.por files for H&V I?

Have an M&M fan Web site? Find a great place to get superhero miniatures? Have miniature conversion tips or any other resources like that? Put 'em in here.
chatty
Zealot
Zealot

.por files for H&V I?

Postby chatty » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:52 pm

Has anyone made Herolab files for H&V Volume 1?

I am quite lazy.
"Persistence is often met with vengeance!"

Truxton Spangler (Rubicon Season 1, Episode 9)

Drakos
Hireling
Hireling

Re: .por files for H&V I?

Postby Drakos » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:43 pm

Even if they had, it would be a copyright infringement to share them.
Be a Hero

chatty
Zealot
Zealot

Postby chatty » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:53 am

This is a fair point. They should create them as a revenue generating opportunity.
"Persistence is often met with vengeance!"

Truxton Spangler (Rubicon Season 1, Episode 9)

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:36 am

Technically speaking, someone could enter that data in without including the infringing name and artwork. Stats are not copyrightable because they're information, just like phonebooks and databases. The name of the superheroes are. That said, a company stands to lose a lot more should the comics company decide to get shirty, so it would have to be a third-party effort.

Roman Virtue
Hero
Hero

Postby Roman Virtue » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:18 pm

I'm up to "C" in my efforts to enter H&V1 into HL, but am running into multiple problems with the math not adding up, so I'm just making sure the ranks are the same, and chalking the math errors up to them not having HL when they wrote H&V1. That said, it's a LOT of work and someone would have to be crazy to do it!
Take Care,
-Crazy
Legends Never Die!!!
Roman Virtues Facebook

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:05 am

Actually, I think JDRook is doing it or has done it. He was asking for a way to take the data and export charts of skills and ability scores so that he could sort them.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Wed May 16, 2012 8:40 am

Roman Virtue wrote:I'm up to "C" in my efforts to enter H&V1 into HL, but am running into multiple problems with the math not adding up, so I'm just making sure the ranks are the same, and chalking the math errors up to them not having HL when they wrote H&V1. That said, it's a LOT of work and someone would have to be crazy to do it!
FuzzyBoots wrote:Actually, I think JDRook is doing it or has done it. He was asking for a way to take the data and export charts of skills and ability scores so that he could sort them.

Yes on all counts: I've done them all, it was a lot of work, and I'm crazy.

I've been using FuzzyBoots export tool to sort all the DC characters by PL, point cost, point cost per PL and other variants. Pretty handy stuff. Going to try applying it to the Threat Reoprt soon.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Roman Virtue
Hero
Hero

Postby Roman Virtue » Wed May 16, 2012 11:34 am

You wouldn't be willing to share would you? :wink:
Legends Never Die!!!
Roman Virtues Facebook

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Wed May 16, 2012 1:36 pm

I'd want to clean it up a bit first. I've got the whole thing in one monstrous .por file (~36MB) with a few additional customized versions of certain characters I wanted to fix for my own purposes. Also, if what FuzzyBoots says is true, I should strip out the names and artwork before distributing it, leaving 600+ Unnamed Heroes for people to identify by powersets, skills and complications. Oh, I haven't put complications on all of them either.

Still want it? Even with all that, it could save you dozens of hours of data entry.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My Rules Musings in 3e

insaniac99
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby insaniac99 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:54 pm

JDRook wrote:I'd want to clean it up a bit first. I've got the whole thing in one monstrous .por file (~36MB) with a few additional customized versions of certain characters I wanted to fix for my own purposes. Also, if what FuzzyBoots says is true, I should strip out the names and artwork before distributing it, leaving 600+ Unnamed Heroes for people to identify by powersets, skills and complications. Oh, I haven't put complications on all of them either.

Still want it? Even with all that, it could save you dozens of hours of data entry.

I want it. But to be clear, You would not get in trouble for sharing a file with the names. Company vs individual has different responsibilities. If you had to strip names, so would everyone else who posts Marvel and DC characters on these forums. In the worst case you would post it and someone would ask for you to take it down (a cease and desist) by which point many of those who would want it already got it.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed May 16, 2012 1:55 pm

JDRook wrote:Also, if what FuzzyBoots says is true, I should strip out the names and artwork before distributing it, leaving 600+ Unnamed Heroes for people to identify by powersets, skills and complications.

To be more accurate, I pointed out that technically speaking, such a file faces issues of copyright and trademark such that Lone Wolf will probably never be able to release it. As a member of the community... well, no one's slapped us down for giving correct names to all of the official characters statted out in the Role Call forum.

The actual statblocks fall under the d20 licensing as I understand it, and are therefore distributable.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Wed May 16, 2012 2:06 pm

Ok, I'll probably look into doing this over the weekend. I'll keep the names in place, but I think I will take out the artwork both for legal simplicity and file size considerations.

My Rules Musings in 3e

Roman Virtue
Hero
Hero

Postby Roman Virtue » Wed May 16, 2012 2:36 pm

Absolutely! I would really appreciate that! How about I send you a pm with my email?
Legends Never Die!!!
Roman Virtues Facebook

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Wed May 16, 2012 2:37 pm

Artwork is one thing, but names shouldn't be an issue. And if they are, maybe you can rename them with a simple code designation and then provide a handy chart to see what code goes with what hero. ;)
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang

SeeleyOne
Henchman
Henchman

Postby SeeleyOne » Wed May 16, 2012 8:45 pm

Having received H&V 1 today (I will receive H&V 2 on Friday), I would love to get those files as well. I have a dropbox account and I have a website, which I haven't updated in a very long, long time. I mention that as an offer for hosting for sharing purposes.
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.

Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

Return to “Fan Resources”