Preservers... Or Time Lords???

Here M&M GMs can trade tips and seek inspiration. Look out for SPOILERS! Players, surf elsewhere or ruin your own fun.
Emerald Flame
Paragon
Paragon

Preservers... Or Time Lords???

Postby Emerald Flame » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:09 pm

I should first start by saying that I am a big Doctor Who fan. I started with Tom Baker and have watched the show since.. admittedly dropping off with McCoy and then jumping in with both feet with Eccleston and have watched them all since. I just watched the Christmas episode and I am excited for the new Doctor.

NOW... I was playing around with character generation and I came upon an idea... What if you have a "Time Lord" that does not have a T.A.R.D.I.S. and so more-or-less relies on his tech knowledge. Many years ago I played the Doctor Who RPG and I played a Time Lord Soldier who was traveling around with a Doctor Who-esque character named "Justin Tyme". [Not my idea..] Anyway.. My character was a little more militant and was the foil to the more peaceful character.... But I digress..

The idea I had was to fuse my battlesuit character and a "Time Lord"... without the time-travel abilities. Then I started to think that instead of introducing the canon Time Lords of Galifrey... what about using an established race that could be just as interesting. One of the first that came to mind was the Preservers.

Alas.. there is little information about the Preservers other than to say that they were the cause for human evolution to some degree. <insert mad scientist laugh here> I started thinking about the Preservers and the Time Lords as possibly one and the same. On multiple occasions, the Time Lords have been described as being militant and aggressive. More than once it has been mentioned that if the Time Lords show up... Hell follows. SO... would it be a stretch to make the two.... one???

The basis for my character is that he is a [Insert Race] and than due to some event (Galactic War?) he finds himself on Earth. Being that he is nearly immortal compared to human standards... he first opts to hide and so remains in hiding for many years. He creates a company and slowly influences technology in the world. [Ever wonder where the microchip came from? :wink: ] When the Silver Storm erupts, he recognizes the tech and then decides that the time has come to show his face. He uses his tech skills and crafts a battlesuit.

That is the basis for my character in a nutshell...

NOW... does anybody have any thoughts on the matter? \
Should I leave it well enough alone?
Should I just use the Time Lords "AS IS"?
Are there any other races that you think could work for this concept?

Please let me know.
Emerald Flame's 3e Builds
Emerald Flame's 2e Misc. Builds

The ultimate measure of a person is not where they stand in moments of comfort, but where they stand at times of challenge and controversy. -Martin Luther King, Jr.-

SeasideGM
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Preservers... Or Time Lords???

Postby SeasideGM » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:53 am

I am a Whovian and I like the idea of a Time Lord as a superhero. I also think it opens up a whole realm of possibilities for cosmic adventuring. The issue of the race I think isn't as important; maybe the Preservers is just one name given to the Time Lords. Maybe it's two different factions - one wanting to police the galaxy, the other to conquer. I think as long as you establish the race(s) through storytelling it shouldn't be an issue

Emerald Flame
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Emerald Flame » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:23 am

SeasideGM, I appreciate the feedback. I have been toying with the Time Lord idea for a while. Ironically enough it was not until I saw a BBC special about Jon Pertwee's Doctor that it seemed to gel. During Pertwee's run... The Doctor was stranded on Earth and could not leave. This sparked my thinking. Eventually I think it could be fun to have a functional TARDIS for the group.. But until then... I will have to give it more thought

The ultimate measure of a person is not where they stand in moments of comfort, but where they stand at times of challenge and controversy. -Martin Luther King, Jr.-

SeasideGM
Bystander
Bystander

Postby SeasideGM » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:14 pm

I almost referenced Pertwee's Doctor as an example :)
Anything starting with Eccleston's run til now would also apply in the sense of the rest of the race isn't around to help him. Additionally, 9, 10, and 11 feel a mix of pity, guilt, and anger towards the Time Lords which could be easily held by any member of a "lost" alien race.

imagine if you will an alternate Who universe where the Doctor's exile on Earth was never ended. The Doctor misses all the events of the Last Great Time War, but rather than a stalemate in this universe its mutually assured destruction; Gallifrey and the Daleks wipe each other out. Perhaps a group of scattered Time Lords survive and band together to form a new regime. This time however it will not be one of peace, exploration, and guidance but conquest and war. After all, they ARE the most powerful race in the universe, and if they ran the show, it would be so much more peaceful than letting all the "lesser" races run around willy nilly.
Cut to the lonely Doctor, surviving on Earth without access to a TARDIS, using his intellect for good. When the Time Lords show back up he is overjoyed that his finally allowed to come home...until he sees what the new regime is all about.

Emerald Flame
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Emerald Flame » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:35 pm

SeasideGM wrote: imagine if you will an alternate Who universe where the Doctor's exile on Earth was never ended. The Doctor misses all the events of the Last Great Time War, but rather than a stalemate in this universe its mutually assured destruction; Gallifrey and the Daleks wipe each other out. Perhaps a group of scattered Time Lords survive and band together to form a new regime. This time however it will not be one of peace, exploration, and guidance but conquest and war. After all, they ARE the most powerful race in the universe, and if they ran the show, it would be so much more peaceful than letting all the "lesser" races run around willy nilly.
Cut to the lonely Doctor, surviving on Earth without access to a TARDIS, using his intellect for good. When the Time Lords show back up he is overjoyed that his finally allowed to come home...until he sees what the new regime is all about.

Wow... Consider that.. "borrowed". :wink:

I like the idea that he was stranded on the Earth before the Time War and this way would have never been involved.

A previous idea I had was he had fought in the beginning of the Time War and that his TARDIS had been damaged badly. He latched onto a time vortex and rode it to a small, insignificant planet called Earth. His TARDIS' time drive was badly damaged and once arriving on Earth, rendered completely useless. He simply could not get the parts need to repair it.

Using the TARDIS as a base of operations, he lived in solitude. The 'Heart' remained powered-up and allows the ship's chameleon circuit to remain operational.

I will have to play around with the idea....

SeasideGM
Bystander
Bystander

Postby SeasideGM » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:03 pm

Time is a big ol' ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey.....stuff

Make sure to post how it all turns out!

Return to “GMs' Eyes Only”