How do you take over a nation?

Here M&M GMs can trade tips and seek inspiration. Look out for SPOILERS! Players, surf elsewhere or ruin your own fun.
Sriseru
Zealot
Zealot

How do you take over a nation?

Postby Sriseru » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:18 am

So I've had this idea for a campaign.
Basically, the idea is that the players are a group of supervillains (most of whom I assume are from the US) who take over a small island-nation in the Pacific. Here's my problem though, I'm not sure how the international community would react to this.

Any thoughts or advice on this?

peregrine
Cohort
Cohort

Re: How do you take over a nation?

Postby peregrine » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:58 am

The best way is to get some semblance of legitimacy. Also, it depends on whether or not any other countries want it, or want a legit government in the area.

biggmcg
Bystander
Bystander

Postby biggmcg » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:47 pm

What if the villains triggered an underwater volcano that created an island? They could then push through a UN resolution declaring it a new independent country, giving them total legitimacy in the eyes of the world, and causing massive legal problems for heroes trying to attack their not so secret base. Imagine the heroes storming up the volcanic beach, still red hot in places, fighting through an army of minions, before getting the radio call telling them to stop invading the soil of a sovereign country under threat of extreme international sanction.

peregrine
Cohort
Cohort

Postby peregrine » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:13 pm

Oh no. The UN might do something. That doesn't matter. After a few years.

They will need to get buddy-buddy with some UN members, either Permanent Members on the Security Council, or a sizable bloc of the general assembly. Or both. Security Council for the veto of relevant proposals, GA to maybe get some stuff going for them. And even then, it's only as useful as the heroes are willing to allow it to be. Most heroes operate without official sanction anyways.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:26 am

Sriseru wrote:So I've had this idea for a campaign.
Basically, the idea is that the players are a group of supervillains (most of whom I assume are from the US) who take over a small island-nation in the Pacific. Here's my problem though, I'm not sure how the international community would react to this.

Any thoughts or advice on this?

Believe it or not, i've done it.

I had a pirate island be taken over by a super villian very similiar to The Mandarin. Then when the UN said "we are not going to give you status as a country" he turned around & said, thats fine with me, i wasn't planning on applying for it, after all its in international waters, he who can hold control is in charge... An then he turned around and revitalised the country into a world tech leader. At which point the UN came crawling back & the villain just turned down the offer. Oh sure the country is still a militaristic facist tyrannical regime, but he sure has a great economic platform.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Sriseru
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Sriseru » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:36 am

I think I might have come up with a good way to do this. I'll set the game in the middle of the Cold War, a year after the Cuban Revolution. I'll have the PCs be mercenaries hired by the extremely corrupt government of a fictional island nation.
After doing one or two adventures, the PCs get contacted by the CIA who fear that a communist revolution may just be beyond the horizon, and tells the PCs that if they take over and promote capitalist values, they will have the support of the US. The KGB then contacts the PCs and asks them to start a communist revolution in return for USSR support.
Whatever the PCs choose to do, they'll have the support of one superpower, which will help their new government become legitimate.

What do you think? Would this work?

Emerald Flame
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Emerald Flame » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:06 pm

biggmcg wrote:What if the villains triggered an underwater volcano that created an island? They could then push through a UN resolution declaring it a new independent country, giving them total legitimacy in the eyes of the world, and causing massive legal problems for heroes trying to attack their not so secret base. Imagine the heroes storming up the volcanic beach, still red hot in places, fighting through an army of minions, before getting the radio call telling them to stop invading the soil of a sovereign country under threat of extreme international sanction.

Just saw the post.... Didn't Gi Joe address this problem with COBRA Island?
Emerald Flame's 3e Builds
Emerald Flame's 2e Misc. Builds

The ultimate measure of a person is not where they stand in moments of comfort, but where they stand at times of challenge and controversy. -Martin Luther King, Jr.-

Return to “GMs' Eyes Only”