Fun things your players have done

Here M&M GMs can trade tips and seek inspiration. Look out for SPOILERS! Players, surf elsewhere or ruin your own fun.
Bluecross
Mastermind
Mastermind

Fun things your players have done

Postby Bluecross » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:36 am

I couldn't see a recent thread on this, so I thought I'd start one:

What are some of the fun / funny / unexpected things your players have done in your games?

One of the real pleasures of GMing (for me, anyway) is seeing how the players approach a situation. I like it when they find a way to tackle a problem that you hadn't thought of. When they drive a bulldozer through your carefully-crafted plot and ride off in another direction...

An example:

I set up a situation where my players would be facing a bunch of 'controlled' forest animals. These were a sort of minion prelude to a bigger threat. I was expecting my players to fight it out with them, and then press on.

Instead they : made a cage (the plant controller) and lifted the animals into it (the Gadgeteer with a gravity gun), where they could be safely quarantined until their back-up could sort it out.

What have your players done that surprised you or blew you away?
"I know gun fu"

Crusher - Batch 9

Curt Mardis :- Tracer - Albright Institute

Connor MacLeod - LoEP

Minos - Wild Cards

GM for Toledo Knights

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Fun things your players have done

Postby Crazyivan777 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:55 pm

I'll be damned if I can remember -exactly- what was said, but I do recall in one of my long-running campaigns, one of the PC's was in a neutral meeting place with the big-bad, and said the -exact- right thing at the -exact- right moment to make said villain suddenly re-examine their whole reason for villainy.

The next month's game, said villain joined the heros' side, and I'd started re-writing the entire campaign plan. It was glorious!

Another great unexpected moment involved the PC's deciding to play a prank on an NPC, and inadvertently poisoning a hidden assassin in the process.

GothicSilencer
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby GothicSilencer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:42 pm

Two PCs, a Priest with cold-powers and a Werewolf, in a medieval campaign, were accosted inside the priest's HQ (a church). The villain had very high levels of Regeneration, and silver weapons, because he came here to do away with "the evil satan-spawn of a lycanthrope."

He was supposed to be a recurring Vegeta-style character, who will eventually help the heroes out of a sense of rivalry, rather than a straight villain. However, the Priest's player looks at me and asks "We're in my church, right? Are my holy-water reservoirs filled with water right now?" Yes, I say, thinking that this isn't a vampire or anything, so holy water will be useless in this fight. He proceeds to have the Werewolf PC throw the holy water on the villain's legs, and Power Stunts his cold beam attack (forget his name for the power) into a Transform Water into Ice power. So the villain is unable to run away, the Werewolf shifts into Hybrid form, rips the guys head off, and then they incinerate the head and body.

Even if I had this character come back from the dead, he'd hold a pretty big grudge, moreso than the competitive rivalry I had planned, so I scrapped the villain and had to re-write the rest of the campaign to account for the PC's no longer having his aid.

My PC's never let the badguy go if they can help it.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
-Albert Einstein

If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons.
-Winston Churchill

Thugger The Slugger
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Thugger The Slugger » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:48 am

I remember the first game I ever did consisted of a wizard, a man who was really French, and a Absorption/Tank with a hook for a hand. They ended up thwarting a drug bust and stumbled onto some cocaine. Frenchie had Speed(only while retreating) and Physical Quickness so he could paint pictures and they come to life....Long story short he snorted the entire brick of cocaine in a turn and had to spend a hero point to live.

He didn't live much longer after that.
"The whole principle of censorship is wrong. It's like demanding that grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't have steak." - Mark Twain

"Why is it that the contemptibly ignorant always invoke the almighty?" - The Question

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:04 am

There was once upon a time, when a player proved why Feature Quick Change (any clothes) is absolutely terrifying when players feel like being a jerk.

I had one hero find that a villain was essentially above the law & that he himself couldn't go after him for different legal reasons... So he used his power to change into an evil version of his own costume & went & beat the guy up any way, while yelling about "this is what you get for working my territory with out my say so"... When questioned about what had happened back in his regular costume he pleaded ignorance & claimed it was his evil twin from an alternate universe... Guy had a high enough deception roll that the authorities believed him.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

tggdan3
Bystander
Bystander

Postby tggdan3 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:56 pm

I had a player- the action took place at walmart and the greeter refused to allow him to enter the store with his mask on.
The PC was stopped by the walmart greeter as he refused to remove his mask and would not push past the guy.

biggmcg
Bystander
Bystander

Postby biggmcg » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:02 pm

My player group just captured a ninja. Then they've taken him back to their secret headquarters and locked him in a cell. And they're not guarding him. :shock:

Guess they'll need a new secret headquarters then.

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Crazyivan777 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:47 pm

*facepalm*

Yeah, tonight my PC's were stealthing through a forest looking for a bandit camp. They found the sentries (demons), and in the ensuing fight one of them activated her brightly glowing wings, and another -knocked down a tree-, and they later marveled at the fact that the bandits knew they were coming after that.

biggmcg
Bystander
Bystander

Postby biggmcg » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:30 pm

Aaaaaaaand now they've topped the ninja thing. They found a drug on some junkies who manifested random powers; rather than doing sensible lab tests, they fed it to a rat.

Rat promptly manifests teleportation and disappears. This may be the basis for the destruction of New York City by an army of super rats. How fast do they breed, again?

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Crazyivan777 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:48 pm

Oh ghod that's like candy for a GM!

In one of my games, one of the PC's had the 'create anything' power (yeah, I learned my lesson from that one) and created living things (ferrets). Well, one of the overarcing plots of the game was about souls (who or what had them), and I decided created life didn't. The ferrets were quickly possessed by demons that had a grudge against the heroes, and they began stealing things to make a ferret-sized summoning circle under the hero base (the stonehenge made of mobile phones, I felt, was a nice touch.)

peregrine
Cohort
Cohort

Postby peregrine » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:19 pm

biggmcg wrote:Aaaaaaaand now they've topped the ninja thing. They found a drug on some junkies who manifested random powers; rather than doing sensible lab tests, they fed it to a rat.

Rat promptly manifests teleportation and disappears. This may be the basis for the destruction of New York City by an army of super rats. How fast do they breed, again?

About 3 weeks gestation period. Just about the only thing reliably quicker than that is the opossum.

crashmurdoch
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby crashmurdoch » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:31 am

biggmcg wrote:Rat promptly manifests teleportation and disappears. This may be the basis for the destruction of New York City by an army of super rats. How fast do they breed, again?

Sound like a perfect way to bring in Pack Rat from the Threat Report.

mirilion
Groupie
Groupie

Postby mirilion » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:20 pm

The characters are cornered in a New York apartment belonging to one of them. FBI agents just arrived and got out of their unmarked vans outside. It's the middle of the day in Manhattan. Three of the four characters are all "let's be careful and think this through"; but the fourth, being drunk, summoned a 20 foot tall valkyrie warrior instead, and told her to smash them to bits. The giant, bikini-chainmail-wearing, huge-sword-wielding mega warrior exploded out of the side of the building and charged across the street, bits of brick and pavement spreading everywhere. Mind you, the world doesn't know about super powers yet. So yeah, that happened.

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:58 am

One of my players' character is Macho Man Randy Savage with a speedster power set. I'm a bit unclear if he's actually supposed to be Randy Savage, or if he's just a big fan of Randy Savage, but the important thing is that the player does an amazing impression of Randy Savage, the character is described as wearing a cowboy hat and tasseled super suit, and all his attacks are described as wrestling moves. He's pretty much become the team's spokesperson. I haven't been a wrestling fan in like two decades, but he still hilarious.

I'm about to reward the player by introducing a plot where he defends Earth in a serries of title matches in the Galactic Wrestling Federation. All his opponents will also be themed after classic wrestlers.

mattador
Comrade
Comrade

Postby mattador » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:16 pm

I trust you have seen the Dexter's Lab episode featuring Rasslor (Voiced by Randy Savage):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFNcUeM5P3I

Return to “GMs' Eyes Only”