alternative sea based heroes

Have an M&M fan Web site? Find a great place to get superhero miniatures? Have miniature conversion tips or any other resources like that? Put 'em in here.
PhelanMahoney
Hero
Hero

alternative sea based heroes

Postby PhelanMahoney » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:08 am

OK, I am looking for inspiration. Any place to look for undersea based superheroes OTHER than Aquaman and Namor?

Yzz
Daredevil
Daredevil

Re: alternative sea based heroes

Postby Yzz » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:41 pm

Here's a small (a very small) list of old aquatic supers;
http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Aquatic_Heroes

Also, here's an intresting villainess;
http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Neptina

That's all I've got that doesn't touch Namor or Aquaman.
All Glory and Honor and Praise be to God The Father, God The Son, and God The Holy Spirit, Amen.

PhelanMahoney
Hero
Hero

Postby PhelanMahoney » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:27 am

Quite honestly, I didn't even think there was that much. Thank you very much for sharing this.

Setothes
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Setothes » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:40 pm

Stingray (aquatic powersuit) is one of my favorite Marvel aquatics.

Someone who has a completely different Atlantean connection, such as a sorcerer or gadgeteer who uses Atlantean magic / science, and isn't aquatic by nature, but uses magic / technology to function underwater could work. Arion, Lord of Atlantis, is one direction to go, and having a character based on an Atlantean flying ship and various gear, like shock-blasters or energy-projecting tridents, would be the other way to go. Namor had flying submersibles back in his WW2 appearances, and the Invaders would usually get around in his ship.

Someone like the Legion's Tellus is another option, an aquatic creature with powers that don't necessarily have anything to do with water. A mutant dolphin who can 'swim' through the air and has sonic powers, for instance.

Other options include land-dwellers with aquatic themed powers or equipment, or one of the following;

Undertow (my version of the Factor Four dude, with Zan-like powers to become ice, water or vapor, Tempest (an amalgam of Willow, from Buffy, and Fathom, from the Elementals), Kraken (an aquatic 'child of Azazel' from a terrible Chuck Austen Nightcrawler storyline), Siren (from my tangent Freedom League, an actual mythological siren), Water Witch (a water manipulator from a world that is ruled by uplifted cetaceans), Leech (one of those aquatic creatures with unrelated powers, an alien squid with life-force manipulation abilities), Riptide (bog-standard Atlantean water-manipulator, boring!), Sea Wolf (diver finds 'battlesuit') or Splash (surfer who fly on his board and liquefy solid matter).

Someone with Animal Mimicry powers, limited to sea life, would still have pretty cool power, with a whale's strength, a dolphin's sonar, an electric eel's shock ability, man-o-war poison, octopi camoflauge, etc. If the character also could generate the physical characteristics (such as tentacles or spines or stinging nematodes), so much the better. The character could be like Kingsley Rice from the latest Squadron Supreme version.

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:40 pm

There is Siren in Freedom City.

Actually, here is the best type of character, at least a very good one.

Call him Sea King (or Sea Queen if female). Power build like aquaman/namor/siren in that a physically tough person, fast swimmer (like rank 3 to 5) who can talk to and control sea life. Sounds like Aquaman right. Ok, then allow him (or her to assume a water elemental form, which is an alt form and increases Swimming rank to truly super-speed level (+3 to 5 ranks so the end goal is to have like 8 ranks or so). Allows for some elongation and the character is already a physical tough individual but this water form would increase that a bit.

Then the character should have weather and water control. It is a cross between a character like a god of the sea and storm. This is basically what Siren has.

This way you get a good mix and there is no way this is not one of the coolest characters around. Physically a bad ass, and is essentially a little sea god. I'd go with like rank 10 to 12 for controlling weather/water. The water control acts like a type of telekinesis but can do other effects like a wall of water (deflect) or (shield), lots of effects actually can be generated. I'm sure some people won't have fun with a character like this, but most would.

Would they create a character as good and cool as this in real comics? Apparently not but if this would have been the original Aquaman and he'd have had a name more like the one above, he would never have been the one on the JLA people joked about. He or she would have been up there with Green Lantern and Batman as one of the cooler DC characters, and Marvel would have cloned it and the rest would be history.

You could even just go with a certain Greek God and say this is that character, just like Thor, so it would be like a PL 14 character. Or maybe a son of that god, like Persius or something similar.

Return to “Fan Resources”