Wild Cards

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
SeeleyOne
Henchman
Henchman

Wild Cards

Postby SeeleyOne » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:38 pm

I have seen some people comment on the Wild Cards SCARE sheets a few times, but only to say "I am not interested in that". I have to admit that I was wondering why they were writing things for Wild Cards, as I had not heard of it other than seeing it listed in the catalog as a PDF for 2nd edition.

I have not had too much luck with reviews, but I did find some on Amazon. It looks like it is right up my alley. I like super heroes, but I am not the biggest fan of the spandex and four-color style. I like it to lean at least a bit more towards realism.

Today I got the pdf and I ordered the first book. I just wish there was a more apparent fan base on the forums.
Last edited by SeeleyOne on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.

Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Wild Cards

Postby Black Mamba » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:44 pm

I would imagine Green Ronin still have the license and so want to get some use out of it.

Wild Cards suffers from a bit of bad timing due to it being one of the last things produced for 2E. I am sure there is a fan-base for the material, they are just not readily visible on the forum. The forums are quite quiet so you cannot really judge the fan-base based on who posts here.

I will be buying the new PDFs the next time I buy something. I am not a huge Wild Cards fan but I have read several of the books, and I am always looking for more good ideas. :)
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:34 pm

I wish there was more of a fandom for wild cards in general.

Anyways, I've read the old series up to Dead Man's hand. And I've read the Committee trilogy (Where the SCARE sheet guys are drawn from) and Fort freak.

But of course, no one cares about Wild Cards, all they care about is freaking song of Ice and freaking fire. I bet everyone would love Wild Cards if it had an award winning HBO series.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:40 am

Horsenhero ran two different Wild Cards games, Aces & 8's and Scare Tactics. Unfortunately, the combination of several crises in his life forcing a hiatus kind of killed both games.

I think it could make an interesting TV series also. If nothing else, it lends itself well to a serial setup where we look at different characters and their stories.

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:57 am

After around a quarter century, there've been a number of books, a few limited series comics, official RPGs for GURPS and M&M, tons of homebrew adaptions for other systems... And now it's the red-haired stepchild sitting next to ASoIaF/A Game of Thrones... And I mean no disrespect to either license, as I think they both have their merits... But I think the HBO series has helped give one a much broader fan base than the other.

Having read most of the non-recent books back in the early '90s, I generally enjoyed the series. I'm actually very happy to see that Wild Cards is getting any love from the public these days.

FuzzyBoots wrote:I think it could make an interesting TV series also. If nothing else, it lends itself well to a serial setup where we look at different characters and their stories.

I've heard rumors that HBO is looking at doing a Wild Cards tv series, but I'm more than a little skeptical. It would be kewl, though... :lol:

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:53 pm

Mr Mole wrote:I've heard rumors that HBO is looking at doing a Wild Cards tv series, but I'm more than a little skeptical. It would be kewl, though... :lol:

With the runaway hit that is Game of Thrones, it would be hard to imagine that rumor not existing, since it's probably the biggest other creative endeavor that GRRMartin is currently tied to.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:41 pm

I've heard rumors that HBO is looking at doing a Wild Cards tv series, but I'm more than a little skeptical. It would be kewl, though... :lol:

Yes. YES. EFFING YES!
Last edited by Crinos on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SeeleyOne
Henchman
Henchman

Postby SeeleyOne » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:04 am

My print version of Wild Cards came today. I was lucky and got it new for $9.95 (including shipping). As is the Green Ronin Standard, it is a nice book
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.

Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

JonL
M&M Developer
M&M Developer

Postby JonL » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:13 pm

SeeleyOne wrote:My print version of Wild Cards came today. I was lucky and got it new for $9.95 (including shipping). As is the Green Ronin Standard, it is a nice book

And did you download the free M&M3 conversion guide we posted a few weeks ago?

Glad you like Wild Cards. We'd certainly like to see something happen with the WC show and we think it's a great setting for a different type of M&M game.
Best regards,

Jon Leitheusser
M&M Line Developer
DC Adventures Line Developer
That's all I got.

SeeleyOne
Henchman
Henchman

Postby SeeleyOne » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:11 pm

I did, it was the Committee SCARE sheet. I bought the other two as well. Thanks :)

Rhen
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Rhen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:25 am

Wild Cards (via Gurps Supers) was the first super hero role playing game I ever played. The 2nd Edition version for M&M brought me to the game. :)

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:04 am

Wild Cards is pretty unusual in that it was largely inspired by a Superworld* campaign GM'd by GRRM. It was started by gamers. I find the books often reflect gamer sensibilities and wit (although not always so much). I also find the cooperative writing style mimics some aspects of cooperative storytelling/roleplaying and brings twists and perspectives to the stories that I think would be almost impossible for any single author to pull off.

There's a 1989 article in Roleplayer: The GURPS Newsleter, written by JJM that touches on the origins of Wild Cards: http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/Roleplayer/Roleplayer16/WildCards.html.

*Superworld is the creation of Steve Perrin (one of the all-time greats) and was published by Chaosium back in the early '80s.

Fred
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Fred » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:49 pm

Sorry for the necro.

Just posting to show there's love for Wild Cards. My sig has a link to my roll call thread about Wild Cards 3e conversions and original characters. It's been quiet for a while, but I plan to return to it in the near future (I just started reading Inside Straight).

The introduction also has links to the Wild Cards installments of my RPGnet column.

Tchau!
Webs of Magic: my second short story. Tell your friends, if you like it; tell you enemies, if you don't
Writing: Choices (fiction), The Sorcerer of Volupa (RPG)
Superseeds: my RPGnet column
Fred's Wild Cards 3e conversions & write-ups

Return to “General M&M”