Worm - Online serial supervillain novel

Have an M&M fan Web site? Find a great place to get superhero miniatures? Have miniature conversion tips or any other resources like that? Put 'em in here.
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Worm - Online serial supervillain novel

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:09 pm

The first chapter
The TVTropes page
The wiki

A completed serial novel following Taylor, aka Skitter, a parahuman with the ability to control insects who initially sets out to be a superhero, but instead finds herself falling into the role of a villain with all of the best intentions. Fair warning, there's a lot of violence, and the novel doesn't pull any punches with how horrific high school bullying can be. Unlikely to transition very well to an M&M setting because a lot of the powers specifically bypass all defenses, but one of the neater little touches is that powers are gained in moments of extreme stress with strong emotions with a bias toward negative emotions, which means that villains greatly outnumber heroes (and some of the villains are extraordinarily powerful). I'd actually love to run a villain campaign in a similar setting because it means that more petty crimes don't get stomped down because the heroes have to hold themselves in reserve for the really powerful villains. If you don't kill people and avoid excessive property damage, you're more likely to have the junior heroes or the police take care of you.

I'm only about halfway through, but I'm really enjoying it. I do not advise reading the wiki or the TV Tropes page because it's easy to completely spoil yourself.

Leliel
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Worm - Online serial supervillain novel

Postby Leliel » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:10 pm

Ah, so you have been bitten by the Worm too (ha ha, holy crap I can feel Clockblocker's disapproval of my sense of humor already. And he calls himself Clockblocker).

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Worm - Online serial supervillain novel

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:36 pm

I'm partway through Monarch, chapter 16, and my mind is thinking mechanics. Given the tendency for capes to wind up severely hurt fairly often, I feel like an unbalanced attack/defense PL shift would make sense, say that defensive PL lags by 4-5 levels for parahumans, except for conditional powers where someone has a much higher level of protection, but only in their limited field. So someone might hit PL 10 on offense and defense, but the defense is only versus heat or only versus physical impact. This would probably necessitate lowering the exotic save values as well (except versus specific areas). A lot of powers seem to stat up as No Save, but I feel like they could probably work just as well with it there being some sort of Counters Immunity or Counters Defensive Power Extra that lets people be much more effective against those with powers, but not necessarily that much better against the unpowered.

I do still feel that a setting like this, where villains are more common than heroes and there are greater threats about in the world, is an excellent place to play a "villain" team that focuses on heists like the Undersiders. Amoral, but loyal to each other, and attempting to keep down the collateral damage so as to not get stomped upon.

Return to “Fan Resources”