Name for an alternate reality Superman?

Here M&M GMs can trade tips and seek inspiration. Look out for SPOILERS! Players, surf elsewhere or ruin your own fun.
Cinder
Hero
Hero

Name for an alternate reality Superman?

Postby Cinder » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:23 pm

I am working on a long term setting project. I need a name for a version of Superman from an alternate dimension.

Kind of hard to explain without going into too much detail.

Short version:

I have merged the reality that Alexander Luthor Jr. is from and the one that the Crime Syndicate of Amerika is from.

The Clark Kent, Utlraman, of that dimension is not a kryptonian. He has been rebuilt by aliens, as H&V outlines.

I had the idea to say that Hank Henshaw is created when his space ship crashes, as normal, but instead of radiation keeping his mind alive, his abilities come from aliens from the traditional universe.

So basically in the traditional universe, the human Hank Henshaw is Cyborg Superman and Kal El is Superman. Inversely, in the Alternate Universe a human named Clark Kent becomes Ultraman (powers granted by the Alternate version of the same aliens) and a kryptonian named Kal-L is raised by the Henshaws to become the alternate Universe's "Superman."

Power Girl is also from the CSA Alternate universe (which I call the Antiverse) in this version (Kara Zor-L). For those who do not know the Luthor, Sr., and Lois are nearly the only heroes in the Antiverse and their story is told in Crisis for Infinite Earth. (which happens - slightly modified - in the setting).

The timeline from the Alternate Universe goes like this:

Kara Zor-L is born on Krypton to Alura and Zor-L.

Alexander “Lex” Luthor is born in the Antiverse.

Kal L is born and is transported to Earth by his parents, Lora and Jor-L. Krypton is destroyed. He is found by John and Mary Henshaw. The Henshaws raise the boy naming him Henry “Hank” Henshaw.

The birthplace of Kara Zor-L, Argo City, Krypton, survives the planet’s destruction thanks to a powerful force field. However, Brainiac attacks the city, and Kara’s parents transport her to Earth and safety, telling her to look after her young cousin, Kal-L.

Kara’s journey to Earth is delayed and she does not reach her destination for many years.

Clark Kent is born in Smallville, Kansas.

Lois Lane is born in the Antiverse.

At only 18, after a daring, and possibly illegal, attempt to get an interview with famous inventor Lex Luthor, Lois Lane becomes the Daily Planet’s youngest female reporter ever. Hank Henshaw develops a crush on Lois Lane after reading her first article. He becomes an obsessive reader of her work and follows her career thoroughly.

The Henshaws convince their son Hank to remain separate from the emerging world of metahumans, costumed heroes and villains that are beginning to emerge. Hank feels that he should use his powers for good, but he acquiesces, as he is a dutiful son.

An unknown Amazonian appears in Lois Lane’s apartment. The Amazonian covets the woman’s life. She attacks Lois believing that she has killed her. She uses a spell to permanently alter her appearance to that of Lois Lane. The imposter takes over Lois’ life. She dumps Lois’ body into Metropolis Bay. Lois awakes when she splashes into the water and screams for help, before her injuries cause her to black out and go under. Hank Henshaw hears her screams and saves her. He takes her to the only person he knows that is smart enough to save her: the inventor Lex Luthor. Hank leaves Lois in Lex’s care and he heals her significant injuries. He is slightly ashamed of the fact that he has broken his promise to his parents and swears Lex to silence about his actions.

When Lois Lane fully recovers, she realizes that her former life has been stolen from her and decides that she must allow the Amazonian to believe that she is dead.

Lois Lane begins to develop feelings for Lex Luthor, but she always wonders who the other man who saved her was. She begins to refer to him as “Other-Man” in her journals.

Astronaut Clark Kent seemingly loses his life when his spacecraft is destroyed. Somehow his body is reconstructed by an alien race. He gains powers which are the equivalent of the Legaciverse’s Superman, however they are fueled by the antimatter energy within Antiverse Kryptonite. He quickly is able to use his sheer power to become the top super-villain on Antiverse Earth.

Hank Henshaw forms the Crime Syndicate of America and becomes the de facto ruler of the world.

Lex Luthor first travels to the Legaciverse to enlist help of the Justice League against the Crime Syndicate of America. Although the CSA is temporarily defeated, after the JLA returns, they regain power and Lex decides the best way to combat them is from the shadows.

Kara Zor-L, whose aging was suspended during her trip to earth, arrives splashing down into Antiverse Metropolis City Bay. She is recovered by Lex Luthor and Lois Lane. The two train her to be a hero, despite her surroundings.

Alexander Luthor, Jr., is born.

The Anti-Monitor attacks the Antiverse Earth, killing nearly all of its inhabitants. Kara Zor-L and Alexander Luthor, Jr. survive when Luthor, Sr., manages to transport them to the Legaciverse where she can care for the baby and warn its inhabitants of the danger of the Anti-Monitor. The two, however, are separated and Kara is struck with amnesia forgetting her mission and her powers. She is lost for a time, unable to warn the Legaciverse or protect Alexander.

The Anti-Monitor’s defeat releases an Anti-Matter wave that resurrects those killed in the destruction of the Antiverse.

Alexander Luthor, Jr. returns to the Antiverse, despite his parents urging that he stay in the Legaciverse. Kara Zor-L decides to take the advice of the Luthors and stay in the Legaciverse.

I have been using Otherman, but I am not sure I like it. Do people think that is cool or should I call him something else?

I appreciate any input.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Name for an alternate reality Superman?

Postby Bladewind » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:50 pm

Neat idea. But isn't that a typo in 77? I thought you said that Henshaw was the Superman analogue?

As for Superman names:

Overman
Paragon
Lord Marshall
(an actual title, it is a hereditary royal officeholder and chivalric title under the sovereign of the United Kingdom used in England, as per wikipedia)
Superman ;)
Champion
Exemplar
Paladin

I think your name of Otherman has potential, as it doesn't evoke overly heroic imagery which to me is in keeping with the setting.

Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby Cinder » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:57 pm

Yep typo.

You were around when this project started. I had always wanted to try a DC setting were the heroes age and when we made characters for Bombatuu's game I decided it was time.

I may keep it as Otherman, but I am open.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:21 pm

Now that you mention it, I recall. It's a pretty cool idea.

mattador
Comrade
Comrade

Postby mattador » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:31 am

Hyperman? (cross between Superman and Hyperion)
Invader? (from space... a space invader)

Atmo
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Atmo » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:25 pm

Megaman.
Ultraman.
Blue&Redman.
FlyingMan.

Return to “GMs' Eyes Only”