Told (my) dad i was doing a sci-fi setting...

Here M&M GMs can trade tips and seek inspiration. Look out for SPOILERS! Players, surf elsewhere or ruin your own fun.
Bwgustaf
Hireling
Hireling

Told (my) dad i was doing a sci-fi setting...

Postby Bwgustaf » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:21 pm

... and this is the character he made. I just want him to make a character that's "reasonably 4-colour" with either innate training or some technological aptitude. I can't get him to agree with me on the effects of his "powers" so he basically just takes whatever I'm OK with. He also never wants to discuss attacks or defenses (it basically keeps boiling down to "you figure it out".) So i need some help.

Unnamed Hero

Power Level: 8; Power Points Spent: 118/120; Tech Level: Near-Future

STR: +0 (10), DEX: +0 (10), CON: +0 (10), INT: +5 (20), WIS: +2 (14), CHA: +4 (19)

Tough: +0, Fort: +0, Ref: +0, Will: +2

Skills: Computers 12 (+17), Notice 12 (+14), Research 12 (+17), Search 9 (+14), Sense Motive 8 (+10)

Feats: Assessment, Equipment 1, Online Research, Reputation 8, Wealth 8, Well-Informed

Powers:
Hypnosis 8 (DC 18; Conscious; Mental Link, Subtle 2 (unnoticeable))
Mind Shield 8 (Impervious +8 to Will saves vs. Mental effects)
Piercing Eyes (Super-Senses 23) (accurate (type): Mental, acute: Mental, analytical (type): mental, aura reading, danger sense: mental, detect: Evil 2 (ranged), detect weakness, extended (type): Mental 2 (-1 per 1k ft), Feats: Assessment)
Super-Senses 8 (postcognition, precognition)
Teleport 4 (training, 400 ft. as move action, DC 14; Attack (+self) (Reflex); Short-Range; Change Direction, Change Velocity, Subtle (subtle))

Equipment: Laptop Computer

Attack Bonus: +0 (Ranged: +0, Melee: +0, Grapple: +0)

Attacks: Teleport 4, +0 (DC Harmless/Ref 14), Unarmed Attack, +0 (DC 15)

Defense: 10 (Flat-footed: 10), Knockback: +0

Initiative: +0

Languages: Native Language

Totals: Abilities 23 + Skills 14 (53 ranks) + Feats 3 + Powers 78 + Combat 0 + Saves 0 + Drawbacks 0 = 118

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Second Edition is ©2005-2012 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.

insaniac99
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: Told (my) dad i was doing a sci-fi setting...

Postby insaniac99 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:37 am

Okay, so is this a case of he cares less about the mechanics than he does about the character, or he just doesn't care too much either way and is playing to make you happy?

I ask because to me, that is just a sheet of numbers and isn't a character. I can't help without knowing what he wants. if he has a character in mind then we can easily build that character and he will be happy. If he doesn't care that much, then it is your job to find a character concept that he would enjoy playing and then build that character.

Either way the starting question is "What kind of character does he want?" That's Personality too, not just powers.

Bwgustaf
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Bwgustaf » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:08 pm

He says he want's a mental character that's "smart and intelligent". He doesn't care much about the personality. (Not being sarcastic or anything, he just wants the character to be smart, and he doesn't want a pre-made character). He want's a "good concept".

insaniac99
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby insaniac99 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:13 am

Okay, I apologize for my silence, and I'll apologize in advance since I know I will be busy for the next couple days. Here is a short step by step to help you. If you have questions post here and I or someone else will answer when they have time.

Step 1: brain storm. You have the bare minimum requirements (mental powers, smart, quick witted) now fill in details. For example Spiderman fits two of those three requirements, so does Reed Richards. In fact many heroes could be described as smart or quick witted but they all exhibit it in different ways. So brain storm and flesh that out a little more. Use the quick start character generator as an idea of common features. Come up with some that he has a "That's cool" reaction. You know him better than us so trust your judgment and if you get excited by a character then it is possible your excitement will rub off.

From here powers and everything is easy because you just pick the type of mental you want and grab powers that fit.

Because of the way Mutants and Masterminds allows you to power stunt and get away from the character sheet, the character itself is way more important and needs to be the starting point.

Return to “GMs' Eyes Only”