Help with Boston and Baseball flavor

Here M&M GMs can trade tips and seek inspiration. Look out for SPOILERS! Players, surf elsewhere or ruin your own fun.
Leogun_91
Bystander
Bystander

Help with Boston and Baseball flavor

Postby Leogun_91 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:38 am

Hi
I'm looking for help to make adventures/sidequests/details with a Boston and/or Baseball theme, I'll however start with some background.
I'm currently making Mutants and Masterminds roleplays with individual superhero skype sessions as well as real roleplay meetings for avenger style gatherings. The setting is our world with superpowers and the only differences existing being made by players (there was a race of ancients, a race of bioengineers, one of the player is one of them, in addition a British doctor in Laser Science invented effective laserweapons, a player plays that doctor).
One of my players choose to make a baseball themed superhero from Boston, Red Sock, he is an american teen with a magic baseball bat (an artefact with teleportation, super accurate and strong hitting and an ability to send people 12 seconds into the future), he tweets about his heroics, plays lots of Videogames and has a treehouse (with electricity) where he spends a lot of his time.

He is Boston and Baseball themed but since I know little about either I thought I'd ask for help on how to make my adventures feel like they were set in Boston rather than "American town setting #5" and some adventure/side-quest ideas with a Boston or Baseball feeling.
I'm from Sweden so be a bit patient with me when talking about Baseball, I haven't played it ever and have never watched a single game, I have seen it depicted in movies but that's it.

BigStereotype
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: Help with Boston and Baseball flavor

Postby BigStereotype » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:55 am

As far as Red Sock goes, just make sure he's second best at everything but has delusions of grandeur and you've got 'em just about nailed.
I am in love with Annie Edison

Follow me on twitter! @Big_Stereotype

CENTINULL
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby CENTINULL » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:19 pm

There is a pathological rivalry between Boston and NY sports fans. A NY based Rival, like "The Yankee" for Red Sock would be fitting.

If he is anywhere other than Massachussetts, have people ask him if he from Boston. When he says yes, have them remark "that they knew it" and they could tell from the accent.

Clam Chowder is white, not Red, and pronounced Clam Chow da. Serving him Red Clam Chowder should make him visibly upset, and be roughly equivalent to serving Superman Cream of Kryptonite Soup.

Beleriphon
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Beleriphon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:48 pm

Leogun_91 wrote:He is Boston and Baseball themed but since I know little about either I thought I'd ask for help on how to make my adventures feel like they were set in Boston rather than "American town setting #5" and some adventure/side-quest ideas with a Boston or Baseball feeling.
I'm from Sweden so be a bit patient with me when talking about Baseball, I haven't played it ever and have never watched a single game, I have seen it depicted in movies but that's it.

My suggestion is that you can find some pretty good clips and recordings, both audio and visual, from baseball history on YouTube. That would probably be a pretty good place to start.

CENTINULL
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby CENTINULL » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:28 pm

Short instructional clips on how to talk "Boston"

http://talkboston.com/learn/kahkeez

Theyah is also an english to bahstin translatawr (There is also an english to Boston translator)

http://talkboston.com/translate

peregrine
Cohort
Cohort

Postby peregrine » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:42 pm

Try molasses.

Ultimus
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Ultimus » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:24 pm

Im from Boston and i def suggest the Yankee character. The rivalry gets out of god damn hand. This is a huge baseball town and when the sox won in 2004 like 6 people died in celebration.

The city is really close and accessible by train. Wiki a map and its districts. I did that with a chr i made from Stockholm.

Return to “GMs' Eyes Only”