Damaging objects

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Cosmic Joe
Bystander
Bystander

Damaging objects

Postby Cosmic Joe » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:36 am

1.The extra penetrating when used on normal objects such as say a wall or so seems to have no use unless that wall has the impervious extra. So I was thinking of using a house rule that would make it so if your attack has penetrating on it when attacking said wall, for example, it would be treated as always having base toughness save. Even if the object was thick enough to gain additional toughness increase. I think this is a good way to show how something like Wolverine's claws go through steel like butter but really don't do more damage then a normal blade of it's size. Thoughts on this?

2. Large objects. Should characters be able to attack a foot by foot section or what have you of a large object to take out part of it vs needing to damage the whole thing? So in this case say one of my players has a blast and wants to cute out a section of a mountain. A mountain by the rules would have a hell of toughness save because of it's size. So should they be able to just target the amount they want? If so what should be the minimum size they should be allowed to attack?

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Damaging objects

Postby Greyman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:54 am

Cosmic Joe wrote:1.The extra penetrating when used on normal objects such as say a wall or so seems to have no use unless that wall has the impervious extra. So I was thinking of using a house rule that would make it so if your attack has penetrating on it when attacking said wall, for example, it would be treated as always having base toughness save. Even if the object was thick enough to gain additional toughness increase. I think this is a good way to show how something like Wolverine's claws go through steel like butter but really don't do more damage then a normal blade of it's size. Thoughts on this?
Well, its true that Penetrating is next to pointless on normal inanimate objects. However, lairs and holding cells can ofttimes use super alloys, and Create can have the Impervious modifier attached.

That said, characters are often given Penetrating on Damage when the concept really calls for being able to use alternate effects/power stunts like Enhanced Weapon Break, Movement (Wall Crawl), Penetrating Burrowing, or Transform (Stuff into Scraps). Well, at least the extra power points do help with that.
Cosmic Joe wrote:2. Large objects. Should characters be able to attack a foot by foot section or what have you of a large object to take out part of it vs needing to damage the whole thing? So in this case say one of my players has a blast and wants to cute out a section of a mountain. A mountain by the rules would have a hell of toughness save because of it's size. So should they be able to just target the amount they want? If so what should be the minimum size they should be allowed to attack?
It depends on how much destruction they're really aiming for.

If they just want to break or destroy a section of rock, that's all they have to attack. However, if they're trying to knock down a "load bearing rock" to start a landslide or something, they do have to attack the entire escarpment; though passing an Expertise skill challenge could provide Circumstantial bonuses to make it easier.

While the point of demolitions is to apply just enough effort to destroy small sections that cause a cascade of destruction, the heroes can't just hack apart random bricks in order to intentionally* knock down a whole house. If they want to destroy a whole thing, they have to work at it; one way or another.

Though do consider if power stunting effects like Create, Transform, Burrowing, or whatever could achieve whatever they're trying to accomplish. Sometimes "destroying a section of the mountain" is just a descriptor of a wicked cool stunt; and the Rule of Cool trumps all.

[* You can have it happen to them accidentally though.]

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:47 am

As far as the penetrating, a lot of objects are also defenseless, which means characters can use finishing attack on them. This grants a character +5 damage, so someone with an 8 str would be dc 28 against a door, or wall, or created dome, and so on.

Hellhound
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Hellhound » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:38 pm

Addition to the above, If an character’s intention is to bend, break or destroy an object, she only needs 2 degrees of failure on the Toughness check breaking the object, while 3 or more degrees of failure means the object is in fact destroyed.

So if this Wolverine hits a Steel Wall of 1 foot of thickness (Toughness 12) with a finish attack he will DC 27 against that wall, in a 9 or less in the roll he will break the wall.

The penetrating extra is just for damage an impervious toughness but I as a GM sometimes I allow a +1 damage to objects or characters, because I find it logical that if someone has the ability to cause harm to the character that others regularly may not, he be able to cause greater damage to those without a hardness in his defense.
The treachery of demons is nothing compared to the betrayal of an angel.

Return to “General M&M”