M&M Conversion for Rifts

Have an M&M fan Web site? Find a great place to get superhero miniatures? Have miniature conversion tips or any other resources like that? Put 'em in here.
chump
Bystander
Bystander

M&M Conversion for Rifts

Postby chump » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:41 pm

A good while back I made a conversion for Palladiums Rifts world, using the Mutants and Masterminds system. The campaign ran it's course, but I kept it because people contact me about wanting a copy. A bunch of people on here have it, but there were too many to keep them all as contacts so I'm hoping many will see this.

I'm back on the wagon with the conversion, I'm playing with it again and I'm feeling creative. The one is circulation is the original, I made one after that (expanded spells and psionics, equipments and OCC\RCC) but it was lost when my computer died, although I still have a hard copy I printed.

I want to do a sort of 3rd edition of it, expanding the spells, psionics and OCC\RCC, plus some better coverage of the rules, like speed conversions for combat, some of the autofire stuff, the starting PL vs RCC\OCC bonus and changing some of the OCC's (Mega Juicers and Dragons were way out of balance). I get requests for certain ones but I don't have time so I'd like to hear about which ones people want the most. I am currently getting my "second edition" onto digital form by retyping from the hard copy, and then after that it's getting an update again which I'm hoping to get help with. I have had some feedback but I want to know how it worked for everyone else, or what a new pair of eyes might have to say.

Basically I'm going to divide it into 3 files. Rules Conversion, Gear Conversion and...uh...RCC\OCC conversion. Right now, I'm just about done the rules conversion so if anyone has any feedback for that side of it that would be great.

If anyone wants a copy let me know.

chump
Bystander
Bystander

Re: M&M Conversion for Rifts

Postby chump » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:25 pm

Also, this is a 2nd edition conversion. Kinda important, oops.
Is there a way to flag this as a 2nd edition thread?

Unbeliever
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Unbeliever » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:29 pm

I've got a rough one that I've been working on off and on. One thing I had to work up were better vehicle and mecha rules, as 3E's are both sparse and not super well thought out.

If there's one thing I'd really dread doing it's creating all the various pieces of mecha and power armor. So, I'd love someone else to do that.

chump
Bystander
Bystander

Postby chump » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:01 pm

I feel your pain. Instead of going through each one and converting it, I made a conversion chart for MDC, so that all you need to do is look at the Rifts book and convert over to a Damage Bonus or Toughness bonus. Works pretty well.

I am not familiar with 3rd edition. This is all 2nd edition stuff.

How long have you been playing with your conversion rules?

Unbeliever
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Unbeliever » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:08 am

Never played with them, actually. In part b/c I'm the only one with heavy nostalgia for Rifts in my current gaming group. I should also mention that my goal was not to really do a 1 to 1 conversion of Rifts, but to capture the flavor, feeling, and essence of Rifts. A distillation, if you will. Which would, I hope, get rid of some of the more annoying bits of Rifts. Their rules bug the hell out of me.

A lot of it was pretty straightforward stuff. I made mega-damage, especially the more fully environmental kind, impervious and MD weapons penetrating. I tried to avoid autofire except in exceptional cases b/c I find it sort of a headache at the gaming table.

The biggest moves I made were in terms of equipment, devices, and treasure. Those struck me as the biggest distinctions between a game like Rifts and one like M&M. I'll try and get around to posting my thoughts on it, if you like.

chump
Bystander
Bystander

Postby chump » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:29 pm

Ya, that would be cool. Always curious about that.

Beleriphon
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Beleriphon » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:07 pm

Unbeliever wrote:Their rules bug the hell out of me.

Rifts was awesome. In high school. The last time I played was on my birthday, 13 years ago. I agree completely after having acquired a copy of the core rulebook. I'd never noticed the book has no chapters, and the character generation rules are at the back of the book, while the classes and races are at the front and everything else is just kind of mashed up in between.

They are honestly amongst the worst rules for an RPG I have ever seen. You should not be able to play a half naked hobo that can read minds along with a dude ganked on combat drugs that can also take tank shells to the chest. I do agree the concepts and ideas are really pretty awesome though.

chainsaw surgery
Bystander
Bystander

Postby chainsaw surgery » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:54 am

I would most definitely like a copy. Sent a PM with email.

Thanks

X'Zanthar
Bystander
Bystander

Postby X'Zanthar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:37 am

I would love a copy of your conversion for Rifts.

chump
Bystander
Bystander

Postby chump » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:06 am

To everyone who has PM'd me, I am working on it and should be done in a week or two, I will post again then and I will send out copies to whoever wants one.

chump
Bystander
Bystander

Postby chump » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:48 pm

Ok, whoever wants one send me an email at thechump1000@hotmail.com
So far it's just the rules conversion with a few OCC\RCCs that my player are using, plus some equipment. If ther is enough feedback, I'll work on more conversions.

Nephelim
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Nephelim » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:20 pm

I am curious, did you do anything to deal with economy and ammunition? I love M&M as a system, but it has no real mechanic for ablative defenses, scarcity of supplies, et cetera.

f course, if you are running Rifts: the comic book, then so be it.
# define QUESTION ((bb) || !(bb))

chump
Bystander
Bystander

Postby chump » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:12 pm

the Economy? You mean the completely senseless way everything is priced in Rifts? lol
I did not. It would be too massive and undertaking and I just don't have that kind of time on my hands.
For the "ablative" dynamic in Rifts I just used the Vitality\Wounds rules (modified to represent the difference between people, vehicles, armor, force fields and mdc creatures).
The main thrust of my conversion is combat, wherever possible I stuck to the Rifts material. The ranges for guns, payload etc is all the same, I just made a conversion chart for the damage (1d6*10 is a +10 damage bonus for example). Same for armor\mdc, I just made a conversion chart so that X mdc is equal to X toughness save bonus.

Return to “Fan Resources”