High School Heroes: Inspiration

Have an M&M fan Web site? Find a great place to get superhero miniatures? Have miniature conversion tips or any other resources like that? Put 'em in here.
SalaciousGM
Bystander
Bystander

High School Heroes: Inspiration

Postby SalaciousGM » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:55 am

Hey all,
I'm still new to the whole superhero RPG/tabletop scene and I've started up a campaign with a group of friends in a PL 7 high school setting. I was wondering what comics would be good references for that kind of setting.
I didn't really grow up with comic books, so I'm unfamiliar with all the storylines and characters in the major series. Hell, I don't even know if this is the right place I should be posting this :?
If I could be pointed in a direction, 'twould be appreciated!
"Murder Squid: The fear of African Americans everywhere since 2009!"

JohnMatrix
Bystander
Bystander

Re: High School Heroes: Inspiration

Postby JohnMatrix » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:08 pm

Well, it's been a while since I saw this at the top of the forum page and I've been refreshing this page hoping someone might provide you with an answer.

I think there was once a time when someone would have just told you to pick up one of the X-men titles, but with ongoing events in the Marvel universe I don't think they've actually had a high-school setting for awhile now. Which is kind of a shame really.

Although it's not much of an team book, I enjoyed the heck out of Ultimate Spider-man. That continuity kept Parker in the class-room, and bought most of his school friends into one kind of danger or another. (It's been a while but I'm pretty sure the reality-TV Kraven the Hunter films some footage of his Hunt for the Spider in Pete's school, plus the goblin blows it up and some other stuff).

In the same vein is the first volume or so of Invincible (from Image) had Mark Grayson and fellow super-teens patrolling and solving the mysterious disappearances at local high schools before he graduated to college.

If you're going to be raiding the archives you could also try to check out The Intimates from the Wildstorm imprint. It detailed the school life of a bunch of super-powered teens at a special academy for their kind. The 12 issues I've read took place almost entirely at the academy.

Probably the best resource for what you want is going to be the Hero High supplement. It's one of my favourite supplements for M&M and it explores every nook and cranny of the Super-high game setting you could think of, and all of it in one handy book packed to the top with cool inspiration in every paragraph.

Hopefully this bump might get some other people with more up to date knowledge offering you some inspiration (and I can quietly lurk and benefit myself).

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:06 pm

Teen Titans is a good place to look. Check out maybe the animated series as well, that could help. The 90's X-Men cartoon is also helpful, because you can watch it, and it takes place in a school.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Dark Koala
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Dark Koala » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:07 pm

The 90s X-Men? Not so much. X-Men Evolution, however, is probably the best fit for a highschool heroes series that I can think of. The first season is kind of slow and, admittedly, a bit cheesey at times, but it picks up around the season 1 finale.

LynnLeFey
Bystander
Bystander

Postby LynnLeFey » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:21 pm

If you can find a trade paperback of the first year of New Mutants, it was pretty good.

Maybe one of the easiest example would be from watching the movie 'Sky High', which is great fun and good inspiration.

Even the current 'No Ordinary Family' TV series has two teen supers in it for examples.

Oh, wow... how could I forget? The first several seasons of 'Smallville'.

And the current cartoon series 'Young Justice' has been very good so far.

I have to say honestly, I haven't read a recent comic about teens in a bazillion years.

ScourgeXLVII
Disciple
Disciple

Postby ScourgeXLVII » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:28 pm

New mutants (volume 1 or 2) could work, but they both are more reliant on it being a super-powered high-school. Also, X-men: Evolution was given as an inspiration, especially for heroes at a normal school, and I think it is an amazing starting off point for a high-school campaign, but as a show (even with my Nostalgia; It was one of the last cartoons I watched regularly as a kid) it does leaves quite a bit to be desired, but if you can get past some of the... face-palmy moments, it gives great inspiration. Young Avengers, I find, is also pretty good.
"You know youre too old for Superhero cartoons when you start considering the thousands of dollars of damage caused in the pursuit of a jewelry thief, who stole a couple hundred dollars in jewelry, which was probably insured anyway"
-My roommate

Shoe2
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Shoe2 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:43 am

Any of the Spider-Girl books did a good job of teen hero stuff too. Alot like Pete's old adventures, but with his daughter May being the new web slinger

Captain Werewolf
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Captain Werewolf » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:52 am

Check out the Morrison arc from New X-Men called "Riot at Xavier's." Also, two non-"Big Two" books: Morning Glories and Umbrella Academy. You might also want to look at Runaways--not technically *in* high school, but featuring high school age characters.

cobalt-blue
Superhero
Superhero

Postby cobalt-blue » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:40 am

If you're up for it, and you don't mind me "blowing my own horn", you may want to check out my Cadre 5 story line in the Story Hour section of this board.

Return to “Fan Resources”