.por files for H&V I?

Have an M&M fan Web site? Find a great place to get superhero miniatures? Have miniature conversion tips or any other resources like that? Put 'em in here.
SeeleyOne
Henchman
Henchman

Re: .por files for H&V I?

Postby SeeleyOne » Mon May 21, 2012 8:39 pm

I have to admit that I tend to like the Marvel characters a bit better. I have always been a Wolverine fan. :D And I just cannot get over the thought that Superman is a munchkin "do anything" character.
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.

Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Thu May 31, 2012 2:22 pm

Dragonblade wrote:Great work! I added it to my HeroLab install and it worked great.

Now I just need Marvel stock builds from you, or Gazman, or Legend and I'll be set. :)

Don't look at me. :) I actually rarely do any character conversions; this was all official builds into HeroLab. If I got the bug I suppose I could borrow my roommate's FASERIP stuff and do a load of conversions, but I'm pretty sure there's at least one poster on Roll Call who's already done it.

The other possibility would be using the official builds in the new Marvel Heroic Game, but their system is less granular and even more abstracted than DCA. That's not necessarily a bad thing overall, but it does mean it would be easier to translate from DCA into MH than the other way around.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

chatty
Zealot
Zealot

Postby chatty » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:24 am

Wow. My thread asploded while I was on hiatus (trying out the Marvel RPG).

I guess I will go back and see what I missed!
"Persistence is often met with vengeance!"

Truxton Spangler (Rubicon Season 1, Episode 9)

chatty
Zealot
Zealot

Postby chatty » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:27 am

Two things:

HOLY CATS! THANKS! Can I, like, pay you?

and

Fuzzyboots has an export tool? I guess I need to find that!
"Persistence is often met with vengeance!"

Truxton Spangler (Rubicon Season 1, Episode 9)

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:00 am

chatty wrote:Fuzzyboots has an export tool? I guess I need to find that!

It's just a cobbled-together thing in C# to read the Custom XML export and create a CSV file. I can send you the source code or the executable. Or if you're not a programmer, I can make the changes for a custom version of what you want exported.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:14 am

chatty wrote:HOLY CATS! THANKS! Can I, like, pay you?

In a perfect world, I'd be doing this in Seattle for Green Ronin, proofreading hundreds of statblocks before they go to press, compiling the portfolios to go out with the PDFs and getting paid for that. If that's within your power, I encourage you to begin. :)

For useful things that don't involve money, you could always sign up for Dropbox as a referral from me as I get 500mb more space per referral.

That and the shining adoration of the gaming community is all I ask.

EDIT - and getting my student loan paid off. I have Paypal! :D
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My Rules Musings in 3e

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:27 pm

Very, very, very cool! Thank you!!!
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:30 pm

If you enter them yourself, just like when we make our own Army Builder files, its not a copyright violations. Don't add any artwork. It is merely game stats, not stories, not art, not a concept, merely numbers that represent a game character and these comic book companies own the stories for example, and character likeness but having a 13 written for Strength for a given character is not a likeness. It is a 13 written near the word Strength.

They might not like it, but that is how it is.

Now, does that mean they might include DCA material or DC characters via .por files with official updates. No, but we are free to share. Also at least with Army builder someone actually enters and creates the files and post them for everyone to get the datafiles for a game system. I don't see why they can't have a section in the wolf's lair where we can add our own .por files. I know there is DCA yahoo group and perhaps other places and we could post the .por files in a folder.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:32 am

Cheeseweasel has a site. There's been nothing for Mutants and Masterminds on it yet, since so far almost everything's been included in the official files, but he'd probably be willing to host it.

Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby Cinder » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:59 pm

I noticed that the Questions have Huntress' Complications.

I am NOT looking this fine thoroughbred of a gift horse in the mouth, just FYI.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:41 pm

Guilty! I did fill in Complications on a few characters, and I definitely copied similar characters to use as templates in order to save keystrokes, so that's probably going to happen a bit. I was thinking of going back and cleaning them out, but put it off, figuring it would be easier for attentive users to pick them out of the couple dozen characters they would use then looking at 600+ profiles myself. In any case, I figure at least 90% of the work is done, so as a resource I think it is roughly as good as the GM Kit Quick Character Generator, which I consider an excellent if not perfect product, and both are huge timesavers.

I'm currently looking at giving the same treatment to legend's various threads, including Every Marvel FASERIP Character, which I figure will require about twice the investment. I'm wondering how feasible it would be to make it into some kind of Kickstarter so that I (and legend) might receive a little compensation.

My Rules Musings in 3e

Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby Cinder » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:15 pm

Please, sir. You are awesome. I was just pointing it . . . because . . . I don't know why. Maybe I am just an ungrateful cur.

Onefromb5
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Onefromb5 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:21 pm

First I want to thank you for taking the time to enter all the information dor all the characters in both H&V books.

I'm not understanding how or where to save the file.
When I click on the link it opens but what do I do with it then? I am able to right click the link but I get the "SAVE AS" option.
I Fight for the Users

Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby Cinder » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:38 pm

Right click on it. Save it according to these instructions:

FuzzyBoots wrote:To make it show up in the stock portfolio list, just drop it in the ProgramData folder (by default C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\data\mutants3).

As regards opening it up, HeroLab should be set to open .stock portfolios by itself. If not, try opening HeroLab and then selecting the .stock file (Use File/Open Portfolio and navigate to the correct directory. It automatically detects the .stock files).

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:16 am

SeeleyOne wrote:I have to admit that I tend to like the Marvel characters a bit better. I have always been a Wolverine fan. :D And I just cannot get over the thought that Superman is a munchkin "do anything" character.

/Martian Manhunter bad design rant on

Superman is not, if you want that, see Martian Manhunter, or perhaps Green Lantern.

Technically Manhunter is not built right. He is a TK/Telepath and in the book they handwave that into just being strength, same with Miss Martian who (at least in Young Justice) is a true TK user and the 'strength' she has is simply a function of that.

If that is the actual DC concept for the character, the way it is built in the HnV guide then I respond with: "that is why I don't like certain DC characters as they are straight up stupid. If I were an editor at DC I'd retcon the character completely and make it the way it should have been designed in the first place, ie the original idea is stupid and has no place in the lexicon of characters'. Martian Manhunter as a TK/telepath is fine. He should not have nor be 'superman' like in ability, but rather, much like Superboy, it is a mental TK 'kineticesis' or something like that, yet in this case a true telekinesis and telepathy. In other words, he is Jean Grey on steroids.

But really the way I'd portray the manhunter is much like a character I saw on Freedom Force video game, he is called The Stranger with powers of the mind and one of those being Telekinesis. A TK can have a force field too.

In the end, I'd scrap the entire Manhunter write up, call it an aberrant afterthought (even if its 'official, i'm saying that the official version is retarded) and take the TK/telepath archetype and add the 'martian manhunter' to it ie jack up some ranks in the core power, add the morph and add some mental stunts like the invisibility which is a function of the mental powers. Yet, the morph part is part of the martian physiology, as if all martians are like Mystique.

Then the manhunter part of the martian would be purged for the stupid name that it is. He is NOT a manhunter. Maybe if the character were originally envisioned as a villain, that first faced Superman as an alien who UNLIKE the kryptonian was hostile to the Earth much like Namor was to the surface dwellers and thus like Namor he has similiarites in personality perhaps, but unlike him he is the last of his kind (though that idea alone has been completely warped and made obsolete as in fact their are quite a few other martians).

So he is a martian, but not a manhunter and thus the original editor of the writer who created the character should have rightly told the writer 'that is a stupid name, no you need to think of something better'. That is why I like The Stranger, though other names would fit too, just not the actual name. The name doesn't have to include the term 'martian'.

The name, the resulting 'superman' like build of the character is wrong on many levels, and he is better done as a true mental character, not a character who has superman-like strength, eye-beams, etc. Its like the originality bus left the building. The attempt to make yet another alien who has powers/abilities 'like' superman so that he is a homage character who actually made it into real comics and part of the icon that is DC character library, much like Captain Marvel (who is a better and very well done character).

In the end, stupid character or not, he has made a few paychecks for DC and the creators, but still, there are reasons why I never read DC comics other than now and then, as I would never waste my time or money reading a Martian Manhunter comic. I'm sure there are some super-fans out there. Great, pick up a T-shirt that says 'Go Green' and then when your read Hulk comics it can pull double duty.

For the record, I do like how Miss Martian is done on young Justice, I suppose it is how Martian Manhunter SHOULD have been done in the first place. So kudos to the creator of that character.

Also the Neanderthal like face of the Martian Manhunter is dumb. The way the white Martian 'original' look of Miss Martian is, that's much more appropriate and less stupid. Green Martians should look similar. Now if you are going to turn yourself into a 'green human' like Martain Manhunter does, why choose to have a face like that. Its like seeing a Geiko commercial with the Neanderthal and thinking 'wow that must be what humans look like'. After spending time, any real time, with humans you'd realize that is NOT a human, and if the character was written half-way decent he'd have seen Earth TV first. Perhaps at first he'd look like that, and mid-way in the first comic he'd realize his mistake and change to a more appropriate human look. But that green skin, human like, and Neanderthal look if its his original form, well that is just sad for the Martians.

/Martian Manhunter bad design rant off

Return to “Fan Resources”