Rifts to M&M conversion

Have an M&M fan Web site? Find a great place to get superhero miniatures? Have miniature conversion tips or any other resources like that? Put 'em in here.
chump
Bystander
Bystander

Rifts to M&M conversion

Postby chump » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:55 am

I have completed work on a Rifts to M&M conversion system, I'd love some feedback if anyone is interested. It is available at http://groups.google.com/group/mm2-hero ... tory?hl=en

or by email. thechump1000@hotmail.com

Dark Thoughts
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Rifts to M&M conversion

Postby Dark Thoughts » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:55 pm

This could be a very good thing for both me and a friend of mine. I'm looking to use a Splugorth-ish race in my first M&M adventure but dread actually trying to put one together using the M&M rules as they are still very new to me and I'm sure that I have a lot to learn. To make matters worse, my memory of the Splugorth is shaky at best since we were playing Rifts somewhere around the dawn of time, and finding any statistical information on them has proven to be more difficult than I had anticipated.

My friend on the other hand is trapped in the Palladium system and an M&M conversion may give him the opportunity to GM again after the rest of the group said "no" to backtracking to the Palladium rules.

I've just glanced over your work and everything looks like a good start to me. This could just be my own inexperience talking but even if I knew the M&M rules from cover to cover, I would still try not to be overly critical of another person's work. I know how much effort it takes to do conversions and if nothing else, that should be respected.

I do however have a couple of questions.

1. On the Weapon Damage and Armor Conversion charts, did you get those numbers from an M&M source or did you just use what felt right?

2. Does Rifts actually have Armor Ratings as high as 35,000? Can you give me an example of something with an AR like that?

chump
Bystander
Bystander

Postby chump » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:13 pm

Cool, I hope you and your friend give it a try. I actually have a Splugorth minion conversion I did, but I had to cut it out because of the file size. If you have Herolab, I can send that one to you. I'll also do requests, I had a lot of fun doing this little project. The OCC\RCC were fun because I put my own spin on some of them.

On the Weapon Damage and Armor Conversion charts, did you get those numbers from an M&M source or did you just use what felt right?

The Rifts damage numbers came from the standard damage types the system uses. Most weapons fall into one of the categories on the table, and then all I did was start with a minimum damage based on the weapons listed in Mutants and Masterminds. So, I didn't pull it out of my butt completely but used the two systems as a guide and built it from there.

Does Rifts actually have Armor Ratings as high as 35,000? Can you give me an example of something with an AR like that?

It's not AR, but MDC thats being converted over. MDC doesn't have an AR (well, sometimes it does but that's just a whacky exception or two.). A Splugorth intellegence for example has a 10,000 mdc force field and an average MDC of 30-40, 000. Some of the gods have 20-80,000 MDC, Some boats in Rifts: Underseas have upwards of 20-35,000 MDC as well. It's not super common, but they are in there.
My intention was to take those impossible numbers and make them fightable in a super heroic kind of way, which I think suits the world of Rifts pretty well.

If it's alright with you, I would like to include your questions in the FAQ section of my conversion.

Dark Thoughts
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Dark Thoughts » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:12 am

Yeah, you can use the questions in the FAQ if you want.

I don't have HeroLab yet but I am seriously thinking about getting it when I can get some extra cash together. Our group may also be switching from D&D 3.5 to W&W so that plays a factor as well.

And even if you did pull the numbers out of your butt using a combo of resources from M&M and Rifts, they seem to work. :)

Dark Thoughts
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Dark Thoughts » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:25 pm

How would you handle Armor of Ithan?

Shield 5

Would it need extras to keep recharging?

chump
Bystander
Bystander

Postby chump » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:54 pm

Armour of Ithan is a listed spell in the Rifts M&M book I made. It is essentially a Force Field with the Ablative Flaw. I made all force fields Ablative to keep game balance, I recommend anyone using Rifts M&M do the same.

Dark Thoughts
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Dark Thoughts » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:10 pm

Yep. I saw that after I made my previous post. :oops:

Hellstormer1
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Hellstormer1 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:42 pm

Mr. Chump. Rifts to M&M. You are now my new best friend! Until midnight, anyway, lol!
Ill need to get a copy of that conversion, I like the idea of doing Rifts and it's related matrials this way. Also, I wish Kevin Sembeida would make some books based on the idea, but, myeh.
I believe the first guy mentioned having trouble finding material on the Splugorth. Please search for the Atlantis Sourcebook, I believe it is one of the Rifts World Books.
Mr. Chump, what about Palladium's Robotech RPG books, and possibly even reaching out to Macross, the original anime series that the Macross Saga was converted from, along with it's related materials after the original series? Btw, if you're not familiar with Macross, it's worth looking into. Those transforming jets just keep getting hotter! In short, fighter jets that fly through space like starfighters, and they transform into a 'battloid' or 'battroid' mode which is completely human form with a sort of assault rifle, and a 'Gerwalk' ir 'Guardian' mode that is sort of half if each, a fighter jet cockpit with arms and legs and using it's thrusters, not as fast as the jet or as articulated as the 'battloid', but is more maneuverable and harder to hit and can hover in place.
*bows* I am interested in your thought on this, sir.
"Variety is the spice of life" -Traditional phrase on life and living
"HE WHO CONTROLS THE SPICE, CONTROLS THE UNIVERSE!" -Paul from Dune
"Big things have small beginnings" -David from Prometheus
http://www.RPGGamer.org

Choos
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Choos » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:44 am

Haven't got a sign in yet but this maybe exactly what our group has been looking for as a previously run Palladium Robotech campaign is soon to be run using M&M2 with the Mecha and Manga supplement.

Return to “Fan Resources”