Alternative Powers (not alternate powers ;) )

Have an M&M fan Web site? Find a great place to get superhero miniatures? Have miniature conversion tips or any other resources like that? Put 'em in here.
Razormind
Bystander
Bystander

Alternative Powers (not alternate powers ;) )

Postby Razormind » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:04 am

Ok first off I don’t really know if this is the right place for this thread (or if it’s in breach of any copy right sizzle), so please let me know before some dude in a suit blasts me with a laser gun while shouting "You've been served!", because I think a jail sentence might limit my super hero career (or maybe I am would become a bad-ass vigilante) (wait, I think I am digressing) (good word)

Well I was sat in my car, on the way home from my last exam and in a day dream world of heroes and villain, when a name came to me, (not out of the blue, I realised later it was from one of my recent deadpool comics :/ but oh well) Wildcard. I usually never think of the characters name first, this usually results in a corny name (e.g. the Moleanator). A luck manipulation power would suit this name well, or so I thought, when I got home, I looked the power up in my book and was disappointed to find it rather, well bland :/ so I decided to whip up a new alternative for it. Here it is...

Luck control
Effect – general
Action – reaction
Range – perception
Duration – instant
Cost – 4 points per rank
Luck control allows you to manipulate events that would be normally random. You gain the following capabilities.
• You gain a bonus on your a desired roll equal to your rank in luck control. You must announce this before the roll takes place.
• You may have a target suffer a penalty on a desired roll equal to your rank in luck control. You must announce this before the roll takes place.
• You may choose to have a roll rerolled, and then choose between the new result or the old result by asking for either the highest or lowest result.
This ability can only be used a limited number of times (it is cannot subject to the fade flaw). At rank one this is 5 times per adventure, this amount rises the time and value progression table every 6 ranks, starting at rank 6 (10 at rank 6, 25 at rank 12 etc). Only half (rounded up) of these uses can be used on aggressive

Upon its creation I wondered if anyone else had had ideas similar to mine, so feel free to post other alternatives to powers that you think are a little bland, to spice them up a bit. Also feel free if you see any flaws in my alternative to point them out. :D

TedLeBeau
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Alternative Powers (not alternate powers ;) )

Postby TedLeBeau » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:17 am

ooooh like this :D
I know I've used flight as an alternate teleport for a character who turned into light particles, but thats definately not to the same level as this lol :)
Co-Founder of the Saviours

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:51 am

Offhand, it's very powerful for what it is. I'd say that these bonuses would have to apply toward caps, usage should require Hero Point usage, and the power probably should cost more. Take a look at both Luck Control and Probability Control to get an idea of where things probably ought to cost.

Razormind
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Razormind » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:47 pm

Probability control wots that?
Any idea of wot cost it shall be?

rchipman
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby rchipman » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:19 pm

Probability control can be found in Ultimate Powers.

There is a player in ny game that uses a combo of Luck and Probability and he does very well for himself.

I also suggest you look at U.P. before trying to come up with a new power. If you don't own it, you probably should.

Razormind
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Razormind » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:34 am

Ryto thanks dude :D

Return to “Fan Resources”