Gathering Heroes: First team up inspiration

Here M&M GMs can trade tips and seek inspiration. Look out for SPOILERS! Players, surf elsewhere or ruin your own fun.
crashmurdoch
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Gathering Heroes: First team up inspiration

Postby crashmurdoch » Mon May 13, 2013 12:56 pm

Hey gang

I'm about a month or so away from starting up a DC game and I was looking for inspiration on how to get the team together.

How have you all run first adventures?
What "glue" do you use to keep the group together?

I'm curious to see how others have handled first session.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Gathering Heroes: First team up inspiration

Postby saint_matthew » Mon May 13, 2013 7:38 pm

crashmurdoch wrote:I'm about a month or so away from starting up a DC game and I was looking for inspiration on how to get the team together.

My suggestion is simple: DON'T!

This is where players kill a game the fastest: Unless you lead them by the nose, they will deviate into weird narrative locations. You plan on running a city based avengers-ish game, based on the concepts & styles of Busieks run, the next thing you know the players are using there collective surplus equipment points to build an orbital Watchtower & trying to figure out how many javelin jets they want.

My best suggestion is either have a Player Manifesto (which clearly spells out what is expected), or skip the "You all meet up in a tavern, where you are approached by a dark stranger" & just hand wave the initial meeting away, an move on as a recently established team.

For my next campaign i was actually thinking about handwaving it away, with some comments about an unsolved robot attack & then a couple of adventures in bring back the robot threat & have the players play out there "team origin" as a retroactive story, where they look at everything for clues to this new case.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

crashmurdoch
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby crashmurdoch » Mon May 13, 2013 9:37 pm

Well in my last game I came up with a great way to get everyone together, an annoying little thing we all have to deal with....

Jury Duty!

The PC heroes, in their secret identities, were members of the Jury for Dr Light's latest trial. Well all of them except one, who was a police officer, so I made him the arresting officer (who was scheduled to testify that day). During the early parts of the trial the Fatal Five attacked the court trying to free Doctor Light and the PCs had to figure out how to get into costume and take them on. It was pretty fun! :)

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Crazyivan777 » Wed May 15, 2013 4:35 pm

I -love- the jury duty idea!

In past campaigns I have done the player manifesto thing- talked with the players beforehand about how they're a team, and talked with them about how they -became- a team. A few different scenarios have come up:

1) White event. They all got their powers from the same lab experiment, which the Czar then crashed and killed the scientists who held the secret to the powers.

2) High school. Yeah, I like running teen superhero games, and this one's a cinch.

3) The city that they're in only has a few other heroes than them, and the city is suddenly under a massive force-dome. They're the only heroes that can do anything about it.

4) They all have one NPC in their backgrounds in common, a terrible villain. One day the villain calls them out to a city way out of the way, and they find... He's become a superhero there. He wants them because he can trust them to be 'fair' with the new crop of villains he knows is on the way (because unobtanium was just found below the city). Third session, kill the villain. Heroes now are the town's only protectors.

5) I once ran a game in which all the PC's were from the same family. It made for an interesting dynamic.

6) for whatever reason, all the PC's know each others' secret identities, and thus have that bond when heroes are needed.

Hope one / some of those help you!

Torrent
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Torrent » Wed May 15, 2013 5:54 pm

I just started running my M&M 3e campaign and took St. Matthew's advice. I asked the players to create backstories in which they had something in common. I also gave them some background and major events of our world (supers have only been around for 3 years or so...basically a paragons setting). Once that was done, I asked them to take the first 15 minutes of the first session to tell me about their first "encounter" as a group and how they decided to team up after that. I then ran the rest of the first session which had them all at a new year's eve party - that I tied into two of the PCs' backgrounds - that was attacked by eco-terrorists intent on taking hostages and demanding some of their brethren be released from prison. Basically I totally stole the plot to Die Hard 'cause the terrorist attack was just a front for another crime that the PCs found out about after defeating the terrorists and doing some investigation.

I can't tell you how much better it was to not waste too much time trying to get them to team up. I just made it part of the backstory. Thanks St. M for suggesting it in that other tread!

reb8er
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby reb8er » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:22 pm

I am having all my players come up with Team-Up stories ( 2 per player) . I gave them 1pp per team-up for their base and vehicle. This allows them to make a villain for the game, and have a connection they can relate to in the first game

Return to “GMs' Eyes Only”