Ideas for a Nemesis

Here M&M GMs can trade tips and seek inspiration. Look out for SPOILERS! Players, surf elsewhere or ruin your own fun.
Saturno
Bystander
Bystander

Ideas for a Nemesis

Postby Saturno » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:32 am

Hello everyone, I'm a long time lurker in here, and now I think I need some advice from you guys.

I'm GMing a campaign of 3M&M for some months by now, and I need help to create a nemesis for one of my players.

My player's character is named GRAVITON, and as you can imagine, he has gravitational powers. His story is a mix of Fantastic Four, Captain Atom and Captain America. He was part of a spaceship who got damaged by a cosmic wave of radiation, he being the last survivor of the crew. Took him years to come back to earth, and when he returned his wife, thinking that he was dead, was married to another man, his former best friend. As one of the first superheroes, he was adopted by the government as the first superhero sponsored by the state. He submited himself to biological tests to comprehend his powers, wore the shoes of a propaganda boy and model soldier for the government and he is loved by everyone in the country. But unlike Captain America (and like Captain Atom) he is more a soldier than a humanist, and is very no-nonsense, having the military hierarchy in high esteem and he is always trying to follow orders. He is that kind of guy who works a lot to forget his personal problems.

In recent events he was forced to face his own taboos, turning himself against the government, to save his family, which was being held hostage by villains (the government was not interested in give the villains what they wanted in exchange for the family). His former best friend, a colonel, also went rogue to save the same family, but failed. Graviton is now being hunted by the government, trying to hide his family while the government starts a campaign to destroy his reputation, and his friend is arrested. I want this friend to become a villain, both agains the hero and against the government, but I do not want him to act as a very capable human with vast resources like Lex Luthor or Nick Fury. I already have other NPCs for that. I want his friend, in desperation, to escape, gain powers and become his nemesis, trying to get back the family he learned to love.

I thought that maybe I could give him some technological armor that he can steal from the military, or maybe he could submitt himself to some kind of experiment, but we already have some kind of "Hulk" in my setting, and I dont know what kind of powers are interesting for someone who will fight a character with gravitational powers, gameplay-wise.

So please, help me with some ideas. Anything!

PS: in my setting there are some cosmic crystals who fell on earth (they are very much like the Terrigen Mists from Marvel) and they are the most common origin for super powers. There is also super-science, aliens (unknown to humanity) and magic (also unknown, except for a few experts and cultists).

PS: Please bear in mind that this player is an expert on science and physics. He always find some original way to use his powers in the best efficient manner. He does not see Gravitational Powers as some kind of Telekinetic Powers, with force fields and blasts an all of that. He bought all those powers, but he understand very well what a gravitational field is and how it works, much better than me, and he use that knowledge to his advantage. So if the team of superheroes is facing a man piloting a giant robot, he would say that he can attack the man inside the robot by increasing or diminishing his weight, without having to actually fight the robot or attack him. He does things like that all the time, always looking for a one-shot win or easy way to succeed.

Thank you for the help and please forgive my broken english!

tggdan3
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Ideas for a Nemesis

Postby tggdan3 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:56 pm

The clearest to me is to have him face enemies he can't just crush with gravity.

1) Possessing Characters, Mind Controlled Minions, or similar characters where you need to stop what they're doing without damaging them since the "body" is not the bad guy.
2) Enemies without a physical form: Astral Bodies, Living Illusions, Ghosts, People projecting themselves through time (or precogs in the past manipulating events in the present) etc where he can try to stop their plans without one-shotting the villains themselves, AIs who control machines without being confined to the machine itself.. in one campaign I had a self-aware corporation (similar to the south park episode something walmart this way comes)
3) Of course, another gravity controller who counters his powers is an easy one, or anyone immune to gravitational fields- though that might be considered cheap.
4) Having adventures take place somewhere where gravity might not be as relevant, such as underwater where buoyancy counteracts gravity or in space itself- though as a physics major he might still win there, unless you declare "comic book physics" and grant a hero point.
5) Enemies who don't make a personal appearance can work too: A shadowy mastermind who works through other supervillains and minions- so he has people to fight but never gets to fight the Big Bad. Like Dr. Claw from inspector Gadget.

Hopefully those help.

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:45 pm

I'm not 100% taken by the friend-turns-enemy angle as presented: seems insufficient grounds to become a serious returning big bad. His guilt re. the "stolen" wife makes it even less so, rather than more-so from my POV. If the hero had thought to "sacrifice" his pal for the hero's benefit, at least as seen by the pal, then I'd be more taken with it. Or if the nemesis was one/more of the hero's children - teenage rage vs. a "missing" father figure who saves everyone else but (seemingly) never tried to save them. Or another survivor of the crew, ejected into the cold hard vacuum of space to die (perhaps n a part of the ship the hero cut-off in an ill-fated attempt to save most of the crew), but - similarly to the hero - the radiation giving them powers comparable to those of wonderboy! (Sorry, got a bit Tenacious D there!) This other super returns to earth a little later, sees the hero being hunted by the fearful humans and thinks "that's how it is then: I'm a freak and they all hate me. Well so be it..." and lo, a villain is born.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:48 pm

If you are going to do the friends turned enemy thing, let the pc make his own bed.... Give him a Situation where there is no right answer, where his friend (possible an inventor) oversteps the ethical line, becomes obsessive. That way when the friend ha an inevitable fall from grace, he has someone to blame & a reason when he turns himself into a super-villain.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Saturno
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Saturno » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:09 am

Thank you for the insight guys, it really helped me! =)

Return to “GMs' Eyes Only”