Super Heroic Music

Have an M&M fan Web site? Find a great place to get superhero miniatures? Have miniature conversion tips or any other resources like that? Put 'em in here.
Dark Koala
Partisan
Partisan

Super Heroic Music

Postby Dark Koala » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:53 am

Figured this would be the most appropriate place for such a thread.

Since about a year ago, I've made it a point while running games to have appropriate background music (since I store most of my campaign information on my laptop, I simply play it off that). It's been pretty easy to find tracks appropriate to your standard dungeon-crawl, medieval fantasy setting. I'm having trouble finding stuff appropriate for a superhero campaign, though.

To be clear, I'm really looking for stuff with little or no lyrics, mostly just music. Epic, swelling heroic stuff like the opening to Justice League Unlimited, or intense action (but NOT techno) music like the opening of the old 90s X-Men cartoon. Any suggestions are welcome, though.

Speedster
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Super Heroic Music

Postby Speedster » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Check the soundtracks for animated features based on comic book characters. I think the Dr. Strange animated feature, in particular, had a cool score.
Stand-up comedy, Android application development and cape & cowl fiction at Adam Komar dot Com.

Jraven56
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Jraven56 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:50 am

Ryan Star's Brand New Day

It has lyrics, but the music does a good job of blending with them. It's a 'softer' heroic peace but to me it gives a very subdued awesome presence feeling. It's also the opening theme to Lie To Me

I use it as the 'theme' for one of my NPC's.
Someone told me to write a blog about movies and RPGs...So here it is

Odami
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Odami » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:05 am

I like to make short movies to intro my games. I use music from Freeplaymusic.com. You can download various sizes of clips and its all divided up into categories such as Action/Adventure, TV Soundtrack...etc. Check it out.

The movies I make are just with Windows Movie Maker. Super easy.

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:18 am

Soundtracks to The Incredibles & Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. You can also find the soundtrack to the Freedom Force and Evil Genius games.

The music for the Spider-Man movies are also good and not as instantly-recognizable as the Superman (John Williams) or Batman (Danny Elfman) themes.

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:00 pm

I usually look for era appropriate music. I know that that isn't exactly what you are looking for, though. For example, I am running in the 90's right now, so we use a lot of late 80's and early 90's music. World music can help too, if you want it for background noise that cannot be sung along to.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

betterwatchit
Henchman
Henchman

Postby betterwatchit » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:56 am

You might want to check out some of the stuff by Two Steps From Hell, especially Heart of Courage!

cobalt-blue
Superhero
Superhero

Postby cobalt-blue » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Vangelis and Holst are always good selections. I also use the soundtracks to the Final Fantasy games for this purpose.

Locke
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Locke » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:01 am

It might not have quite the heroic feel your looking for, but I've been using the inFamous and inFamous 2 soundtracks for the Savage Worlds supers game I've been running. It has a little grittier feel to it, but you might find something that works for you.
Josh Leavitt, Editor - PrepMyBook.com

My Blog - Locke'd Life

Beleriphon
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Beleriphon » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:00 pm

The Dark Knight soundtrack comes to mind.

FireGiant
Bystander
Bystander

Postby FireGiant » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:28 am

I usually have a playlist comprised of music from to many different sources to even begin to list. However, as of late, I've been using Songza.
http://www.songza.com
Pretty nifty site, also have an app on my phone. But if you go to browse, by genre, they have a film score category. There's a "Superhero Soundtrack" playlist that's pretty super... :roll: The "Epic Film Score" playlist isn't to bad either.

My favorite soundtrack is the one for X-Men 3, as the last acts worth of music is really epic.

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Postby kirinke » Sat May 18, 2013 1:41 pm

Just search for epic scores on amazon. They're under ten bucks and most of em are quite good!

Return to “Fan Resources”