Real city or created city for a setting?

Here M&M GMs can trade tips and seek inspiration. Look out for SPOILERS! Players, surf elsewhere or ruin your own fun.
falconsfan08
Bystander
Bystander

Real city or created city for a setting?

Postby falconsfan08 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:59 pm

Is it better to use a real city as my setting or to create my own?

If creating my own is a better idea could I get some advice on how to do that very thing?

Thanks!

Pardum
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Real city or created city for a setting?

Postby Pardum » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:46 am

For my setting I made a city. It is a futuristic Seattle type city. The main reason that I made a city though, and didn't just use one that already exists is because I didn't want to get any facts of the city wrong, and so I could be more creative with the layout and what is in the city. Hope this helps.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:25 am

There's benefits and drawbacks for each method. Personally, I prefer using created cities because it avoids the "Baker Street problem" where you'll state a fact about the city in your game, such as a street name and one of the players says, "Oh, you mean we're in an alternate universe where Benjamin Rocksford didn't exist, so the cross street has a different name?"

CaptainChaos
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby CaptainChaos » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:40 pm

If you live in/near a large city and are familiar with the details of it, I would suggest using a real city. Maps are easy to get and it saves time. In some games I've played in, they took place in real cities because the GM's knew a lot about a nearby city from living/working there. It lent a nice air of realism to the game when we had to stop some villains from destroying a well known building or robbing a particular store.

If you prefer to create your own setting, finding a pre-made one and making a few changes would help you save a lot of time in creating a whole, detailed city.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:47 pm

Either or.... Both work, I made my own. If you plan to make you own you don't really need to make more than you plan on using. All you really need is a basic concept for what kind of city its going to be, the relevant super hero history (has the city been the home of heroes or specific villains, are they still around, name of famous battles) & some place to write notes to yourself so you don't forget anything you create for specific adventures: If you build a monument, write it down so you recall what it is next time someone mentions it.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

biggmcg
Bystander
Bystander

Postby biggmcg » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:27 am

I've been using 1970's New York, and I've found it really easy to find maps and histories online to boost the background flavour. I've also managed to weave actual historical events into the story arc, which I find helps ground my heroes in the reality of living in a big city.

For the more technologically advanced ref, I downloaded a ton of pictures of 70's New York, and run a slideshow of them on a projector onto the wall behind me. It really puts across the contrast between the rich and poor inherent in the city at the time, and keeps their attention focussed.

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:43 am

I use real cities. Thanks to things like google maps you can now get very detailed maps of city areas. I often pick an area that I want the encounter to be in and the print it out. Since my games tend to cover city blocks having it gives a good reference for a large area. I can also print out copies for the players so they can have references as well. I can then print up a more detailed map for more intimate battles within the larger area.

mattador
Comrade
Comrade

Postby mattador » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:03 pm

When I first started running M&M in 1E I used a "real fake" city. I used Vice City from Grand Theft Auto, which worked well since all the players were somewhat familiar with it.

Valtus3200
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Valtus3200 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:38 am

For my current M&M 3E setting, I decided to use an alternate future NYC and tailored the history leading up to our time-period to the history of the Player Characters. This helps to root their interests in the city's history and up the stakes when its safety is thrown into peril. As for maps, since we're using a VTT and Skype to play, I made an over painting over a partial map of Manhattan.

For example, one of my players wanted to be a rich Teenager (we're doing an Ultimate Spiderman/Young Justice type campaign) so, I made it so that most of the technological advancements in the past 30 years were produced by his father's company. Also, made his father a Norman Osborn type character with serious narcissistic issues.

Do what feels natural to you and what will suit the campaign. I find that it helps to play towards the interests of your players, though, regardless of what you do.

The Hornet
Bystander
Bystander

Postby The Hornet » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:32 pm

My preference is for real cities, and ones I know at least somewhat. Fictional cities just take me that much further out of the game, especially the really contrived type that have access to extraordinary technology and streets named after comic book creators. Just feels so fake, it makes it that much harder to suspend disbelief. I also find real cities take less work as I can easily get maps or photos of landmarks and such things.

Return to “GMs' Eyes Only”