the PERFECT PROP: Broadsheets & Newspapers

Have an M&M fan Web site? Find a great place to get superhero miniatures? Have miniature conversion tips or any other resources like that? Put 'em in here.
Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Demongg » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:16 am

Silverback wrote:Give Garamond a shot and see if you can find some very pale recycled salmon pink paper to print on. It may look even more effective.

I've looked but I hadn't seen any 8.5"x14" paper in anything other than white and obnoxious colors. White works, not perfect, but near enough. I find that players will "forgive" little things like that - not even noticing if the prop is substantial enough.

As for the font.
I'll give it another look this week when I put the paper together, but I originally chose a courier font because its one of those fonts that wasn't "too" similar to anything regularly used in print today, but also one with an "older" feel... maybe more "simple" look for the Victorian print capabilities, even though I know its likely not historically accurate.

I find that in good design, the "impression" of a feeling is actually better than exact accuracy when it comes to giving something a genre/tone flavor.

who knows, its a mystery!
-kev-

"With great power..."

Silverback
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Silverback » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:47 pm

Well the Courier font is primarily related to typewriters (which were pretty new inventions) rather than printing. Take a look at FontSpace for some free Victorian style fonts. Specifically Trinigan FG and Belshaw which should make good headline fonts.

Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Demongg » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:22 pm

Silverback wrote:Well the Courier font is primarily related to typewriters (which were pretty new inventions) rather than printing. Take a look at FontSpace for some free Victorian style fonts. Specifically Trinigan FG and Belshaw which should make good headline fonts.

Thanks. And I may download some of these. But here's another "problem" that I consider when designing something like this that could potentially be used by others on other machines...

They might not have that font.

I want to design for the most simple dumbed down system as possible. One big reason (for me) to do this with fonts as well as "design" in a Word doc (as opposed to InDesign or whatever) is that I want the layout and design to port to ANYONE's machine.
Specifically my work computer if I want to work on it during lunch or something.
As many people would (I imagine), I don't have access to administrative privaledges on my work machine and therefor can't load other programs or even install fonts.

That's why I'm explaining my choices. Not because I disagree with you. But I've already considered these points and went with the best option for my needs as opposed to the perfect option for a perfect world.

make sense?
-kev-

"With great power..."

Silverback
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Silverback » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:28 pm

You could always ZIP the fonts in with your document file and include a Readme to explain how to install the required fonts - a very straightforward procedure.

I tend to look at design based on how I want it to appear rather than any possible admin restrictions. If I can't install the fonts then I don't do work on that machine.

For final documents I tend to publish them to PDF to avoid the whole font headache issue.

Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Demongg » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:57 pm

Silverback wrote:You could always ZIP the fonts in with your document file and include a Readme to explain how to install the required fonts - a very straightforward procedure.

I tend to look at design based on how I want it to appear rather than any possible admin restrictions. If I can't install the fonts then I don't do work on that machine.

For final documents I tend to publish them to PDF to avoid the whole font headache issue.

Totally - I get that approach.
My feeling is that I'd rather allow it to be editable by the end user as much as possible. I know that when I'm using ANYTHING from a game book, adventure, online source, etc.. etc... I will augment it to MY campaign adding or deleting things to fit MY needs.
When its difficult to use and especially if its something that's password protected - I hate it.

When a publisher/creator makes it harder to use like that it makes me wonder... do they REALLY think that anyone that's a big enough jerk to steal/use their idea/product for their own commercial gain, do they really think a password protection will stop that?
No.
It'll slow them down, they may need to scan or retype, but if someone wants to do that they will.

On the other hand, on a much more positive use side of the coin. If I'm a creator making something for fans to use and enjoy I'd think it'd be best to allow the fan to take and use the product as they like (when purchased or whatever) as best possible.

Doesn't mean not doing that is bad, its just misguided if you really want the fan (GM in these cases) to really use your product.
That's why I consider using things that anyone can access.

That's just my humble opinion though.
-kev-

"With great power..."

kipling
Superhero
Superhero

Postby kipling » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:05 pm

Demongg wrote:I want to design for the most simple dumbed down system as possible. One big reason (for me) to do this with fonts as well as "design" in a Word doc (as opposed to InDesign or whatever) is that I want the layout and design to port to ANYONE's machine.

Depends on what you want to do. If it's just print, well, you can create PDFs that include the font (or at least the printed part), so they can be printed, they just can't be edited if you don't have the font.

If you want them to be able to edit, your choices are more restricted.
Stories: Occult Investigation, Freedom City, Listening to the Universe
Not sick now, the tumour is out--thanks for wondering!

rchipman
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby rchipman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:24 am

Have you considered making it a web based utility and using WEFT to embed the font.
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft3/default.htm

Return to “Fan Resources”