Throwing Calculator?

Have an M&M fan Web site? Find a great place to get superhero miniatures? Have miniature conversion tips or any other resources like that? Put 'em in here.
Prince0DC
Bystander
Bystander

Throwing Calculator?

Post by Prince0DC » Wed May 02, 2007 3:57 am

Does anyone know of a tool that someone has created to allow a GM to calculate the distance a character can throw something; an Exel spreadsheet prehaps?

D

Kakashi64
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Kakashi64 » Fri May 04, 2007 12:32 pm

I don't have a calculator, but I do have a copy of a neat page that does a really good job of making that calculation simple. A link to it was posted a while back. The page I have says "Credits: J. Scott Pittman (www.dragonslayergames.com)."

My freakin' lousy Internet at work blocks the site, but I'd guess it's there somewhere.
[NEXTWAVE] is about [...] absurd levels of destruction and a skewed sense of humor and Spectacle and things blowing up and people getting kicked.

It is especially about THINGS BLOWING UP and PEOPLE GETTING KICKED.

- Warren Ellis, Nextwave Pitch

Prince0DC
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Prince0DC » Fri May 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Kakashi64 -

Thanks for the tip; but I went to the site and could not even locate any M&M resources. Do you have more information that will help me locate what you are talking about?

D

hebbe
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by hebbe » Sat May 05, 2007 12:11 pm

Actually this sounded like a nice little programming challenge, but I can tell you it's not easy getting it right without hardcoding some of the benchmarks.

The fact is that if you use the rule at the end of the carrying capacity table it won't match the ranks in the extended carrying capacity table. The problem occurs when the extended values are rounded up or down to a fixed number.

The point is that it won't be easy to make it accurate without working with the benchmarks that is.

Kakashi64
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Kakashi64 » Wed May 09, 2007 5:50 am

Prince0DC wrote:Kakashi64 -

Thanks for the tip; but I went to the site and could not even locate any M&M resources. Do you have more information that will help me locate what you are talking about?
I wasn't able to find the thread that document came from. I'm a bit loath to post the contents... I mean, I don't think there's any chance of copyright infringement or anything, but you know, better safe than sorry and all. PM me your e-mail addy and I'll send you a copy.

K64
[NEXTWAVE] is about [...] absurd levels of destruction and a skewed sense of humor and Spectacle and things blowing up and people getting kicked.

jpetoh
Hireling
Hireling

Post by jpetoh » Thu May 31, 2007 5:42 pm

OK, I accepted your challenge:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/mnmthrowing/

Threw it together in a couple of hours. Let me know what you think.
"The things that come to those who wait are usually the things left behind by those who got there first."

Kakashi64
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Kakashi64 » Thu May 31, 2007 6:50 pm

Cool. A big chart would be cool too, for those who don't use a PC while gaming. Not that I'm hinting or anything :lol:

No, seriously, that's a very handy tool. Nice work.

jpetoh
Hireling
Hireling

Post by jpetoh » Thu May 31, 2007 8:04 pm

Oh yeah. Sorry about that. I only game PbP now.

I think there is a set of charts over on the Hall of Heroes where the Simpson's Character Builder is. Check it out.
"The things that come to those who wait are usually the things left behind by those who got there first."

milkmanofdoom
Bystander
Bystander

The Throwing Page

Post by milkmanofdoom » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:44 pm

Hey everyone,

The page I gathered together and slightly modified is posted.
I hope you enjoy it! - J. Scott Pittman

milkmanofdoom
Bystander
Bystander

This is it!

Post by milkmanofdoom » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:46 pm

...but apparently I cannot post a link without making two posts to the message boards.

milkmanofdoom
Bystander
Bystander

Finally!

Post by milkmanofdoom » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:46 pm

Silverback
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Silverback » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:47 pm

Calculators tend to be very small and light objects (less than a quarter of a pound I'd say) so even those characters with a very low Strength score should be able to throw it a fair distance!