The Island of Dark Science

Here M&M GMs can trade tips and seek inspiration. Look out for SPOILERS! Players, surf elsewhere or ruin your own fun.
Cosbones
Bystander
Bystander

The Island of Dark Science

Postby Cosbones » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:09 am

I've kinda wanted to run something with Mutants and Masterminds for a while now, and after watching a whole lot of Venture Bros. I decided to make something a little oddball but still rooted in the Comics industry. Essentially, I've been cobbling together an idea for a reclusive island of Super Scientist Villains. The Players will be minions/experiments who attempt to earn freedom after breaking out from under one of them.

If you want to read about the back story more, here is that information.

What'd be really great is if other people could interject their own ideas and maybe offer some words of advice on creating a few of the Super villains and their Minions? We'll be playing at PL 8 and this will be my first actual campaign for MnM.

Thanks!

Holyhoopy
Bystander
Bystander

Re: The Island of Dark Science

Postby Holyhoopy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:39 am

This sounds awesome! Would it be like a one shot? Or a few sessions?

But you've got loads of scope for lesser characters that the players can choose from. Like the robot AI, or the experiment subject, or the spy who was sent to gain information and captured and is now making her escape.

It sounds really cool, I'll have a read through the fluff you linked when I get the chance.

Cosbones
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Cosbones » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:36 am

I'll be running it for a few weeks I think, mainly still coming up with the right balance between the absurd and the strange. But thanks for the kind words!

I think I've been a bit too over-reaching for a first timer though and it's been a bit of a struggle to get things set up. I was hoping to get some expertise from long time players/DMs.

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:54 pm

I suspect the real trick will be to control the powers/abilities in such a manner that island escape isn't too easy: you'll find that stopping super-beings moving about is rather tricky in the main part. Perhaps they need some resource/aspect of the island to maintain the powers (or even so far as their lives?) Or perhaps a social restraint (group loyalty) to keep the flyers/teleports from disappearing off over the horizon.

The base idea does sound fun: a "super" social rites uprising as it were.

Cosbones
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Cosbones » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:14 am

Doctor Devious wrote:I suspect the real trick will be to control the powers/abilities in such a manner that island escape isn't too easy: you'll find that stopping super-beings moving about is rather tricky in the main part. Perhaps they need some resource/aspect of the island to maintain the powers (or even so far as their lives?) Or perhaps a social restraint (group loyalty) to keep the flyers/teleports from disappearing off over the horizon.

The base idea does sound fun: a "super" social rites uprising as it were.

I figured I could put some sort of shield around the entire island, being pumped out of Starvault's facility, which guards against ports out but allows players to warp inside of it. It'd also encourage an actual assault on him and his entrenched position. (Although I will have a few other rare places set up for them to escape if thats just what they want.)

Return to “GMs' Eyes Only”