Is this Move Object power legal?

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Wheeljack
Bystander
Bystander

Is this Move Object power legal?

Postby Wheeljack » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:56 am

I had an idea for a shockwave or whirlwind power that hurls people away, violently enough to do damage, like so...

Area Burst Damaging Move Object 10, Close, only to push directly away -1. 20 CP.

It seems OK on the surface. Close isn't recommended for Move Object, but having an area effect that can't be moved seems to work OK with it. But can one take the "limited direction" if one is also using Damaging, since the Move Object is doing more than damage? It's the same cost for Close Damage Area Burst, but gives the added effect of throwing an average 200 lb person... one mile away. Oh, my.

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Is this Move Object power legal?

Postby Greyman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:15 am

Technically no. Damaging allows Move Object to apply damage through "punching" or grab actions, but if you limit the action to Fling Away, it cannot do either.

The Strength Power profile suggestion for a Massive Knockback is to link it to Strength Damage.
Power Profile wrote:Massive Knockback: Move Object #, Close Range, Limited to Flinging Targets Away, Linked to Strength Damage • 1 point per 2 ranks
That only affects the person you punch. For you area attack to work, you'd have to link to an area strike. Something like this:
Greyman wrote:Shockwave Knockback: Move Object #, Burst Area, Close Range, Limited to Flinging Targets Away, Linked to Shockwave Strike • 1 point per ranks

Shockwave Strike: Burst Area on Strength Damage • 1 point per Strength rank

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:35 am

I believe that Damaging is a bit more either/or than additive. Damaging lets you punch someone instead of pushing them, and allows you to inflict damage in a grapple. Theoretically, you could build it as an AP, but there are side benefits such as being able to maintain the grapple while squeezing.

As Greyman has pointed out, what you're attempting to do is more of a Linked effect.

Squirrelly-sama
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Squirrelly-sama » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:46 pm

If the Move object already knocks them away is there any need for the knockback? It'd be better to link it to a burst area damage effect, sure it'd be more expensive but it's not limited to your strength. On that note I know that limited to Towards/Away is a 1p/r flaw so wouldn't limited to just Away be a 2p/r flaw?

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:11 pm

Squirrelly-sama wrote:On that note I know that limited to Towards/Away is a 1p/r flaw so wouldn't limited to just Away be a 2p/r flaw?

In theory, but in practice I don't think the loss of functionality would be significantly worse than just towards/away, at least not enough to justify that much of a point break. GM call.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Nillaman » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:24 pm

I got one. Saw this in a Power Profile or Gadget Guide, I think.

Move Object X, Burst Area, Limited to Down. One of the uses for this was to force a Grapple Check on anyone caught within the Effect. And the Grapple, if successful, could be maintained and improved as a Free Action by your character on anyone who'd failed their resistance checks.

The potential problem here is that it also seem to imply your character was not subject to the conditions of a normal Grapple. It honestly feels like a cheaper version of the Snare power.

Edit: It's the Gravity Field effect from the Gravity Power Profile. It does note that the effect can't inflict Damage like a normal Grapple, unless you add the Damaging modifier to the power.
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.

Return to “General M&M”