How many players is too many?

Here M&M GMs can trade tips and seek inspiration. Look out for SPOILERS! Players, surf elsewhere or ruin your own fun.
anotherlostsoul
Bystander
Bystander

How many players is too many?

Postby anotherlostsoul » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:56 am

I've been a GM for a very long time now (the better part of 3 decades) across a large number of games and settings, but I have only just started my first M&M3e campaign. Recently, however, I've found myself in an unusual situation: my weekly gaming group is growing much larger than I've ever had to cope with before. While I realize that every game system is different, I'm left wondering: at what point is a gaming group too large for the M&M system and how do you adjust encounter balance for larger groups of heroes?

CAA
Bystander
Bystander

Re: How many players is too many?

Postby CAA » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:39 am

How many players are too many is hard to define. In my current group a 4th player would be too much, because all 3 players are very active (while playing and also when it comes to writing stuff in our group forum). In Another group we could easily stock up 1-2 more players, because the players in that group are rather inactive.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Re: How many players is too many?

Postby saint_matthew » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:43 am

anotherlostsoul wrote:I've been a GM for a very long time now (the better part of 3 decades) across a large number of games and settings, but I have only just started my first M&M3e campaign. Recently, however, I've found myself in an unusual situation: my weekly gaming group is growing much larger than I've ever had to cope with before. While I realize that every game system is different, I'm left wondering: at what point is a gaming group too large for the M&M system and how do you adjust encounter balance for larger groups of heroes?

The second you think "gee I might have to many players" chances are that you are right. If you get to many players pull a Justice Society/All Stars & split the party into two different teams, run two different games, or let someone else run one.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Return to “GMs' Eyes Only”