"The Watcher" as a plot device

Here M&M GMs can trade tips and seek inspiration. Look out for SPOILERS! Players, surf elsewhere or ruin your own fun.
Pardum
Bystander
Bystander

"The Watcher" as a plot device

Postby Pardum » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:21 pm

What do you think of having a character called "The Watcher" to help move the plot along.
He would be a shadowy character that the heroes encounter every so often that would give them information about the series. For example I am thinking about useing him to get the heroes together as a team by telling them that something is going on in the city that is more than they can handle single handedly.

I have not stated him up yet but I am going to give him high awareness and presence scores. He would also have both pre and post cognition and a about 8 to 10 ranks in impervious toughness so the heros can't just wipe him out the first time they meet him. He will be a good 3 to 4 PL above the heroes.The back ground for The Watcher is that he was one of the scientists present at the experiment where the particle that gives everyone their powers was first released.

My question is wether you think that this is a useable plot device, and wether you think he is to weak or to powerful?

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Re: "The Watcher" as a plot device

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:49 pm

Wait, is he a good guy? Is he supposed to help the Heroes? If so, why does he need to have defenses against them?
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Pardum
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pardum » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:47 pm

He is supposed to help them and give then tips, but I am planning on giving him some defences against them so they don't decide to just attack and knock hem out or kill him. He is also supposed to be one of the first people to get powers, so it would make sense for him to be stronger and have some sort of defenses.

thaumonuclear
Comrade
Comrade

Postby thaumonuclear » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:14 pm

Pardum wrote:He is supposed to help them and give then tips, but I am planning on giving him some defences against them so they don't decide to just attack and knock hem out or kill him. He is also supposed to be one of the first people to get powers, so it would make sense for him to be stronger and have some sort of defenses.

I wouldn't bother statting him up. If they atttack him, he survives and disappears (teleports, goes invisible, whatever). Now the PCs have lost their informant. Maybe they've made an enemy and you need to stat him up for when he reappears in a later adventure and to hurt them rather than help.

Or have him clearly appear as some sort of projection, so your players know they can't hurt him to start with.

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:04 pm

If they attack him for no reason, they aren't Heroes.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Return to “GMs' Eyes Only”