M&M for Android

Have an M&M fan Web site? Find a great place to get superhero miniatures? Have miniature conversion tips or any other resources like that? Put 'em in here.
Speedster
Groupie
Groupie

M&M for Android

Postby Speedster » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:44 pm

Would anyone be interested in a Mutants and Masterminds character creator app for Android phones? I'm considering making one, but I wanted to see if there was any interest first.
Stand-up comedy, Android application development and cape & cowl fiction at Adam Komar dot Com.

Huntsman
Hireling
Hireling

Re: M&M for Android

Postby Huntsman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:40 am

I was just searching to see if there was one available. I would certainly be interested in this.

Speedster
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Speedster » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:52 pm

Excellent. If you know anyone else that's interested, get'em to post about it. The more people that express their interest, the more motivated I'll be to do it.
Stand-up comedy, Android application development and cape & cowl fiction at Adam Komar dot Com.

Malthusian
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Malthusian » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:49 pm

I'm interested. Why, just the other day I was thinkin' to myself, Self, it'd be great if I could work on my conversions on my phone...

Thanks,
Malthusian

Darth Sarcastic
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Darth Sarcastic » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:17 am

If anyone's looking to make one for i-pod/i-phone...then I'm very interested.
"Shall I goto Red Alert sir? It does mean changing the light-bulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

Speedster
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Speedster » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:50 pm

Darth Sarcastic wrote:If anyone's looking to make one for i-pod/i-phone...then I'm very interested.

I've had that discussion with people about HeroClix applications. Apple makes it very hard to develop apps for their products where as developing for Android is much easier. Apple has a $100 setup fee regardless of your developing purposes. Google only requires a $25 setup fee if you plan on developing paid apps. Otherwise, no setup fee is required. Apple takes a 30% commission from all app sales. Google only takes 2.9%. Android is open source. iOS is not. Apps for iProducts can only be developed on a Mac OS X system (or one emulating it). Android apps can be developed on any of the major OSes: Windows, Linus or Mac.

As much as I dislike Apple, I'd love to be able to develop apps for iProducts since they have a larger market. More than that, though, I wish people would see the light and get Android phones. It has so much more potential.

Speedster
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Speedster » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:36 pm

I've gotten some interface design done. I think most of it should be pretty easy to put together. The only thing I see taking time to put together is the powers.

jamesewelch
Bystander
Bystander

Postby jamesewelch » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:50 am

I've been working on an Android app for a while now (took the last 4 months off). If you need some help or just want to collaborate on ideas and code, let me know. You can set up a project on Google Projects or CodePlex, GitHub, etc.

The only problem that I'm running into with my Android app is the lack of "syncing." Syncing (aka manually copying files for end-users) seem to be a big PITA. My app is a comic book inventory system (an android app that reads the db of an existing freeware desktop app, so I can take my inventory with me and sync with laptop later, etc.)

I'm thinking that character files will be much smaller, so you can probably attach a file extension handler (like mmc (M&M character). Then you can email the files (or download from web) and that could launch the app. My dbs are a bit bigger and I haven't figure out how to do it yet for me. Other than using USB, mounting as HD, then copy the file into the /data/data/app.name/databases directory on internal or sdcard, etc.

The powers will be a lot of coding. There's tons of them and especially the power sets will be complicated. I think it can be done, but it's going to be a big project.

Speedster
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Speedster » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:06 pm

jamesewelch wrote:I've been working on an Android app for a while now (took the last 4 months off). If you need some help or just want to collaborate on ideas and code, let me know. You can set up a project on Google Projects or CodePlex, GitHub, etc.

We could probably have a consultation-type thing going, but I tend to keep the details of my projects fairly private.

The only problem that I'm running into with my Android app is the lack of "syncing." Syncing (aka manually copying files for end-users) seem to be a big PITA. My app is a comic book inventory system (an android app that reads the db of an existing freeware desktop app, so I can take my inventory with me and sync with laptop later, etc.)

Suggestions for a similar app I made were to have a self-email option or open the device's web browser to a "new post" page.

I'm thinking that character files will be much smaller, so you can probably attach a file extension handler (like mmc (M&M character). Then you can email the files (or download from web) and that could launch the app. My dbs are a bit bigger and I haven't figure out how to do it yet for me. Other than using USB, mounting as HD, then copy the file into the /data/data/app.name/databases directory on internal or sdcard, etc.

I'm not going to worry about storage until I get that far with the app, but I can see something like Note Everything's functionality working well.

The powers will be a lot of coding. There's tons of them and especially the power sets will be complicated. I think it can be done, but it's going to be a big project.

Not as big as you might think. For one thing, I'm leaving descriptions out of the app. If you want to know exactly how the effects/powers work then you still have to get the books. I'm only providing enough information in the app to provide proper functionality. Even then, all the information the app uses probably won't be visible to user.

Drakos
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Drakos » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:12 pm

Put me in the interested column.
Be a Hero

Yagami Fire
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Yagami Fire » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:31 pm

As the owner of a wonderful android phone I would very much like this! Consider me interested!

cbwjm
Henchman
Henchman

Postby cbwjm » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:55 pm

Searched for an app recently. I'd be interested for sure.

Darth Sarcastic
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Darth Sarcastic » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:11 am

Just read a post from Lone Wolf...the folks who make Hero Lab, they say they are looking into making a HeroLab portable for handheld devices (I-phone/pod/pad...Android...and 1 or 2 others). Figure by the end of the year we'll see for sure.
"Shall I goto Red Alert sir? It does mean changing the light-bulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

Animus
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Animus » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:12 am

Interested phandroid is interested.

westontinople
Groupie
Groupie

Postby westontinople » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:00 pm

yes, yes i would.