Using 2nd Edition archetypes on 2nd edition character sheet

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
tmk2273
Bystander
Bystander

Using 2nd Edition archetypes on 2nd edition character sheet

Post by tmk2273 »

I am starting a 2nd Edition M&MM game and I am using the instant heroes and other archetypes but I am having problems understanding how to place the information on the character sheet.
The formats do not seem to match up and I am using the second edition character sheet from the players handbook.
Are the archetypes supposed to be used straight from the book and not transferred to a character sheet?
Or are there any other types of character sheets I could use?
I appreciate any help.
always have a button labeled "DO NOT PRESS" in the villain's lair and have it drop a grenade when the heroes do press it. (It did say do not press)

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Using 2nd Edition archetypes on 2nd edition character sh

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Either transcribe the information onto a sheet, or provide the sheets from the book for your players.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

K.G. Carlson
Zealot
Zealot

Post by K.G. Carlson »

You can still get the M&M 2e pack for Hero Lab. Not only will it make creating those characters easier in general, the archetypes are already in as stock heroes; you'd just have to add the heroes' and players' names and any minor tweaks they want and you're ready to rock.
"More powerful than a locomotive...and about as subtle!"
--Joker

Say goodbye to gravity, say goodbye to death
Hello to eternity and live for every breath
-The Wicker Man, Iron Maiden

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Post by saint_matthew »

tmk2273 wrote:I am starting a 2nd Edition M&MM game and I am using the instant heroes and other archetypes but I am having problems understanding how to place the information on the character sheet.
The formats do not seem to match up and I am using the second edition character sheet from the players handbook.
Are the archetypes supposed to be used straight from the book and not transferred to a character sheet?
Or are there any other types of character sheets I could use?
I appreciate any help.
Lets see if i can help you out of this conundrum.

1. The archetypes in the 2E heroes handbook are full characters, written in the most space saving way possible.
2. If you know the system well enough you can back track the numbers & determine how they got them, but its not necessary to do so
3. You can print out the archetypes directly, let the players fill out some names & costume descriptions and just play

However i wouldn't if i were you. The Archetypes show what you CAN do with the system, not what you SHOULD do with the system. While the archetypes are alright for a one off game, if you intend on doing anything more i would suggest taking the time to make original characters. The archetypes are incredibly generic & really generic isn't really the feel you want to go for with a superhero game.

My suggestion for new players is to not get them to learn the system before creating their characters... The only person who really needs to know the system at the start is the GM. Instead, plonk down a pile of blank paper, some lead pencils & say "start creating." That way they will create, completely unhampered by the rules, or the desire to mini-max... An to be honest, its a lot of fun.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by kenseido »

saint_matthew wrote:My suggestion for new players is to not get them to learn the system before creating their characters... The only person who really needs to know the system at the start is the GM. Instead, plonk down a pile of blank paper, some lead pencils & say "start creating." That way they will create, completely unhampered by the rules, or the desire to mini-max... An to be honest, its a lot of fun.
Been there, done that. Not so much fun in my experience, and extremely time consuming. I think with new players, start with the archetypes from the book (or even better, pick up Instant Superheroes) for them to get a feel for the system and learn what they like and don't like - plus what is available.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Different strokes, man.

Personally, I didn't make anyone use archetypes the first time, or any time really. I ask them what they want to do, and we take it from there. For some players that know the system well enough, I let them have at it largely, only making little tweaks here and there. For other players I make their characters for them. Some are in between. BUT! I like to lay out what kind of game it is first, so that the players know what kind of characters belong.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆