Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Groundhog Day

Here M&M GMs can trade tips and seek inspiration. Look out for SPOILERS! Players, surf elsewhere or ruin your own fun.

Groundhog Day

Postby McGuffin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:38 am

I'm playing in a Round Robin GM Group and have been toying with the idea of a Time Loop adventure. I was wondering if anyone else had experiences on the Day That Never Ends (on either side of the GM's screen). Good idea? Bad idea? Common pitfalls? Advice? Suggestions?

The idea I had for what's behind the loop was that a time travelling hero's (probably played as a speedster variant as far as crunch is concerned) love interest gets kidnapped by their archenemy and as the day goes on they race to find their loved one, only to have them die at the final confrontation with the villain. Cue Heroic BSOD and a 'Nooooooo!!!' that rewinds time back to the morning.
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?
McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Groundhog Day

Postby kingk » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:22 pm

Never done it, but what I might suggest would be, like the actual movie, let the PCs skip certain events after a while. Don't make them refight the same group of thugs every morning unless they want to.
kingk
Cohort
Cohort

Postby McGuffin » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:55 am

Yes, that's definetly something I want to avoid. Maybe have them come across something they can use to tip of the police so they can catch the badguys before they get up to anything. But yeah, running through the same events over and over again is not a reason to run a groundhog day adventure.
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?
McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Postby JThunder » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:45 am

I once ran a D&D game where the heroes got stuck in a mystery involving the death of the Queen and the day kept repeating until the mystery of who killed her was solved. Each time the day started over, I made everyone pass their character sheet to the person to their right. i can't remember all the details now, but it was the court wizard and he was trying to alter reality to hide the evidence that the players were uncovering.
JThunder
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Return to GMs' Eyes Only