DC Adventures (3E) Character Generator

Have an M&M fan Web site? Find a great place to get superhero miniatures? Have miniature conversion tips or any other resources like that? Put 'em in here.
Ski
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: DC Adventures (3E) Character Generator

Postby Ski » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:14 am

Ok. Here's what I've done (taken from my post in the General forum):

Version 1.09
Added a "Custom" Power Effect for things like devices or other misc. categories.

This was made mostly for devices, specifically removable items. This may not be the best way to incorporate it, but here's what I did so far (taken from the notes I've added to the Power Components page):

Note: There is a component called "Custom". You can use that for any other category of power. It was specifically designed for devices. For a device, the component name would be something like "Removable", the Power Effect "Custom", the Base Cost "-5", and the Rank "1". When building the Power on the next page, it is easiest to understand if the Custom Component is chosen first.

Here's what the output would look like from the forum output page:

Powers
Laser Gauntlets:
Removable (-5 points), Blast 10
(15 pp)

What happens is that if the spreadsheet notices that you chose the "Custom" power effect, the output changes. Instead of the standard Effect Rank Notes format, it prints out Component (Cost points).

I hope that makes sense and adds some functionality to the sheet.

Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Demongg » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:04 pm

Hey Great Work thusfar!

Question... What FONT is best to view this sheet with? I know that sometimes different systems/machines will bring Excel and Word docs up in the native font they're using - so I'm not sure if mine are correct.

For Example - the "DC Adventures" title on the Character Sheet (on my Excel) is at Size 52 and way too big to fit in the cell area.

Any thought?
-kev-

"With great power..."

Ski
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Ski » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:26 pm

Demongg wrote:Hey Great Work thusfar!

Question... What FONT is best to view this sheet with? I know that sometimes different systems/machines will bring Excel and Word docs up in the native font they're using - so I'm not sure if mine are correct.

For Example - the "DC Adventures" title on the Character Sheet (on my Excel) is at Size 52 and way too big to fit in the cell area.

Any thought?

I didn't even think of fonts, really. I am using the default font for Excel 2007 for most of the calculations (Calibri).

For the word "DC Adventures", I used Newsflash BB at 56 and rotated it a few degrees. Everything else on the Character Sheet is either Arial or Arial Narrow, I believe.

I'll change that DC Adventures to a graphic, maybe. That will allow the font to look slightly better than normal but won't force people to install anything.

Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Demongg » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:40 pm

Ski wrote:I didn't even think of fonts, really. I am using the default font for Excel 2007 for most of the calculations (Calibri).

For the word "DC Adventures", I used Newsflash BB at 56 and rotated it a few degrees. Everything else on the Character Sheet is either Arial or Arial Narrow, I believe.

I'll change that DC Adventures to a graphic, maybe. That will allow the font to look slightly better than normal but won't force people to install anything.

No worries.
I've found, when designing something for a large group of people that might be using different versions, it's best to stick with basic system fonts (like Calibri, Times, etc...) or to go the other way and use a graphic (or just make the whole thing a PDF).

This is a great effort. I love Excel sheets! I thought I'd help with the graphics a bit if you like....
I messed around a little with the "OFFICIAL" DCA Character Sheet (only to make it fit your Excel work), made it a graphic (deleting lines, etc... to allow you to work in Excel cells more easily and I imported it in as a "background" for the sheet.

I thought it would help you to have that as an option for a print sheet tab (front and back). I am NOT an excel guru, so NONE of the functions work and I just used your character sheet tab as a base for dropping in the image. If you would like, you can now go back in and make all the areas drop in the info from your sheet to auto-populate with the DCA background.

I don't know how to attach or link a file for you to grab...
I have the Excel doc and the jpg files for the Front/Back of the DCA character sheet I updated - I can email them privately or on this thread if someone tells me how. Email me privately if you'd like me to send the attachments: kevperrine@yahoo.com

Use it if you like.
I just wanted to see if you could add a background into Excel, once I found that option - I noticed that the official sheet needed modified (slightly) to fit your parameters.

Hope it works.
-kev-

"With great power..."

Ski
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Ski » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:55 am

That sounds awesome. I have never tried something like that. I figured it had to be possible, but I've always just used cells and borders to try to recreate things. Using a background image sounds like it would be perfect. That way we can give folks another option for how to print out characters.

I'm emailing you now and thanks a ton. It really does sound like a cool option.

Arknight
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Arknight » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:10 am

I woke up this morning and my half-tired mind thought of a couple of things for the character sheet output. :)

1) Right now, it seems to be stringing everything together one after the other, so I've got this for an output in the Equipment:

• Combat Baton
Damage [Strike 3]• Armored Costume

As you can see, the Armored Costume is crammed up against the last component of the Combat Baton. I found that if you change the formula in cell Equipment!CC14 to have an additional "&CHAR(10)" at the end of the formula, then you get this output that looks a bit neater:

• Combat Baton
Damage [Strike 3]
• Armored Costume

By doing that, you get it streaming down the printout in columns. Right now, you just get one column. However, that's where my next thought came in :)

2) With both the equipment and the powers areas on the sheet, break them up into two areas instead. Then, change the formulas so each one has half the full list. Best would be an odd/even for what holds what. i.e. first column holds power/equipment 1, 3, 5 etc. while the second one holds 2, 4, 6 etc..

Make sense? :)

TC

Ski
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Ski » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:24 am

Version 1.11

Some significant changes.

First, I fixed the problem with not allowing custom power components to have negative costs. This was caused by conflicts between versions 1.09 and 1.10. In 1.09, I allowed custom powers and said you could assign them negative base costs. In 1.10, I "fixed" the problem with Power Effect Cost + Extras + Flaws being a negative number. Unfortunately, I didn't take into consideration that sometimes we -want- power components to have negative costs. Now, if the power effect is "Custom", it will ignore the negative cost chart.

I fixed the Equipment page. As Arknight spotted, I didn't have the data validation set properly. Every equipment after the first was still looking at PowerComponents, not EquipmentComponents.

And now on the Basics sheet, there is a YES/NO toggle. If you choose YES (or leave it blank), the sheet will now print out the Description Modifier, Extras, Flaws, and Flats boxes. If you choose NO, it will only print out the Description Modifier (the way it worked in previous versions).

It might save someone some cutting and pasting time.

As always, thanks for the suggestions and all your help.

Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Demongg » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:19 pm

Ski wrote:That sounds awesome. I have never tried something like that. I figured it had to be possible, but I've always just used cells and borders to try to recreate things. Using a background image sounds like it would be perfect. That way we can give folks another option for how to print out characters.

I'm emailing you now and thanks a ton. It really does sound like a cool option.

Just emailed the files to you.
Hope it works. Should be a fairly easy update. The (now two) new character sheet tabs show the Official DCA sheet in the background (updated/modified to fit this Excel doc). You will just need to add in all the cells to auto-populate the tab where appropriate.
PS...
I modified the official sheet using the COLOR version. I just thought, it'd be an easy click to gray-scale them if you think that's necessary. Personally - for those people that want a BW image to print, I've always just thought THEY could change their printer settings to Grayscale using the color version to print. But if it makes a difference I can fix/email you grayscaled jpgs for Background load.

let me know
good work Ski
hope it works well
-kev-

"With great power..."

ART!
Hireling
Hireling

Postby ART! » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:53 am

Hot dog! Thanks so much for doing this, Ski! I got a lot of use out of your 2E generator. I'll be giving this new one a try today!
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.

Ski
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Ski » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:37 pm

Version 1.12

Emergency release to fix a lookup reference in the power component costs.

Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Demongg » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:45 pm

Hey Ski,

I just updated and resent you those files. It's wonky in how I made it work but it works and prints correctly now.
Let me know if you didn't get the files.
-kev-

"With great power..."

Ski
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Ski » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:32 am

Demongg wrote:Hey Ski,

I just updated and resent you those files. It's wonky in how I made it work but it works and prints correctly now.
Let me know if you didn't get the files.

Got them. I'll try to incorporate them over the weekend. I read the process you sent me and it sounds convoluted... but you can't argue with results. :D

Version 1.13 has been posted. It fixed a few math errors and adds more information about skill ranks.

Ski
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Ski » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:54 am

I've been posting mostly in the General forums instead of this one. Maybe we should close this one and just use the Public thread?

Regardless:

Version 1.17

Power Components that have limited in the Description (or Flaws if you have Print Extras/Flaws/Flats
turned on) will not add to your ability, defense, or protection values.

Custom Sheet ability scores point towards total value, not the base value.

Removed the DCA sheet for now. Working on it using a different spreadsheet. I'm just having some
serious issues with the formatting and I don't want to include it for public release. I'll keep working
on it in the background.

Fixed typo for Advantages on the Forums Output.

Choos
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Choos » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:11 pm

First of all Ski, thank you my hat comes off to your work.

Have a question with 1.25 how do I add more power components?

I got 3/4s of the way through building my powers and ran out of component slots!

marshall.richard
Bystander
Bystander

Postby marshall.richard » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:24 pm

awesome! excellent work!

Return to “Fan Resources”