Taliesin's builds: 3E moved to sister thread

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Tyrant Lizard King
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Taliesin's builds: Spider-Man 3E!

Postby Tyrant Lizard King » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:36 pm

Gothenem wrote:
Tyrant Lizard King wrote:
Taliesin wrote:•Works for me.

Hold down Alt the whole time you type 0149, then let go of Alt.

Also List without list=, just plain list works.

Can't get it to work. If I hold them all and then let go of Alt, it just repeats 9 or 0, generally. If I hold Alt and hit them in order, and then let go of Alt, same thing happens. Odd.

I might be forced to use the stupid asterisk. :(

But still, I like the build, and thanks for the info.

Umm, he should have mentioned, you have to use the numbers on the numeric keypad, not the ones above all the letters on your keyboard.

Hmmm, a few other ideas: Make sure your keyboard configuration is set to the Standard US keayboard.

Thanks! It's a laptop keyboard and doesn't have a distinct number pad. There are alternative functions to some of the keys listed in blue beneath the main function; I have to use the blue function (FN) key to get to that. Let's try this out:

Hm, nothing is happening. Darn it. The keyboard config is set to standard US keyboard.

Ah, well, guess I'll have to take Unkind's pragmatism to heart and copy and paste.

Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby Cinder » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:44 pm

Tyrant Lizard King wrote:Thanks! It's a laptop keyboard and doesn't have a distinct number pad. There are alternative functions to some of the keys listed in blue beneath the main function; I have to use the blue function (FN) key to get to that. Let's try this out:

Hm, nothing is happening. Darn it. The keyboard config is set to standard US keyboard.

Ah, well, guess I'll have to take Unkind's pragmatism to heart and copy and paste.

Make sure you have num lock on.

Press Num Lock, hold down FN and ALT and then hit M-J-U-9. It worked for me and I am on a laptop.

Tyrant Lizard King
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Tyrant Lizard King » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:49 pm

Cinder wrote:
Tyrant Lizard King wrote:Thanks! It's a laptop keyboard and doesn't have a distinct number pad. There are alternative functions to some of the keys listed in blue beneath the main function; I have to use the blue function (FN) key to get to that. Let's try this out:

Make sure you have num lock on.

Press Num Lock, hold down FN and ALT and then hit M-J-U-9. It worked for me and I am on a laptop.

Sorry, Taliesin!

... I don't have a Num Lock on this keyboard. And I can't find it as one of the alternate functions no the keyboard, unless it's using a symbol I don't recognize.

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out!

Something like that?

Weird, they're not filled in like the others, but ah well!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Thorpacolypse » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:17 pm

DesertGhost wrote:
Taliesin wrote:I actually have had no clue as to whether a 3E board is in the works, so I'm a little hesitant to start a new thread.

After looking at how the boards are structured, I'm inclined to say that there will not be a 3e Roll Call board. If past trends hold true, then the Official Rules and Rules boards (labeled "Second Edition") will be brought down to where the 1e boards are located (with the possible deletion of the latter, depending on moderator decisions). Everything else will probably just see 2e gradually phase out as people post more 3e material.

Makes the most sense, otherwise GR may anger those in the different boards who are trying to finish up 2e discussions/games.

Food for thought. :)

I would tend to agree, but you never know. I never thought there'd be a licensed DC game from Green Ronin, either! :wink:

Nice 3E Spidey, Tally. I'm giddy about getting to know the new system. Out of curiosity, why did you set him at PL10 instead of 11 or 12? Offensively it seems right, but defensively just seems a tad low unless you were looking at a younger Peter.
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Taliesin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:18 pm

Thorpacolypse wrote:
DesertGhost wrote:
Taliesin wrote:I actually have had no clue as to whether a 3E board is in the works, so I'm a little hesitant to start a new thread.

After looking at how the boards are structured, I'm inclined to say that there will not be a 3e Roll Call board. If past trends hold true, then the Official Rules and Rules boards (labeled "Second Edition") will be brought down to where the 1e boards are located (with the possible deletion of the latter, depending on moderator decisions). Everything else will probably just see 2e gradually phase out as people post more 3e material.

Makes the most sense, otherwise GR may anger those in the different boards who are trying to finish up 2e discussions/games.

Food for thought. :)

I would tend to agree, but you never know. I never thought there'd be a licensed DC game from Green Ronin, either! :wink:

Nice 3E Spidey, Tally. I'm giddy about getting to know the new system. Out of curiosity, why did you set him at PL10 instead of 11 or 12? Offensively it seems right, but defensively just seems a tad low unless you were looking at a younger Peter.

Iconic Spidey, really, which is also the current Spidey. I'll have some notes (and maybe statblocks) written up for newer versions of Spidey. Mainly, Str and Defenses will increase.

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Taliesin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:21 pm

Cap was here. Moved to new thread.
Last edited by Taliesin on Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DesertGhost
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby DesertGhost » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:34 pm

Thorpacolypse wrote:Nice 3E Spidey, Tally. I'm giddy about getting to know the new system. Out of curiosity, why did you set him at PL10 instead of 11 or 12? Offensively it seems right, but defensively just seems a tad low unless you were looking at a younger Peter.

Given how the new Defend action works, in conjunction with the Improved Defense and Uncanny Dodge, I think it works pretty well. Spidey is extremely hard to hit, but not impossible. Improved Defense gives him +2 and then he can roll, with a minimum of 11, to improve his defense even further. So he has a +15 to his Defend roll (minimum of 26 with a 10% chance of 35). Pretty good to me.

He does seem to get hit when he tries something, and is only "invulnerable" when he is flipping and dodging about (dedicated defense).

Experience-wise, I don't see him any higher than a Black Canary or Nightwing (both of which are at a PL 10), nor does he regularly take on *many* villains that are much more powerful than those that Nightwing handles. His is just a power focus over skill focus for the same level, which allows his villains to be of a similar degree but also possess a power focus.

But I do see where you have a problem with his defense, since Batman's is higher, and Spidey should be more defensible (at least in Dodging) than Bats (Batman can still have the higher Parry given his skill in fighting).

Maybe increase Spidey to PL 11 (allowing him to maintain the +7 Toughness and get a +15 Dodge/Parry)? His offensive caps would increase as well, though.

Murdoc
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Taliesin's builds: 3E moved to sister thread

Postby Murdoc » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:56 am

Just to let you know, your one of my favorite builders. You are excellent. I especially like your braniac builds
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Taliesin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:01 am

Murdoc wrote:Just to let you know, your one of my favorite builders. You are excellent. I especially like your braniac builds

Thanks. I always appreciate praise. And criticism too, for that matter.

Emmerlaus
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Emmerlaus » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:49 am

Same here!!! My favorite build you made is Clayface, he ROCKS !!! :)

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Taliesin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:32 pm

Emmerlaus wrote:Same here!!! My favorite build you made is Clayface, he ROCKS !!! :)

Wow, my thread got resurrected after a two month absence. Thanks!

PsionicFox
Bystander
Bystander

Postby PsionicFox » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:58 pm

Hey Tal, I have to say, I really love all of your builds, but I noticed a rather glaring flaw. Your Iceman build needs fixing. He has an Alternate Dynamic Power of Environmental Control at Rank 15.

Both the main effects (Hamper movement, and Distraction) cost 2pp/rank, meaning that would cost 60pp, and far beyond the point allowance for his dynamic power. The you throw in mix-and-match, and it becomes 75pp.

If you kept those effects, his Environmental Control should only be Rank 6.

Other than this tiny isse, your builds rock man, and I'm enjoying following your 3E thread!

Cheers.

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Taliesin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:26 pm

PsionicFox wrote:Hey Tal, I have to say, I really love all of your builds, but I noticed a rather glaring flaw. Your Iceman build needs fixing. He has an Alternate Dynamic Power of Environmental Control at Rank 15.

Both the main effects (Hamper movement, and Distraction) cost 2pp/rank, meaning that would cost 60pp, and far beyond the point allowance for his dynamic power. The you throw in mix-and-match, and it becomes 75pp.

If you kept those effects, his Environmental Control should only be Rank 6.

Other than this tiny isse, your builds rock man, and I'm enjoying following your 3E thread!

Cheers.

No, it's correct. I specified that it's using the Mix-and-Match Environments option from Ultimate Power, which means that he can use any combination of effects adding up to 2pp/rank.

PsionicFox
Bystander
Bystander

Postby PsionicFox » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:34 pm

You're going to have to clarify that for me. Because according to Hero Lab (and my own calculations), you're doing it wrong.

You have Hamper (25% speed), which is 2pp/rank, Distract (DC 10), which is 2pp/rank, and Mix-and-Match, which is 1pp/rank, making his Environmental Control (at Rank 15) cost 75pp (5pp/rank).

I get the feeling I'm missing something really obvious, so if you could explain it, I'd be very happy.

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Taliesin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:41 pm

PsionicFox wrote:You're going to have to clarify that for me. Because according to Hero Lab (and my own calculations), you're doing it wrong.

You have Hamper (25% speed), which is 2pp/rank, Distract (DC 10), which is 2pp/rank, and Mix-and-Match, which is 1pp/rank, making his Environmental Control (at Rank 15) cost 75pp (5pp/rank).

I get the feeling I'm missing something really obvious, so if you could explain it, I'd be very happy.

Mix-and-Match doesn't cost anything. It simply makes the Environmental Control power a mini-dynamic power. With EC 15, I specify 2pp/rank, for a pool of 30pp. Using Mix and Match, you can designate a specified number of points per rank to effects (in this case 2pp--see my Thor build for an example of 4pp/rank). So I can take Hamper 25% speed, or Distract DC 10, or Hamper 50% speed plus Distract DC 5, as long as the total point cost adds up to 2pp/rank.

You should check out the sidebar explaining Mix and Match Environments in Ultimate Power. I don't use Herolab, but it seems like it has the rules wrong.

Return to “Roll Call”