Newbie GM Question - Conditions

Here M&M GMs can trade tips and seek inspiration. Look out for SPOILERS! Players, surf elsewhere or ruin your own fun.
muggins
Bystander
Bystander

Newbie GM Question - Conditions

Postby muggins » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:40 am

Hi,

I am now running Emerald City Knights and we're having a great time. The players just entered a fight and I have a character with the following power:

Affliction: Affliction 11 (21 PP)
1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Defenseless, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Will, DC 21; Reach
(ranged) 10: 50 ft. (Standard - Close, 50ft. - Instant)

He's basically a gross dude who can disgust people into being afflicted. We have played a lot of 4E D&D, Star Wars D20, WEG SW, etc but this is our first time playing M&M. I can't figure out - if he hits with this power, then they fail their resistance, how long does the condition last?

Does anyone have any advice for players with this kind of power? I'd appreciate anything. I think we're playing mostly correct but this game is much different from anything we've played before (in a good way).

thaumonuclear
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Newbie GM Question - Conditions

Postby thaumonuclear » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:15 am

If they fail by one or two degrees, the victim makes another resistance check following their next action, and then again after each action. If they make this resistance check the effect goes away. If they fail by 3 degrees, they remain incapacitated for 10 rounds.

So, if they fail by 1-5 (they roll 16-20), they are Dazed. After their action (which is only a move or a standard action) they make another resistance check and if they pass, the Daze effect is gone. (This is different than Daze applied by a Damage effect, which only ever lasts 1 round)

If they fail by 6-10 (they roll 11-15), they are defensless. After each of their actions they make a resistance check, if they make their check the whole effect goes away.

If they fail by 11 or more (10 or below), they are incapacitated for a minute, and do not get further resistance checks.

muggins
Bystander
Bystander

Postby muggins » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:45 am

Thanks! So if they fail by three degrees, they are incapacitated for one round and then they wake up with no further effects?

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:09 am

Ten rounds = one minute!

Pardum
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pardum » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:56 pm

If the affliction lasts until a resistance check succeeds why would you want to add the concentration modifier to the affliction effect? Would it be because the character that casts the effect can essentially "reset" it and make the target have to beat another resistance check to remove the modifier?

Beleriphon
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Beleriphon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:18 pm

Pardum wrote:If the affliction lasts until a resistance check succeeds why would you want to add the concentration modifier to the affliction effect? Would it be because the character that casts the effect can essentially "reset" it and make the target have to beat another resistance check to remove the modifier?

Its because the effect sticks until the character stops concentrating and then the target gets to make new resistance checks.

Pardum
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pardum » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:13 am

Ok. That makes a lot more sense than the way I was thinking about it.

Return to “GMs' Eyes Only”