Suggestions for a good Online TT program?

Have an M&M fan Web site? Find a great place to get superhero miniatures? Have miniature conversion tips or any other resources like that? Put 'em in here.
Warr
Hireling
Hireling

Suggestions for a good Online TT program?

Post by Warr » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:12 pm

I'm trying to find a good program for use with a campaign I'm building, and unforunately I'm at a loss. I tried OpenRPG, but it's sort of complicated. Are there any other programs akin to OpenRPG, any alternatives?

I placed it here because I was asking for a resource, and my gut told me to ask it here instead of Sidekick Lounge, though that was my original inclination. If I did something incorrectly in placing it here, please forgive me.

Lindharin
Partisan
Partisan

Post by Lindharin » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:57 pm

I've been using MapTools (www.rptools.net I think) and loving it. I've also been using Google Earth to get pictures of real cities / places and using that as my "map" when outside. It's a great way to get large (when you combine them together) maps that work even when characters are flitting around at hundreds of feet per move action.

It isn't as "full featured" as OpenRPG, doesn't have a character sheet tool and its chat features are less extensive, but it is certainly easier to learn and use, and it handles maps MUCH better.

We use Ventrilo for our voice chat, so we don't use the chat window for anything except dice rolls anyway.

There are some great videos / screenshot-movies in their tutorials section and on their forums to get you up to speed quickly.

GPrime
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by GPrime » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:46 pm

Lindharin wrote:I've been using MapTools (www.rptools.net I think) and loving it. I've also been using Google Earth to get pictures of real cities / places and using that as my "map" when outside. It's a great way to get large (when you combine them together) maps that work even when characters are flitting around at hundreds of feet per move action.

It isn't as "full featured" as OpenRPG, doesn't have a character sheet tool and its chat features are less extensive, but it is certainly easier to learn and use, and it handles maps MUCH better.

We use Ventrilo for our voice chat, so we don't use the chat window for anything except dice rolls anyway.

There are some great videos / screenshot-movies in their tutorials section and on their forums to get you up to speed quickly.
Just got MapTools and TokenTools, looks to be a great system, guess I'll be using this. Thanks for the tip mate.

Lindharin
Partisan
Partisan

Post by Lindharin » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:20 pm

My pleasure. :) And yes, TokenTool is also great, very simple to use, I love it. I've got tokens for most of the villains in Freedom City that I intend to use in this campaign, all set to go... :) It took no time at all thanks to the PDF of the book.

heruca
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Suggestions for a good Online TT program?

Post by heruca » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:51 am

Warr wrote:I'm trying to find a good program for use with a campaign I'm building, and unforunately I'm at a loss. I tried OpenRPG, but it's sort of complicated. Are there any other programs akin to OpenRPG, any alternatives?
Hi everyone,

This should help you find what you're looking for:
Comprehensive list of all virtual tabletop software for RPGs
There are around 33 or 34 different VTT apps available, last time I counted. Some are free, some are commercial, some are still in active development, and others have long ago been abandoned (but might still serve your purpose).

For anyone wanting to compare the various programs, these feature comparison charts of the major VTTs should also prove useful:
VTT Feature Comparison Chart 1
VTT Feature Comparison Chart 2

There is no ONE perfect program for everyone. Which program is best for you depends on your specific needs. But hopefully the information I've linked to above will help each of you pick the right one for you and your gaming group.

By the way, it's worth pointing out that VTTs aren't just for gaming online. Some can also be used in face-to-face game sessions (with a projector or HDTV), or to illustrate play-by-post or play-by-email games. Or they can be used for non-live play, where the GM hosts a continual game session and players log in, take their turn, and log off (this can be useful if players are scattered over multiple time zones).

By the way, I am the developer of Battlegrounds: RPG Edition, one of the virtual tabletop programs mentioned in the links above.

Here are some small samples (partial screens) of how various games from different genres look like in Battlegrounds:

Sorry, I don't yet have a Superhero-genre sample pic in the sequence so that you can see how an M&M game might look. I still need to find some good tokens for that. If anyone knows where I can find some, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll make up some pog-style tokens with TokenTool, as suggested above.

If any special features would need to be added to Battlegrounds to make it more useful for playing M&M, please post a feature request on my forums and I'll see what I can do. For example, I would imagine that some way of tracking the altitude of flying characters might be very handy.