Trip question?

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Cosmic Joe
Bystander
Bystander

Trip question?

Postby Cosmic Joe » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:50 pm

How does the trip action interact with size growth? At what point do you say "no your normal sized guy can not trip the 60' man."

Shadowchaser
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Re: Trip question?

Postby Shadowchaser » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:07 pm

As the "Trip" action can describe a lot of different actions with the result of making the target fall prone, it really doesn't have to be limited. The Flash could run around Giganta's feet, causing a shockwave that makes her lose her footing, for example. That can be a trip action.

It doesn't have to be "my character sticks his foot out and trips the other guy."

It has game mechanics that are mostly connected to that idea, but they can easily reflect other interactions.
James Dawsey, Owner and Publisher of Vigilance Press

Look for Vigilance Press on RPGNow.com and Drive-Thru RPG!

Or check out our website for free previews and podcast links!
http://www.vigilancepress.com/

Hellhound
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Hellhound » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:51 am

Shadowchaser wrote:As the "Trip" action can describe a lot of different actions with the result of making the target fall prone, it really doesn't have to be limited. The Flash could run around Giganta's feet, causing a shockwave that makes her lose her footing, for example. That can be a trip action.

It doesn't have to be "my character sticks his foot out and trips the other guy."

It has game mechanics that are mostly connected to that idea, but they can easily reflect other interactions.

+1 on this
The treachery of demons is nothing compared to the betrayal of an angel.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:53 am

That said, I think there's a point to be made for larger size/weight giving more stability. The way 2E did it was that the Trip action took the size penalties (which I think scaled in the opposite direction of the attack/defense penalties) and the Trip power (which would, I supposed, be an Affliction now) didn't.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:17 am

Trip is resistible by STR (more precisely, Athletics, which is an untrained skill normally equal to STR) and big characters usually have high STR, so big guys are naturally more resistant to Tripping, but not ever completely immune.

I do a "custom Growth" where you buy all the components of Growth separately (STR, STA, Elongation for height/reach, etc) and add Increased Mass as a ranked Feature that helps resist things like trips and knockback. You can also think of Increased Mass as a form of STR Limited to Resisting Movement Attacks (including Trips) for the same cost.

You can also buy Immunity to Movement Effects (Half or Full) as part of your Growth power and definitely make yourself immune to trips if that fits your concept.

In summary, there's nothing in 3e that makes Growth inherently immune to trips, but it's easily to make them more resistant.

EDIT -
Cosmic Joe wrote:At what point do you say "no your normal sized guy can not trip the 60' man."

Using standard Growth, a 60' man is going to have at least STR 12, so he's going to oppose Trip attacks with d20+12 (assuming you don't also houserule for size/mass). Unless the tripper has a high Ath or Acro skill as well, it's likely the giant will resist. Yes, this does allow martial artist types with high Acro to knock down giants.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:31 am

Growth does increase Strength, which in turn will contribute to the Athletics roll the character being tripped will need to make as part of an opposed check. Unless the character performing the trip has the Improved Trip advantage, of course.

There was an issue of AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE, where Taskmaster was brought in to start training Initiative recruits combat skills. One of the new recruits was the Eric O'Grady Ant-Man, who was attacked by Stature for casting a negative light on her father's legacy. They both grew huge to have a punch-up, as did Hank Pym to try and intervene. Taskmaster used the opportunity to demonstrate that large characters have obvious weak spots, throwing his shield Captain America style to bounce off the Achilles tendons of all three characters, causing them to fall to their knees.

Hellhound
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Hellhound » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:36 pm

JDRook wrote:Using standard Growth, a 60' man is going to have at least STR 12, so he's going to oppose Trip attacks with d20+12 (assuming you don't also houserule for size/mass). Unless the tripper has a high Ath or Acro skill as well, it's likely the giant will resist. Yes, this does allow martial artist types with high Acro to knock down giants.

...and it means also he has -12 from Parry and Dodge defenses. The Growth character will have d20+12 + any rank in Athletics he has to resist the trip, unless the attacker has Improved Trip, so the attacker choose if the defender use acrobatic or athletics to evade the trip.

As the they said: "The bigger they are, the harder they fall"
The treachery of demons is nothing compared to the betrayal of an angel.

Return to “General M&M”