A Game Set On A University Campus

Here M&M GMs can trade tips and seek inspiration. Look out for SPOILERS! Players, surf elsewhere or ruin your own fun.
2fat2bebatman
Bystander
Bystander

A Game Set On A University Campus

Postby 2fat2bebatman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:38 am

I am currently running a game set at a huge University that I have inserted into DC Universe where students and faculty start manifesting super powers due to an event the characters are investigating. The campaign is supposed to be mostly light hearted, with some exceptions. The problem I am having is keeping the aspirations of my villains on a smaller scale than what I am used to running. Any suggestions, adventure hooks, or stories from campaigns in similar settings? Also, I know Hero High is being updated to 3rd Edition, but would it be worth it for me to get Hero High for second edition?

Orville
Bystander
Bystander

Re: A Game Set On A University Campus

Postby Orville » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:38 pm

I had the same idea. I want to run a game with the university in the city as one of the central locations in the campaign. The idea for me is that the characters have powers and have been hiding them due to fear of metas/mutants from the non super community.

I want to have the university link in to military industry, political actions against metas or formation of super teams, links to ARGUS or SHIELD like organisations to have the possibility to bring in aliens as threat.
My theme is x-men based but with more spiderman like story centered on the university.

So here is what I have as suggestions for bad guys.

A professor develops drugs based on plants that affect DNA. He/she can with that drug affect humans to manifest powers or to become "mind controlled". One of the students helping the professor is a friend of the characters and becomes a poison ivy like villian but some kind of flavour on her that I haven´t figured out yet.

Another experiment that affects one of the staff at the university is similar to gamma treatment from marvel. We get the genereic super smart bad guy, kind of like the leader.

Aliens infiltrate the university and observatories and parts of the military in contact with those places. Their goal is to use human tech, with alien mods against humanity. Perhaps focused on medical tech creating supervillians that turn easily mind controlled by the aliens.

The AEGIS/SHIELD/ARGUS organisation is infiltrated by SHADOW or similar nazi like organisation. Here it is possible to bring in connections between uni and politicians targeting metas for stricter control or flat out hate actions.

Sorry for my english, I am Swedish. I hope you understand most of this :D

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:02 am

2fat2bebatman wrote:I am currently running a game set at a huge University that I have inserted into DC Universe where students and faculty start manifesting super powers due to an event the characters are investigating. The campaign is supposed to be mostly light hearted, with some exceptions. The problem I am having is keeping the aspirations of my villains on a smaller scale than what I am used to running. Any suggestions, adventure hooks, or stories from campaigns in similar settings? Also, I know Hero High is being updated to 3rd Edition, but would it be worth it for me to get Hero High for second edition?

Then pick up the "The All New Atom", since that's practically it's entire spiel.... Freshmen too.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Beleriphon
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Beleriphon » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:44 am

2fat2bebatman wrote:I am currently running a game set at a huge University that I have inserted into DC Universe where students and faculty start manifesting super powers due to an event the characters are investigating. The campaign is supposed to be mostly light hearted, with some exceptions. The problem I am having is keeping the aspirations of my villains on a smaller scale than what I am used to running. Any suggestions, adventure hooks, or stories from campaigns in similar settings? Also, I know Hero High is being updated to 3rd Edition, but would it be worth it for me to get Hero High for second edition?

Break ins at the University science lab is a good place to start. Dealing with superpowered fratboys and associated parties. You can have a character trying to get their crush to fall in love with them via superscience/chemistry.

CAA
Bystander
Bystander

Postby CAA » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:03 am

currently we are making a field trip into a far away wood, because the school is in some sort of siege and the teachers decided that we aren't ready for that kind of stuff yet. We found a ghosthouse, which has a Groundhog Day ongoing, where the "bad guy" dies every evening and turns into a monster that kills everyone, because he traded his soul with a demon for immortallity...

Return to “GMs' Eyes Only”