair it, which probably takes much more than 200 tons maximum load, and he held it for something like an hour without any stress, so it couldn't have been extra effort either. Also while I'm a big Herc fan I don't quite agree with Hercules being able to lift 250 times as much as Thor, sure he's the God of Strength, but so's actually Thor, Norse god of Storms and Strength (in combat and otherwise), the strongest of the Aesir...

This "respect" thread over on killermovies.com has a whole heap of other strength feats among others, and while your build and the occasional stunting actually covers the vast majority of them, his Strength feats is slightly harder to duplicate without stunting it off his weather control or the like.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/show ... genumber=1

I'd say Super Strength 10 should do it more accurately, still leaving Hercules with a one-up on Strength at least, but not to such a degree...
"I am what I am and that is all that I am."

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Taliesin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:06 pm

My Lifting Str benchmarks changed significantly over time. Thor will probably end up with about a 100 lifting Str or so, or 5 points lower than Herc.

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Narsil » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:02 pm

One very last fantasy build request, I suppose, because I'd really like to see your interpretation of this guy, given how cool your Raistlin build is; Gandalf.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'
-The Fourth Doctor, Terror of the Zygons

RhimeFyre
Partisan
Partisan

Postby RhimeFyre » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:07 am

I'm surprised you haven't updated him in honor of his very first ever official build! God it's awesome just saying that lol teehee. Practically gives me goosebumps. Aww hell, who am I kidding, it does give me goosebumps! :D
Taliesin wrote:Image
It’s the claw! Nothing can stop the claw!

Green Lantern
Harold “Hal” Jordan

Power Level: 14 (220pp)

Abilities: STR: 14 (+2), DEX: 16 (+3), CON: 14 (+2), INT: 14 (+2), WIS: 18 (+4), CHA: 14 (+2)

Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+7), Concentration 16 (+20), Craft [Mechanical] 4 (+6), Diplomacy 4 (+6), Knowledge [Tactics] 4 (+6), Notice 4 (+8), Pilot 16 (+19), Sense Motive 4 (+8)

Feats: Assessment, Attack Specialization [Power Ring], Benefit 3 (Fear Acceptance [buys off yellow weakness Power Loss], Overcome Great Fear [buys off Willpower Psyche Break], Security Clearance), Connected, Dodge Focus 2, Fearless, Quick Draw, Teamwork, Ultimate Effort (Will save)

Powers:
Device 16 [Green Lantern Power Ring] (Hard to Lose; Power Feat: Minions 10 [power ring A.I.]; Drawbacks: Key [Power Battery required to recharge; Uncommon, Minor; -1pp], Power Loss [when not recharged; Common, Minor; -2pp], Power Loss [not usable on yellow; Uncommon, Minor; -1pp], Psyche Break [Willpower; Uncommon, Minor; -1pp]; 69pp)
[Will]Power Reserve 16 (Array [Willpower Constructs], Force Field; 32pp)

Ringslinging Style
Add the Dynamic power feat to Create Object, Blast, Dazzle, Summon, Telekinesis (5pp)
Add the Precise power feat to Array [Willpower Constructs] (1pp)
Add the Overwhelming Counter Extra to Blast (10pp)

Devices:

Green Lantern Power Ring (80pp total)
Array 10 [Willpower Constructs] (Power Feat: Variable Descriptor [any electromagnetic]; 21pp)
Base Power: Create Object 6 (Extras: Movable [+1]; 0pp)
AP: Blast 10 (1pp)
AP: Dazzle 10 (Visual; 1pp)
AP: Summon 4 (Extras: Fanatical [+1], Type [solid light constructs; +2]; 1pp)
AP: Telekinesis 10 (1pp)
Communication 20 (radio; Flaw: Limited [to Green Lantern Corps only; -1]; 10pp)
Enhanced Feats 2 (Diehard, Quick Change; 2pp)
Flight 8 (2,500 MPH; 16pp)
Force Field 8 (Extra: Impervious [+1]; 16pp)
Immunity 9 (Life Support; 9pp)
Space Travel 1 (1c; Power Feat: Hyperspace; 2pp)

Combat: Attack +8 / +10 (Power Ring); Damage +2 (Unarmed) / +10 [+18] (Blast); Defense +10 (+4 flat-footed); Initiative +3

Saves: Toughness +2 / +10 [+18] (+8 [+18] Impervious; Force Field), Fortitude +6, Reflex +6, Will +16

Drawbacks: Normal Identity (without Power Ring; Common [full action], Major; -4pp)

Abilities 30 + Skills 14 (56 ranks) + Feats 12 + Powers 117 + Combat 32 + Saves 19 – Drawbacks 4 = Total 220

Complications: Enemy (Sinestro, Sinestro Corps), Reputation (actions as host of Parallax), Responsibility (as Green Lantern 2814.1)

:arrow: Hal Jordan is the exemplar of Green Lanterns, possessing unmatched willpower with which to maintain his power ring’s constructs. He is notable for simple constructs that often have an afterburner effect due to the sheer volume of his willpower reserves.

:arrow: The signature power of the Green Lantern Power Ring allows Hal to create hard light constructs, fire various force and energy blasts, and manipulate objects from a distance. The ring provides a host of powers outside of that array and is also a semi-sentient computer that can provide various functions such as datalinking, scanning the environment, and serving as a universal translator. Less common powers can be power stunted off of the primary array. The power ranks within the Device itself reflect the default levels accessible to anyone capable of using a Power Ring; Hal has an additional [Will]Power Reserve to reflect the additional ranks he can add to particular powers. He also adds several feats and an Extra to the usual array of powers that reflect his expertise and personal style.

:arrow: The Ultimate Power sourcebook indicates that created objects may have up to 5pp/rank of traits meant to represent intrinsic qualities of the object. This seems a little generous to me, and my preference would be to use the cost of Create Object as the pool from which to buy these traits.

:arrow: In addition, the typical power ring has several Power Drawbacks. One prevents it from affecting yellow things, but this can be overcome by a veteran who recognizes Parallax as the source of that fear and is bought off by the Fear Acceptance Benefit. Another Drawback is Psyche Break, which is a version of Power Loss, requiring a Wisdom check against DC10 to achieve the correct state of mind (in this case, Willpower) in order to use the ring, and is bought off by the Overcome Great Fear Benefit. This allows non-Lanterns to use the ring, albeit with the requirement of overcoming the Psyche Break either through the Wisdom check or using Extra Effort to temporarily buy off the Drawback.

:arrow: The Space Travel power feat, Hyperspace, is basically built along the lines of Datalink’s Cyberspace or Shrinking’s Microverse. The ring usually provides travel at lightspeed in space but also allows access to designated wormholes for faster-than-light travel.

:arrow: The Green Lantern Power Ring is a Minion and treated as a construct. This also means that in the event that the Green Lantern is separated from his power ring, the ring itself may assume control. In general, the powers that the Green Lantern can access directly or with a thought are bought within the Device, whereas the powers that require him to verbally inquire the ring (e.g., “Ring, scan for sentients”) are bought by the minion.

Green Lantern Power Ring (Minion Rank 10)

Abilities: STR: -- (--), DEX: 20 (+5), CON: -- (--), INT: 20 (+5), WIS: 10 (+0), CHA: 10 (+0)

Skills: Computers 12 (+17), Knowledge [Civics] 12 (+17), Notice 12 (+12), Search 12 (+17), Sense Motive 12 (+12)

Feats: Benefit (use Computers skill for Gather Information checks), Contacts, Eidetic Memory, Well-Informed

Powers:
Comprehend 3 (Languages 3 [speak, understand, read any]; Extra: Affects Others [+1]; 9pp)
Datalink 20 (Flaw: Limited [to Green Lantern Corps database only; -1]; 10pp)
Flight 8 (2,500 MPH; 16pp)
Immunity 30 (Fortitude effects; 30pp)
Illusion 1 [Environmental Playback] (Visual and Auditory; Flaw: Limited [to playback; -1]; Power Feat: Progression 2 [area; 25 ft. radius]; 4pp)
Morph 1 (any object; 3pp)
Protection 16 (16pp)
Quickness 6 (x100; Flaw: One Type [mental; -1]; 3pp)
Shrinking 20 (Extra: Continuous [+1]; Flaw: Permanent [-1]; Power Feat: Innate; 21pp)
Space Travel 1 (Power Feat: Hyperspace; 2pp)
Super-Senses 17 (Danger Sense [mental], Detect Life 2 [mental; Acute], Detect Willpower 3 [mental; Assessment, Ranged], Electromagnetic Awareness 3 [mental; Acute, Analytical], Spatial Awareness [Extended 2], Time Sense; 16pp)

Combat: Attack +0 [+12; size]; Damage +0; Defense +0 [+12; size]; Initiative +5

Saves: Toughness +16 [+11; size], Fortitude --, Reflex +10, Will +0

Drawbacks: Disability (no hands; Common, Major; -4pp)

Abilities 0 + Skills 15 (60 ranks) + Feats 4 + Powers 130 + Combat 0 + Saves 5 - Drawbacks 4 = Total 150

:!: Updated 9/16/2009 :!: I decided to update Jordan’s build at the same time I revise the power ring. Most of the changes involve how the various qualities and limitations of the ring are handled. It contrasts how Lanterns and non-Lanterns use the ring by having Lanterns buy off the various drawbacks, while non-Lanterns have to overcome them in other ways.

Samson
Zealot
Zealot

Re: requests?

Postby Samson » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:02 am

Taliesin wrote:
djday45 wrote:Just a quick messege to say I love your builds. I'm not sure if you take requests but here goes for two of my favourite Marvel villains, Count Nefaria in his full powered state and the Grey Gargoyle.

rgds
Dean

I kind of take requests. I keep a list of everything that's requested, but I don't get to them by date of request or anything but just do whichever characters strike my fancy.

Please consider doing a 3e version of the Count when you make your new Marvel 3e thread (or even the 2e version if you could spare the time, Nefaria is my favorite Avengers villian)
"This is me, yo, right here." - Wallace, The Wire: Episode 12

Psistrike
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Psistrike » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:05 am

*sits down with a page of popcorn, reading the DCA PDF and wondering when Taliesin will log on and start posting his 3rd edition builds* 8)

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Taliesin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:11 am

Psistrike wrote:*sits down with a page of popcorn, reading the DCA PDF and wondering when Taliesin will log on and start posting his 3rd edition builds* 8)

Hah, still helping with proofing some stuff. And am at work. And wondering if a new Forums will be online for 3E (I have no idea). Will probably start a thread when I get home. Also playing around with formatting issues for the builds, but expect the icons up tonight.

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Taliesin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:39 am

Ah, heck, since someone asked earlier...

Do your job!

Spider-Man
PL10

Abilities
Strength 8, Stamina 7, Agility 12, Dexterity 4, Fighting 6, Intellect 5, Awareness 4, Presence 3

Powers
Spider-Movement: Leaping 2; Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling 2); Speed 1 (4 MPH) • 7 points
Spider-Senses: Enhanced Advantages 2 (Improved Initiative, Uncanny Dodge), Senses 1 (Danger Sense [mental]) • 3 points
Web-Shooters: 27 points, Removable (–5 points) • 22 points total
    Web Ball: Ranged Affliction 8 (Resisted by Dodge; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobilized), Cumulative, Extra Condition, Limited to Two Degrees • 24 points
    • Web Throw: Move Object 8 • 1 point
    Web Swing: Movement 1 (Swinging) • 2 points

Equipment
Camera: Feature 1 • 1 point
Flashlight: Feature 1 (Illumination) • 1 point
Spider-Tracers: Feature 1 (Tracking) • 1 point

Advantages
Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Equipment, Evasion 2, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Inventor, Move-by Action, Taunt, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 8 (+20), Close Combat: Unarmed 6 (+12), Deception 12 (+15), Expertise: Science 4 (+9), Investigation 4 (+9), Perception 8 (+12), Ranged Combat: Web-Shooters 6 (+10), Technology 6 (+11)

Offense
Initiative +14
Unarmed +12, Close, Damage 8
Web-Shooters +10, Ranged, Affliction 8 or Move Object 8

Defense
Dodge 13, Parry 13
Toughness 7, Fortitude 9, Will 11

Power Points
Abilities 98 + Powers 32 + Advantages 9 + Skills 27 + Defenses 17 = Total 183

Complications
Enemy: Extensive rogues gallery.
Power Loss: Many storylines involve Spider-Man losing his powers. Peter Parker loses all powers and has Str and Sta 1, Agi, Dex, and Fgt 2.
Responsibility: Comes with great power.
Secret Identity: Peter Parker, photographer for the Daily Bugle.

Base: New York City, New York

Design Notes: Forthcoming

Unknown Soldier
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Taliesin's builds: Spider-Man 3E!

Postby Unknown Soldier » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:45 am

Now I wish I had a book to go with this.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Taliesin's builds: Spider-Man 3E!

Postby Arkrite » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:50 am

The book is up for pre-ordernow. And if you pre-order the hardcopy you can get the PDF for an additional $5 and download it... now.

Return to “Roll Call”