Thinking of running an online game ... maybe ...

Here's the place to seeks players for your group or a group for yourself.
zippercomics
Bystander
Bystander

Thinking of running an online game ... maybe ...

Postby zippercomics » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:00 pm

Hi all,

So, about two months ago, I appeared here, and suggested I'd like to try running an online game. I got some interest, put a group together, but then seriously let them all down. Why? Well, I run an online DnD game, and about the same time, I needed to drum up some more players for that due to real-life issues. In looking for players for that group, I neglected to organize the M&M group, and accordingly (deservedly), I lost my players.

Still, I do have the itch for some superhero roleplaying, and so I'm thinking I might run an online game.

Here's what I'm thinking:

- run the majority of the non-combat / personal / story based work through email. I think this is a good forum, albeit slow, but it has a huge advantage. Online email-based gaming gives good writers a chance to really grow a character and his / her personality, and it eschews the traditions of turning everything into a dice roll.

- When necessary, run the combat over scheduled maptools games. Simple stuff, but MapTools takes the best of online roleplaying for combat and does it well (I think). Combat is much faster (whereas in email, combat drags), but I find that roleplaying can fall a bit by the wayside in Maptools. Using both in concert should give me the best of both worlds.

- As a GM, I have a lot of experience, but none in Mutants and Masterminds; this would be the first game with this system I've ever run (I have 2nd edition). I have limited time (hence running non-combat through email, which I don't have to do at a set time on a given day), but lots of interest and lots of back story for my world.

Any thoughts? Would anyone be interested in this? Here's what I'm looking for in players, if I decide to do this. Please read this, and if you fit this profile, say so.

- Story first. I want characters with depth, who - when I ask for a description - are more than a power set. I should know who your character is, and be inspired with stories before I ever see a character sheet or anything else about them.

- Creativity is king. I'm looking for people who can build characters with depth.

- Knowledge of the rules, and understanding that there's a learning curve for me. Or, to put it another way, "keep it simple".

Anyway, if anyone's interested, please indicate as such on this post. I think if I drum up enough interest, I may proceed with this. Note that I'm expecting the commitment to be somewhere in the "MapTools will be needed once a month" range, but that's a bit of a guess. Everything's not about combat. Still, I'm looking to create a game that I can run with my busy schedule, and that means being reasonable on the time I spend on it.

Cheers,

Zippercomics

zippercomics
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Thinking of running an online game ... maybe ...

Postby zippercomics » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:02 pm

Anyone?

Actually, I see that some people have looked at this thread, and have passed. If there's a reason, I'd seriously like to hear it. That'll help me determine if there's a way I should be shifting or changing the ad to cater to the community at large (which I don't see any problem with doing).

Cheers,

Zippercomics

poodle
Luminary
Luminary

Postby poodle » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:32 pm

By e-mail do youmean play by post? If so then that is what a lot of people are used to. If you mean by e-mail then that can get tedious. As for combat using maptools, can't comment. I think the problem is that for combat you would need everyone participating at the same time. We PbP because we can't coordinate with other people. At least that is my reasoning. Sounds fun, also Mand M is not a game that copes as well with positional play as it is 3D and can cover enormous areas. Good luck though, let me know how it goes and would you be running it in 2E or 3e
cry havoc and let slip the poodles of war
Uncle friendly
My builds
Zephyr
Fixxer

GreatArelius1
Henchman
Henchman

Postby GreatArelius1 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:28 pm

This is good but you need a day planned for the maptool sessions. Cause if I joined and then you say "Alright, out maptool session on Saturday night 7pm eastern." I wouldn't be able to make it :( Just saying

zippercomics
Bystander
Bystander

Postby zippercomics » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:10 am

poodle wrote:By e-mail do youmean play by post? If so then that is what a lot of people are used to. If you mean by e-mail then that can get tedious. As for combat using maptools, can't comment. I think the problem is that for combat you would need everyone participating at the same time. We PbP because we can't coordinate with other people. At least that is my reasoning. Sounds fun, also Mand M is not a game that copes as well with positional play as it is 3D and can cover enormous areas. Good luck though, let me know how it goes and would you be running it in 2E or 3e

Thanks for the reply, Poodle.

I could be a little biased on this, but you bring up a good point. I think in function, play by email and play by post / message board work very similarly. I just had more experience with play by email, which is why I mentioned it. I think I could very easily make that a play by post system.

You're absolutely right about why people PbP. That's actually part of the reason I'm talking about running this game primarily in that method, and then switching to a faster mode like MapTools when combat arises. I suggest that because combat is always where PbP / PbeM become truly tedious. I am hoping that by using a more chat-based client like MapTools, we'd be able to make the combat move faster, and then get back to the story in a board scenario where there's a little more dramatic license with the speed.

But you bring up very good points. Especially about the 3Dimensionality of the board. Good point.

As to your last question, I think 2e. There too, if it takes me a bit to set this up, I could be talked into 3e.

zippercomics
Bystander
Bystander

Postby zippercomics » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:13 am

GreatArelius1 wrote:This is good but you need a day planned for the maptool sessions. Cause if I joined and then you say "Alright, out maptool session on Saturday night 7pm eastern." I wouldn't be able to make it :( Just saying

Thank you for the reply, GreatArelius1,

Damn, that's a good point. If I indicated when, I'd be more likely to draw in players who say "yeah, I'm free then", I could do that.

So simple. Don't know how I missed that.

Okay, I have to think about that. Right now, I run a DnD game on alternating Monday nights, 7 pm to 10 pm ET. So tentatively, I'd say that the combats will be scheduled for those nights (obviously, when my DnD game isn't running). I'd be flexible in this though. Monday, for example, has a bad habit of being a long weekend day. ;)

Monday night, 7 pm, ET.

Again, thanks for the point. I don't know how I missed that.

poodle
Luminary
Luminary

Postby poodle » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:33 pm

time zones are gonna be an issue. I live in NZ..
cry havoc and let slip the poodles of war
Uncle friendly
My builds
Zephyr
Fixxer

Return to “Player Locator”