What programs do you use for making maps?

Have an M&M fan Web site? Find a great place to get superhero miniatures? Have miniature conversion tips or any other resources like that? Put 'em in here.
Lone Star
Compatriot
Compatriot

What programs do you use for making maps?

Post by Lone Star » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:30 pm

I'm trying to make some custom maps similar to the one in "The Heist", with a grid. What programs could I use to make such a map?
"It's alright to be afraid, David, because this part won't be like a comic book. Real life doesn't fit into little boxes that were drawn for it."

mancerbear
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by mancerbear » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:37 pm

Right now, I use my handy-dandy Photoshop for it :)

Cheers,

Mindforge
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Mindforge » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:24 pm

I use Illustrator, Photoshop, and Indesign to make maps and just about everything I do. Graphic Design is my job and home business. I work for the local newspaper designing the layouts and doing the advertising designs so I have an advantage in making maps using the software.

I love using the software to make maps using satellite images. I can then print large 11x17 battlemaps. I use 1/4 inch markers that represent 5 feet. My maps are 20 feet per inch. I use to get all into the 5' square in D&D and the game started to turn into a tactical game for me. I had to change to suit many needs in my games - first being super hero combat takes place over city blocks in my games sometimes and I have the largest chessex battle mat that they make. There isn't enough room. When we switched to using more of a general idea of placement the feeling of the roleplaying and explaining combat started to return to my games. I still have a grid - it is just 20' per 1" square.

Lone Star
Compatriot
Compatriot

Post by Lone Star » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:21 am

Would AutoCad work as well?
"It's alright to be afraid, David, because this part won't be like a comic book. Real life doesn't fit into little boxes that were drawn for it."

waldiddy
Bystander
Bystander

Post by waldiddy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:41 pm

Anyone looked at Maptool? You can use it as a virtual battlemat for playing over the net or even for FTF games. The battlemat is infinite size and it's not too difficult to build up a symbol library for things to populate a city street with: billboards, cars, hydrants, etc.

I haven't actually used it yet for a game, but I'm probably going to create a set of maps that represent different sections of a city, then just set the PC heroes loose to go where they will.

Phantom Archer
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by Phantom Archer » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:33 am

I've used Windows Viseo to make indoor maps. It works pretty good and was free with the Microsoft Office suite at work.

Lone Star
Compatriot
Compatriot

Post by Lone Star » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:42 pm

waldiddy wrote:Anyone looked at Maptool? You can use it as a virtual battlemat for playing over the net or even for FTF games. The battlemat is infinite size and it's not too difficult to build up a symbol library for things to populate a city street with: billboards, cars, hydrants, etc.

I haven't actually used it yet for a game, but I'm probably going to create a set of maps that represent different sections of a city, then just set the PC heroes loose to go where they will.
Wow, this is pretty awesome. Thanks a lot!