M&M 3E Rank Benchmarks (Mass and Distance)

Have an M&M fan Web site? Find a great place to get superhero miniatures? Have miniature conversion tips or any other resources like that? Put 'em in here.
terrestrialboy
Groupie
Groupie

M&M 3E Rank Benchmarks (Mass and Distance)

Postby terrestrialboy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:49 pm

This originated over in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=38344

And it was suggested I post it here, so ...

I found myself needing a benchmark for the weight/mass of objects in M&M 3E, such as needing to know the mass rank for a motorcycle so a character can throw it, etc. I found the rulebook didn't have anything of the sort, so I set out to rectify that ... and went a bit overboard. Here's the final result:

M&M 3E Ranks Benchmarks
President, Gamer's Haven, Inc.
http://www.gamershavenpodcast.com/
"One does not explain away what is already done, one does not argue against what is already accomplished, and one does not condemn what has already gone by."
Analects III:21

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Re: M&M 3E Rank Benchmarks (Mass and Distance)

Postby Foreshadow » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:47 pm

That's a great chart, wish DCA would have simply had such an informative benchmark chart.

Perhaps you can do the same for the Material Toughness chart. It is good, but could be much better. I don't like how it jumps from 10 to 15 and might list something like Titanium. Super-Alloy was set at 20 but lots of common items would be nice to have listed;

standard interior wall
standard exterior brick wall
standard exterior office (plexiglass) wall

Plus there are a lot of real world superalloys and minerals and in fact substances harder than diamond (believe it or not but there really is of course it takes a special set of circumstances to produce it)

Still a chart like yours that fills out the Toughness 0 to 20, perhaps up to 30 or even 40 would be great.

Since this is a home-brewed chart feel free to add Impervium, Adamantite, Adamantium (an alloy made from adamantite a fused mineral/metaloid), Mithral, Orichulum, or whatever strikes your fancy.

Flesh, Paper, Soil (+0),
Ceramic, Cloth, Glass, Leather, Rope (+1),
Crystal, Fiberglass, Plastic, Sand, Soft Stone (+2),
Silicon, Wood, Adobe, Fiber Rope (+3),
Ice, Rubber, Soft Metals (+4),
Stone, Hardwood, Kevlar, Average Wall (+5),
Asphalt, Brick, High-Strength Plastics, Light Machinary (+6),
Beta Cloth, Heavy Machinary, Platinum, Industrial Wall (+7),
Concrete, Coral, Crystal Rock, Iron (+8),
Bronze, Bullet-Proof Glass, Reinforced Concrete (+9),
Granite Stone, Steel (+10),
Hardened Steal, Volcanic Rock (+11),
Gemstones, Osmium Steel (+12),
Diamond (to break), Industrial Cutting Tools (+13),
Super-Heavy Alloy Metal (ie-Inconel) (+14),
Titanium, Carbonite Alloy (ie-Hastelloy) (+15),
Meteroic Alloy (ie-Mithral) (+16),
Plasteel (Liquid Metal, Vitralloy) (+17),
Daka Crystals (Vibranium, Acoustium) (+18),
Diamond (to cut), Besaltium Alloy (+19),
Super-Alloy (Impervium, Adamantium, Duralloy) (+20),
Mystically Enhanced Super-Alloy (Orichaclum, Uru, Omnicrum (+25)

Of course you may disagree with some of these, especially the higher ended ones. Great, they are just examples that I listed but are by no means the final word. Please correct them if you wish.

Personally I'd like to set some of these higher, making the highest end 30.

Play with it and see what you can do.
Add a bunch of real world objects, like Trash Bins (large garbage bins in the alley), manhole covers, etc.. Things supers like to hit, damage and otherwise use or interact with.

terrestrialboy
Groupie
Groupie

Postby terrestrialboy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:28 am

I thought about that after I did the chart, and will probably do a toughness chart as well. Just gotta find the time ... so stay tuned.
President, Gamer's Haven, Inc.
http://www.gamershavenpodcast.com/
"One does not explain away what is already done, one does not argue against what is already accomplished, and one does not condemn what has already gone by."
Analects III:21

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:09 pm

I researched it and found that many minerals are in fact what fall into that 10 to 20 range, like Volcanic Rock, which is harder than steel, and various types of composite minerals like Volcanic Rock (which has molten metal in it.

The two things I found that are harder than Diamonds are: a type of mineral that forms inside a super-hot event like a Meteor Crash or a Volcanic explosion where they have found such metal. I forgot the name but it has a hardness more than Diamond.

The term adamant which basically means unbreakable probably was a substance like this or perhaps diamond, but was a mineral, and when you combine with an alloy you get Adamantium, thus Adamant would be like +18 or +19 toughness. I basically called Daka crystals (or the stuff that is used to mix with the alloy to make Vibranium this type of mineral.

So Vibranium is a fused mineral/metal.

I also found that if you mix some of these super-dense minerals into metal they then becomes super-alloys and alloys (like Titanium) that have special properties, chiefly they are capable of withstanding massive amounts of heat above what is normal for a metal like Steel and are commonly used in space shuttle shielding, reactor cores, and stuff like that. So they are real.

They also created Plasteel and make things like Baseball bats. Basically its metal you can mold like plastic, and thus is much stronger than normal plastic and more flexible than normal alloy's.

I'm sure soon they'll create transparent aluminum or real Duralloy and it will be some type of composite super-alloy (ie it won't rust and will have other super-alloy properties and in the future we'll have common house hold items made of it, unless the cost to make it is exceedingly high). In a game setting like Gamma World, it was the case that it was fairly common and assumed that a fairly cheap way to make it, like plasteel was found.

Finally, the other harder than diamond thing are nano-diamonds and are little tiny things that can scratch, you guessed it, just about anything including diamonds. Thus they can scratch the 'unbreakable'. The other thing I found is that today's real researchers theorize that more super-alloys and substances are on the horizon and thus it would not surprise me other 15+ toughness things exist, which currently are thought of as science fiction.

Then there are theorized substances like Neutronium, supposedly the center of a neutron star is made of this super-dense matter, and I assume it would be like metal or something strange. Of course, no one has seen it and, well it would be like a Beryllium Sphere, like you see in the movie the Core. There really is a metal like that, but the one in the movie was suppose to be some alloy/mineral 'super-metal' I think that had strange futuristic properties.

Kommando
Champion
Champion

Postby Kommando » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:32 pm

Very nice chart! That's going right on the Kindle. :D
There are at least 1,500 active volcanoes that we know about...and at least one that we don't.

diavolo
Bystander
Bystander

Postby diavolo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:08 pm

The chart looks great. Thanks for sharing it with us. I had been looking back in my 2nd edition books (or wikipedia) to figure out the weights of random things like trains and cars. Your chart will certainly save time.

Delemental
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Delemental » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:27 pm

Thanks for the benchmark sheet! Just as a means of further reference, I made myself a simple spreadsheet to calculate how big objects of various volumes on the chart would be, for things like Create Object. I'm more visual, so it's easier for me to describe something as "it's about three feet wide" as opposed to "it's 15 cubic feet". For each rank, this list gives the diameter of a sphere of the listed volume (so at rank 0, a sphere would have a diameter of 1.2 feet).

Hope people find this useful. One day, I might get really ambitious and try to put in some common objects as benchmarks (like a softball is Rank -5, and a large grapefruit is Rank -4).

Code: Select all

Rank          Volume (cu ft)          Diameter (feet)
-5               0.031                    0.4 (4.7 inches)
-4               0.063                    0.5 (5.9 inches)
-3               0.125                    0.6 (7.4 inches)
-2               0.25                     0.8 (9.4 inches)
-1               0.5                      1.0   
0                 1                       1.2   
1                 2                       1.6   
2                 4                       2.0   
3                 8                       2.5   
4                 15                      3.1   
5                 30                      3.9   
6                 60                      4.9   
7                 125                     6.2   
8                 250                     7.8   
9                 500                     9.8   
10               1,000                   12.4   
11               2,000                   15.6   
12               4,000                   19.7   
13               8,000                   24.8   
14               15,000                  30.6   
15               32,000                  39.4   
16               65,000                  49.9   
17               125,000                 62.0   
18               250,000                 78.2   
19               500,000                 98.5   
20               1,000,000              124.1   
21               2,000,000              156.3   
22               4,000,000              196.9   
23               8,000,000              248.1   
24               15,000,000             306.0   
25               32,000,000             393.9   
26               65,000,000             498.9   
27               125,000,000            620.4   
28               250,000,000            781.6   
29               500,000,000            984.7   
30               1,000,000,000          1240.7

After Rank 30, diameters increase by roughly x1.25 for every +1 rank.
Play by Post Characters
Breakneck, for The New Guardians

Return to “Fan Resources”