Looking for advice on dwarven Tech

Here M&M GMs can trade tips and seek inspiration. Look out for SPOILERS! Players, surf elsewhere or ruin your own fun.
kanly
Groupie
Groupie

Looking for advice on dwarven Tech

Postby kanly » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:10 am

I am looking for advice on how to make an item from Norse legend.
Skidbladnir was a flying viking longboat capable of shrinking down to fit into the owner's pocket.
I came up with the following, but it is incredibly expensive and doesn't quite match the legendary object.

Statue of Skidbladnir (Easily Removable) 18 pts
Skidbladnir: Create 10 (Volume: 1000 cft., DC 20; Increased Duration: continuous, Innate, Movable, Stationary; Activation 2: standard action, Limited: Only Skidbladnir form)

Another thought was to use equipment points to essentially buy a jet and then use a device with something like the pocket dimension power from 2nd ed to store it, but I am not sure of how to set it up, and it also doesn't quite match the legendary object.

Anyone have any suggestions?

digitalangel
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Looking for advice on dwarven Tech

Postby digitalangel » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:22 am

This was how the 2E mecha and manga book did something similar with the child assassin's rifle to a violin case

High-Powered Assassin’s Rifle: Blast 5 (ballistic;
Penetrating; Improved Range, Precise, Subtle 2;
Alternate Power: Morph 5 [single form as a violin case])

Since all you are really trying to do is give it an alternate form, you could by a really cheap alternate form power for it as well, or just make it a 1 point feature as well.

kanly
Groupie
Groupie

Postby kanly » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:13 pm

thanks for the idea Digitalangel. Morph as an alternate power actually works quite well since the boat then would actually become the new small object unlike both of my examples which had a separate object used.

Beleriphon
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Beleriphon » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:36 am

Skídbladnir the Folding Boat - PL 8
STR 16, Def -6, Tou 17, Size Gargantuan
Powers: Folding Boat Shrinking 20, Swimming 6. Features: Navigation System 3. Totals: Abilities 7 + Powers 46 + Advantages 0 + Features 3 + Skills 0 (0 ranks) + Defenses 6 + Equipment 0 (0 ep) + Weapons & Armor 0 (0 ep) = 62ep (13pp)

There you go. I did as equipment.

kanly
Groupie
Groupie

Postby kanly » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:10 pm

Could I do flying and swimming as alt powers of shrinking as they will never be used at the same time? Would it be fair to lower the cost by limiting shrinking to full strength? Finally, how small does 20 ranks of shrinking make a Gargantuan object (I am thinking only small which is not quite pocket sized, maybe backpack sized)?

Digitalangel, how about
Skidbladnir
Device (Removable -1/5)
Flight 6 (platform, Area effect: Line) 12 pts
Alternate effect (Shrinking 12 Limited: Full power) 1 pt
Cost 11
Last edited by kanly on Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digitalangel
Groupie
Groupie

Postby digitalangel » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:12 pm

If you are trying to do it cheap on points i would do

Device (Skidbladnir) (just can't see this getting past most GM's as equipment, especially a flying version)
Swimming 10 linked growth 4 (this gives a 15ft long boat, growth 8 would give you 30ft) 14 or 18 PPs
AP Flight 5 linked growth (same ranks as above)
AP morph 1 (1 form, statue of Skidbladnir) (you have the point to do more ranks, but why?)

That gives either 16 or 20 PPs depending on how big you want it.

Add some extra toughness to represent armor (possibly with affects others to at least partially protect the crew), a few ranks of feature for a nav system if you want per Beleriphon's suggestion. With what you are trying to represent i would leave off the nav system since this is basically a vehicle for Asgardians, and the way the Norse depicted ther gods they probably just navigate by the stars using skills instead of a nav system. Honestly I might leave off the affects others on any ship's armor since the occupants are probably heavily armored themselves.

Return to “GMs' Eyes Only”