Digital COLORING (Photoshop & Painter TIPS)

Have an M&M fan Web site? Find a great place to get superhero miniatures? Have miniature conversion tips or any other resources like that? Put 'em in here.
Tipop
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Tipop » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:03 pm

Done. :-)
What you're talking about is an issue where common sense conflicts with the letter of the rules. In that case, common sense should win out. - Steve Kenson

Edymnion
Hero
Hero

Postby Edymnion » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:32 pm

Okay, for something a bit easier to follow and a bit more on-target for super heros, I do still have the original working file for my Strike Force picture.

So, lets look at the layers I used.

First up are the character lines. These are vector layers with the initial lines traced off of templates I found on the net (most of which are on Silverback's site, if memory serves). The generic templates were modified as I was tracing in places, and then the outlines for their costumes put in place.

Image Image

After those were finished, I moved down to the rastor layer beneath the vector layer. This is where I did the base coloring. Since working in layers lets you draw "underneath" the upper layers, it is essentially just a matter of staying within the lines. Here's those colors by themselves.

Image Image

It should be said that all of these layers are in the same image, but that each character gets their own layer for lines and for colors, so that if I change my mind on one, anything I change can't affect the other.

Anyway, after that, it was off to make another layer for the shadows. This one was another Rastor layer, set to Multiply mode, so that it would be translucent instead of opaque. Then, it was just a matter of plopping grays in the right places and hitting Blur to make it nice and blendy.

By now, the characters are essentially done.
Time to move on to the background! Both the concrete and the brick wall just happen to be tileable textures that came with Paintshop Pro, and since the characters are street level heroes, I used them to make the background. After that, I just added in some basic shading to give it a little depth.

Now I had a background, and I had the characters, but the characters were just sort of floating there without interacting with the background in any way. So, the way I fixed that was to copy the color layers for each character, combine them, then fill them with gray so they were just silloettes. Then, it was just some trial and error with the some of the rotation and skewing tools of the program to get them in the right bent shapes, and blurred it to make it blendy again.

Set that to Multiply so you could see the background texture through it, and then went in and added the team name logo and my signature in the corner, and its done!

Now, obviously that isn't even close to a full tutorial on how to do it, but I hope its at least enough to show how useful working in layers is, and how that just because each layer may look pretty crummy by itself, the finished pic is truely a sum of it's parts, and hopefully a little extra for good measure. ;)
Roleplay Online - Best PbP site on the net.
"But he that sows lies in the end shall not lack of a harvest, and soon he may rest from toil indeed while others reap and sow in his stead."
-J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion

Roman Virtue
Hero
Hero

Re: Digital COLORING (Photoshop & Painter TIPS)

Postby Roman Virtue » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:18 pm

Really appreciate the tutorials, I can't wait to get into them. Quick question though, what's a layer and how do you make them?
Legends Never Die!!!
Roman Virtues Facebook

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:08 pm

Roman Virtue wrote:Really appreciate the tutorials, I can't wait to get into them. Quick question though, what's a layer and how do you make them?

Did you ever see those see-through anatomy books? One sheet has the nervous system, another the circulatory system, etc.? You put them all together and get the final overall picture, but each sheet can be viewed independently - that's layers.

Most graphics programs support them (things like MS Paint don't), but each program would have its own implementation and ways to invoke them - you'd need to check the specific program's documentation.

Roman Virtue
Hero
Hero

Postby Roman Virtue » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:00 pm

I got layers, it was a joke... mostly. I have Photoshop, but there just SO many damn buttons there, it's kind of intimidating. I took a computer graphics class but they were using something so horribly old that while I understand the theories, with an up to date program, application is beyond me.

Do wouldn't happen to know of a decent "explain it to me like I'm 2 year old" tutorial, would you? Right now I feel like my mother must have when I first explained to her how to email. She had to keep telling me to slow down and go step-by-step. There was a lot of assumption on my part that she knew even the most basic ideas behind computer use; I had to explain how to click on "compose email", in addition to where it was and how to get there!
Legends Never Die!!!
Roman Virtues Facebook

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:42 pm

Ah - gotcha. Sorry - I get used to explaining things to my daughter and often go into lecture mode. ;)

I found this tutorial on Photoshop layers - I hope it helps.

Roman Virtue
Hero
Hero

Postby Roman Virtue » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:24 pm

Hey, that looks like it may be a great start for me, thanks a bunch Bombaatu!
Legends Never Die!!!
Roman Virtues Facebook

Return to “Fan Resources”