Iron Age anyone??

Here M&M GMs can trade tips and seek inspiration. Look out for SPOILERS! Players, surf elsewhere or ruin your own fun.
Emerald Flame
Paragon
Paragon

Iron Age anyone??

Postby Emerald Flame » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:44 am

Do any of the Gm's on the board run a game set in the Iron Age?

I was looking at the new Emerald City campign material and also at different world settings and I started to wonder about running Iron Age.

This was based mostly on the Cyberforce comicbook that I collected "back in the day". It is classic Iron Age. Big guns.. Evil Corporations...etc etc.

I was thinking that it would interesting to run a campain with strong Iron-Age-Esque tones. Most of my comicbook reading was Iron Age as my first major collections were IMAGE Comics. I truely feel that they were the "Kings of the Iron Age".

SO? Any thoughts?
Emerald Flame's 3e Builds
Emerald Flame's 2e Misc. Builds

The ultimate measure of a person is not where they stand in moments of comfort, but where they stand at times of challenge and controversy. -Martin Luther King, Jr.-

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Iron Age anyone??

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:18 am

Looks like we have one recruiting and one running. I've been in the occasional Iron Age campaign. It can work as long as people remain heroic despite the grittier setting.

NightJim
Hireling
Hireling

Postby NightJim » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:02 am

The campaign I ran on and off for four years was a mix of Iron Age and more modern superheroics. IE the evil corporations and clandestine government agencies, but not so much the guns. Like I said, it ran for four years, and there's talk among our group that my players wouldn't mind going back to it.

The only advice I'd have is have a couple of conspiracies already worked out before you start playing, and slowly work them in. As they go about their super duties they get the hint something bigger is going on. And don't be afraid to start adding more layers as unexpected things come up. Iron Age wasn't scared to make these things ridiculously dense. After all, once the heroes had blown up the base, they'd usually find there was someone above who they thought were the big bads.

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:55 am

I am a fan of a lot of the Iron Age. Even when I don't run Superheroes in the Iron Age itself, little bits of that Age still seem to seep in, hehe
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:16 am

Emerald Flame wrote:Do any of the Gm's on the board run a game set in the Iron Age?

Nope.... In fact my personal setting has a gap between 1950 & 1990 where the heroes of one era had retired & were not replaced just so I could avoid the age entirely.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Return to “GMs' Eyes Only”