Punching For Justice - A Mutants & Masterminds Podcast

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: Punching For Justice - A Mutants & Masterminds Podcast

Postby Kyle » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:02 am

New episode of Punching For Justice available at punchingforjustice.com and on iTunes!

This installment we talk about the Energy Weapons and Heavy Weapons Gadget Guides, create some characters with the new and improved Quick Start Character Generator, and...discuss 'Man of Steel'.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:02 am

Man, I gotta catch up. I got one more weekend trip coming up, then after that, we'll be completely broke and I'll be around the house more so I can listen to these in peace again. :)
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:25 pm

After fighting half the day with the hosting service, I've finally got the new episode of Punching For Justice up. Should be on iTunes shortly, and is available at punchingforjustice.com right now.

We talk about the Armour, Vehicles and Mecha Gadget Guides, and then discuss integrating skill challenges into a Mutants & Masterminds game.

Our chat at the end is about the first episode of the new Beware The Batman animated series.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:10 am

Kyle wrote:After fighting half the day with the hosting service,

Ah yes the villain known only as Hosting Service... An his ability to summon his unholy host of internet gremlins.

I just listened to the last LAST one & i had a funny idea for a one off game: Everyone generate characters specifically from the fast play character generator completely at random. you'd be playing the D-list team... Kind of "Defender for a Day" style story.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

JonL
M&M Developer
M&M Developer

Postby JonL » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:08 am

Kyle wrote:After fighting half the day with the hosting service, I've finally got the new episode of Punching For Justice up. Should be on iTunes shortly, and is available at punchingforjustice.com right now.

We talk about the Armour, Vehicles and Mecha Gadget Guides, and then discuss integrating skill challenges into a Mutants & Masterminds game.

Our chat at the end is about the first episode of the new Beware The Batman animated series.

Kyle, by the way, one of the characters you randomly generated should have had two rolls on its skill list, not one. I meant to tell you when I listed to the last podcast a while ago, but forgot. If you're going to play him, you should correct that.
Best regards,

Jon Leitheusser
M&M Line Developer
DC Adventures Line Developer
That's all I got.

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:15 am

Well, that's embarrassing. I struggled a lot more with those charts than a reasonably intelligent person should have. Which means I may have to reassess how I view myself.

Thanks for pointing that out, Jon. I'll add it to the list of things to mention in the next episode.

thaumonuclear
Comrade
Comrade

Postby thaumonuclear » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:06 am

Interesting discussion of skill challenges.
While for some things like chases they seem to make sense, abstracting away exactly which street you're running down or windows you're flying through, in others it makes me feel too far away from the action.

I'd rather sit and think about how all of the characters' stated actions add up, instead of just count successes and failures.

rickjthree
Groupie
Groupie

Postby rickjthree » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:01 am

To answer the question you guys had with regards to how Mecha are constructed.

"Mecha are acquired with equipment points, the same as vehicles and headquarters."

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:20 pm

rickjthree wrote:To answer the question you guys had with regards to how Mecha are constructed. 

"Mecha are acquired with equipment points, the same as vehicles and headquarters."

So are they built with the vehicle rules, then? I don't think most mecha would qualify as bases. And the examples given in the back of the book seem to be constructs.

And why necessarily equipment points? Equipment is generally reserved for common items. I could see mecha being equipment in a campaign centered around their use, but what about a more standard superhero campaign?

I'm not trying to be willfully obtuse, but I don't think the Gadget Guide really goes into enough detail about construction to be that useful.

Sketchpad
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Sketchpad » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:28 am

My take on Mecha is that they're Constructs that can use parts of the vehicle rules (such as Features). Basically, they're built with the construct rules in mind, but have no real skills of their own (as the pilot is the one with the skills) and are operated under the Vehicles skill.
In our M&M3e game, we use mecha as large power suits operated by certain law enforcement and terrorist agencies. Think some of the gear that you see Hydra, AIM or Cobra using from time to time. Really, there's not too much difference between some mecha and something like a tank. Mind you, the world that I run allows for armored costumes and some hi-tech gear to be bought with EP as well. I think it really depends on the GM and their application of their campaign setting (or, in FC/EC case, their interpretation of said setting).

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:39 am

rickjthree wrote:To answer the question you guys had with regards to how Mecha are constructed.

Except for when they aren't.

Yes i know thats how its done in the Mecha book, but honestly it all depends on how the GM plans on running his campaign & what kind of campaign it is. For instance you may be running a Sentai game in which your normal characters are PL 10, but when you summon your BFR's you are all at PL 15... Because the only time you fight in them is to fight ordinary sized monsters made huge.

As with many things in M&M, there are many ways to do it: M&M is a tool kit, more then a rule set.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:09 am

saint_matthew wrote:As with many things in M&M, there are many ways to do it: M&M is a tool kit, more then a rule set.

Right, and I think the point that I was [perhaps poorly] trying to make with my criticism of the Mecha Gadget Guide is that if that's part of the tool kit, than it seems like some of the tools are missing from it, and some of them have been poorly labeled.

And I'm willing to grant that my perception may have been negatively skewed by the proximity to the Vehicles Gadget Guide, which I maintain is excellent. I read Mecha in the same sitting right after Vehicles and it suffers by comparison.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:06 am

Kyle wrote:Right, and I think the point that I was [perhaps poorly] trying to make with my criticism of the Mecha Gadget Guide is that if that's part of the tool kit, than it seems like some of the tools are missing from it, and some of them have been poorly labeled.

I haven't got as far as your newest podcast yet, so i'm going to just assume you are spot on... Especially given that i'm also not collecting the Gadget Guides. The gadget guide is just something i can't even fake an interest in: I already have the DCA Heroes Handbook & a bookshelf full of comic books... What possible purpose would i have for the gadget guide, especially given we just had a years worth of power profiles (something else i personally have very little use for, yet still more then i do for the gadget guides).
-Isaac Asimov

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:33 pm

After far too long a delay, Episode 005 of our Emerald City Knights campaign is now up at punchingforjustice.com and iTunes! Enjoy!

Psistrike
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Psistrike » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:16 pm

Fun episode and nice banter from everyone. Although I should note that Toughness save which Sword Emperor failed by 12 would be 3 degrees, not 2. So he would have been staggered.

Return to “General M&M”