Gaming Aid: Condition Chips Mk. II (Now Available)

Have an M&M fan Web site? Find a great place to get superhero miniatures? Have miniature conversion tips or any other resources like that? Put 'em in here.
mancerbear
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby mancerbear » Wed May 16, 2007 5:31 pm

Doesn't the paint chip off enrious?

enrious
Bystander
Bystander

Postby enrious » Wed May 16, 2007 6:47 pm

Not in 3 years.

And bear in mind that I'm talking about spray paint, not the dainty little bottles of water-based paint that typically used in the hobby.

Professor Paper
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Professor Paper » Thu May 17, 2007 1:57 am

Okay... this just made gaming easier! ROCK ON!
"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes."
-Desiderius Erasmus

Silverback
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Silverback » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:55 pm

For those of you with a little cash to spend you can always order custom tokens from Litko Aerosystems.

They have a choice of 11 colours, seven different shapes and you can specify what text appears (up to 12 characters) on each set of 10 tokens you order.

If I had the spare cash I'd probably order some myself!

Darkwind
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Darkwind » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:52 am

I really thought about picking up the custom tokens when I saw them advertised on boardgamegeek, but I can't justify the money at the moment.

Anyone that is still looking for poker chips in the right colors can try http://www.5stardeal.com. I just picked up poker chips there in the right colors for .06 a chip. I went with the Super Diamond Clay Composite Chips. They weigh 9g, so they are lighter than a professional chip, but I think they will be just fine for gaming purposes. ;-}

They also have 15% off your order right now. I can't remember when it ends though. Next week I think.

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:52 pm

If cash wasn't so strapped at the moment, I'd be picking these up. We currently use plastic chips for hero points without regard to color. Using the various colors for hits, conditions and HPs is brilliant, IMO.

Darkwind
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Darkwind » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:02 pm

I got my chips in the mail the other day (from the link I posted above).

I am running a M&M demo in September at a convention. I can give some more feedback at that time. ;-}

Silverback
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Silverback » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:58 am

Alea Tools sell a range of Magnetic Markers which could be used in place of poker chips. Possibly on the expensive side they do offer a rather wide range of colours that could be used to represent other conditions.

Silverback
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Silverback » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:06 am

mancerbear wrote:I've been thinking about using playing cards in my game Dr. Confoundo. I made a suggestion in one of the other forums about what I'd like to see in 2008, and I suggested a deck of specific M&M cards, numbered 1-20 with images from the Freedom Universe printed on them. I think they'd work fine, and would look good, but the feedback I recieved regarding them was a little lack-luster.

Not exactly what you were asking for but I purchased a set of iHero's Superhero Tarot cards for use in my M&M games. At the beginning of each adventure I deal out three cards, the players look up their 'meaning' and then try to incorporate them into player actions during the scenario.

mancerbear
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby mancerbear » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:50 am

Silverback wrote:.

Not exactly what you were asking for but I purchased a set of iHero's Superhero Tarot cards for use in my M&M games. At the beginning of each adventure I deal out three cards, the players look up their 'meaning' and then try to incorporate them into player actions during the scenario.[/quote]

Thanks Silverback. they are nice looking cards, and perhaps worth purchasing for that purpose. Nice to use as a tarot deck too :)

Cheers,

Darkwind
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Darkwind » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:11 am

Silverback wrote:Alea Tools sell a range of Magnetic Markers which could be used in place of poker chips. Possibly on the expensive side they do offer a rather wide range of colours that could be used to represent other conditions.

I have seen Alea's booth at GenCon. Their magnetic markers are really nice, and cn be used with miniatures to keep the condition chips with the miniature. But yeah, a little more expensive then finding cheap poker chips. Still worth it though.

NukeHavoc
Bystander
Bystander

Postby NukeHavoc » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:10 am

This PDF was a great idea -- I think I'll try it out in my next game. During Friday's session I could tell folks were having some trouble keeping track of the conditions of figures on the battlefield, and I saw a similar technique work well when playing Savage Worlds at GenCon.

Thanks!

Ken

Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Demongg » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:00 pm

Great Idea Silverback.

I'm going to try it out with my new M&M games. I've printed the Condition Card on card-stock as you suggested and bought and painted up plastic poker chips nicely (they're drying on my lunch break!)

My group doesn't use miniatures a bunch - but I like the idea of handing them out to players to set in front of them so that I can see their conditions.
It's also a great reminder tool for doing the subtraction modifiers.

I already use nice clay poker chips for Hero Points, this should be a nice add-on.

Maybe I'll take a picture of the set once done to post... Would folks like that?

I'll let you know how it works out.
thanks again
-kev-

"With great power..."

Silverback
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Silverback » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:57 am

I've sent this to XEI for hosting on E-Core Central and should be appearing in the very near future!

Now available from E-Core Central
Last edited by Silverback on Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Demongg » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:24 am

Silverback wrote:I've sent this to XEI for hosting on E-Core Central and should be appearing in the very near future!

FYI- I introduced the condition chips this past week with a brand new game I started. and WHOA BOY - the players love them. More than I ever thought they would, really...
I actually thought they might think "not another 'thing' to keep track of", but NO - they love them. We used them to great effect.

My original thought was to have them to place under minis (if we used them) but actually it was much better in practice to just have them on the table in front of the player.

I also make nice binders and such for my game gangs, so I also got them some neat pencil holder things to put in their binder and it works PERFECTLY to go from game to game. They all just popped the chips in there zipped pencil holder in their binder and we're good to go for next week.

While I don't worry about such things (if a player wants to cheat, let them is my opinion) but this system ALSO has the side-effect of never "forgetting" how many hits you had last game session.
And the physical reminder is great for combat situations and remembering your Toughness save negative modifier.

I need to get a camera to take a picture of my set-up. It works great. :)

Again - nice thinking SB.

-kev-
Last edited by Demongg on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-kev-

"With great power..."

Return to “Fan Resources”