Help With Quickstart

Here M&M GMs can trade tips and seek inspiration. Look out for SPOILERS! Players, surf elsewhere or ruin your own fun.
weirdal
Bystander
Bystander

Help With Quickstart

Postby weirdal » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:27 am

Tomorrow, I plan on running a quickstart game to introduce some friends to this game. My idea is a sort of War of the Worlds theme. Aliens arrive at Earth and let loose a massive invasion.

I want the military to be practically impotent against the threat (I have this image of F-22 in terribly one sided dogfights with alien drone craft) while the armored ground forces overwhelm almost anything the military can dish out.

My issue is, if I do that the heroes might not be able to succeed against them (I'd have to give the aliens, at least, Impervious 12 -- 22 if I want the missiles from the jets to do nothing; though I could have jamming technology that makes locks hard to get).

Currently, my players have chosen Powerhouse, Psychic and Battlesuit (I have one who likes the Construct and Gadgeteer, but can't decide).

Any suggestions or advice? I could just describe it as one-sided, but when they see a tank round bounce off of an armored soldier (it could be the aliens' version of a tank, perhaps), they are going to wonder how effective they would be against them.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Help With Quickstart

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:40 am

There is also Immunity (Bullets) and Immunity (Explosives) so that it's just the conventional weaponry that's bouncing off. If you want to subtly indicate that the aliens have only made themselves bullet-proof, you could do something like have a confused bird fly at high speed into a tripod and leave a small dent, or show a tripod get temporarily bowled over by a falling tree (it might take a Notice check to notice this happening), giving the players a chance to work out that alternate methods might work. A more explicit way to bring it in could be to have another super (possibly a government sponsored one or a local hero) dash in and do a bit of damage before he gets taken down by a lucky hit (so that the players don't expect him to do the job for them).

weirdal
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Help With Quickstart

Postby weirdal » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:39 am

I've thought about using immunity (maybe they knock out some central computer and their devices no longer protect them against conventional weapons).

The other idea is to have the rank and file troops succumb to regular attacks only when their support vehicle is not around (the vehicle projects some sort of protective field around them, making them immune to bullets and explosives), so the heroes can deal with a tough opponent and several not so tough opponents while making it easier for the military to clean up the ground troops.

Ultimately, the heroes are going to make their way to the coast and see a much larger ship that is launching all these craft. Taking it out will stop the attack at the city.

Taking out the mothership (in orbit) will stop the invasion (they aren't the only supers dealing with the problem and they may bump into other supers from around the world).

Return to “GMs' Eyes Only”