Registration Turned ON! [Edited]

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
SassyRonin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registration Turned ON! [Edited]

Postby SassyRonin » Thu May 23, 2013 10:13 pm

Intern Emily has been bravely battling a tide of spammers the past few days, but she also has college-type stuff to do, and the rest of us don't have time for their spamming spam right now either. I've turned registration off.

There are Big Changes coming down the line for all our forums. More info on that soon.

[NOTE: New User Registration is back on for now. We'll see how it goes with the spammers. Big Changes are still on the horizon, but the horizon is closer now. --Evan]

Dragonblade
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: Registration Turned Off

Postby Dragonblade » Thu May 23, 2013 10:26 pm

You aren't going to lose forum data, right? There are some hugely valuable threads that have been created over the years covering everything from in-depth mathematical analysis of the rules, to an invaluable number of character builds in Roll Call that I rely on heavily for my campaign.

SassyRonin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SassyRonin » Thu May 23, 2013 11:52 pm

We should not lose anything.

Dragonblade wrote:You aren't going to lose forum data, right? There are some hugely valuable threads that have been created over the years covering everything from in-depth mathematical analysis of the rules, to an invaluable number of character builds in Roll Call that I rely on heavily for my campaign.

Dragonblade
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Dragonblade » Fri May 24, 2013 5:46 pm

SassyRonin wrote:We should not lose anything.

Dragonblade wrote:You aren't going to lose forum data, right? There are some hugely valuable threads that have been created over the years covering everything from in-depth mathematical analysis of the rules, to an invaluable number of character builds in Roll Call that I rely on heavily for my campaign.

Whew! :) Ok, good to know. I was getting nervous there for a moment.

Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Evolución » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:59 am

Do we have any way to register now then? I have invited a player to join a game of mine without knowing any of this. Is it possible for the admins to create an account for someone? How long is registration going to be down? Why the heck do spammers even exist? =P

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:11 am

What is the current system for registrations, because just looking at the "new registrations" & "who is online" section at the bottom of the main board, we clearly have a whole heap of dummy script-kiddy accounts. I'm not seeing any threads by them, so are we only letting people in by moderator confirmation now?
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Stormson
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Stormson » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:01 pm

saint_matthew wrote:What is the current system for registrations, because just looking at the "new registrations" & "who is online" section at the bottom of the main board, we clearly have a whole heap of dummy script-kiddy accounts. I'm not seeing any threads by them, so are we only letting people in by moderator confirmation now?

Not a moderator, but recently joined the forum, and I wasn't able to post for the first 4-5 days until a moderator reviewed my posts to make sure I wasn't spamming.

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:51 am

Awesome. I mean, I'm sure it's an inconvenience for legitimate new people, but the way we were being spammed in the past it's unfortunately a measure that had to be taken. This seems like a nice compromise to let new people in while keeping the boards spam free.
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:59 am

roguescribner wrote:Awesome. I mean, I'm sure it's an inconvenience for legitimate new people, but the way we were being spammed in the past it's unfortunately a measure that had to be taken. This seems like a nice compromise to let new people in while keeping the boards spam free.

Especially when you log in & you see the counter at the bottom say 71 people are in this thread & you look at the names & its the same collection of jibberish letters with exponentially larger numbers after it.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:50 am

It's Ultron secretly taking control for Avengers 2. :)

HurricaneEm
Super Awesome Intern. Of Dooooom!
Super Awesome Intern. Of Dooooom!

Postby HurricaneEm » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:21 am

Hey guys,

We are battling some seriously bad spammers right now. Our filters catch them so you don't actually see them, but that also means that I have to approve new user's posts for a few days until the systems have determined that they're not spammers. It's hard for me to weed through all the spam to find the new user's posts right now, so if you're concerned about your posts not going through send me a PM and I'll do what I can. There are plans to switch software soon, so hopefully that will help. If spam does get through, do me a favor and report it.

Thanks.
HE

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:05 pm

I just hope you guys don't implement whatever it is that RPG.net did, because apparently that thing blocks whatever comes from my ISP due to it being considered some sort of Bothost and/or Server Farm or honeypot or something like that.
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:08 pm

danelsan wrote:I just hope you guys don't implement whatever it is that RPG.net did, because apparently that thing blocks whatever comes from my ISP due to it being considered some sort of Bothost and/or Server Farm or honeypot or something like that.

I knew it, i knew you weren't really a person & that you were really a robot. I mean who ever heard of a person living in Brazil... Brazils not a real place... Its like Narnia, Oz, O & Canada. :wink:
-Isaac Asimov

SassyRonin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SassyRonin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:02 pm

Hey everybody,

I am really sorry about the registration thing. Registration is currently back on. (Tell your friends! Unless they're spammers.)

We are going to move everything to a new server and a new forum system. And by everything I mean these forums, the main Green Ronin forums, and those on True20.com. The ATT database is over 2 GB (nice posting over the years, you guys), so that complicates things. Please bear with us, and I'll try to step things up regarding the forum transfers.

Thank you!
Evan

Laughingcrow
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Laughingcrow » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:06 am

Dear admins,

Registration's currently not available - there is no register button, nor any sign of how to register. I am aware that there is some transition project currently going on, but is there any way to ask for accounts or have them approved?

Return to “General M&M”