Questions from someone new to M&M 3E

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Wolfx
Bystander
Bystander

Questions from someone new to M&M 3E

Postby Wolfx » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:53 pm

I just bought all the 3E PDFs for M&M (I think), but I was wondering if I could a list of the 3E books currently available and a list of 2E books that would be good buys as well.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I didn't see one dedicated to M&M 3E.

Any help is appreciated

Aric

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Questions from someone new to M&M 3E

Postby Monolith » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:30 pm

To my mind the big 3 books for M&M 3e for newbs are the Deluxe Core book, the Power Profiles, and the Threat Report. With those 3 books you have the rules, a huge supply of sample powers, and a good supply of foes to fight until you can start making some of your own.

As far as the rest of the 3e line of books you have the gm's guide, the supernatural sourcebook, and emerald city for the M&M line, and you have the 4 dc license books. As far as actual books they really haven't published a lot over the last 4 years.

There are a lot of good 2e books, but it really depends on what you're interested in; and some of the 2e books are being made into 3e versions, like freedom city and hero high.

Wolfx
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Wolfx » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:48 pm

At least I know I have the important 3 and the GM guide. Are the Gadget Guides a good buy since they appear to be similar to the Power Profiles? As for the 2E books, I was mainly wondering about Freedom City book(s) and Worlds of Freedom. I was also wondering about the Archtype PDFs?

Thanks for your help

Aric

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:54 pm

I like the gadget guides, and they are very similar to the power profiles, but I would hold off and buy the consolidated pdf when it comes out later this year. You will end up getting them all in a pdf for $10-$12.00 then.

The 2e archetypes won't really help you with 3e. I would skip them.

If you want 2e books you should probably focus on the content books: freedom city, agents of freedom, worlds of freedom, and so on. I also enjoyed hero high and lockdown. They're broad enough to use the content in any game.

Wolfx
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Wolfx » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:59 pm

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions

Aric

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:00 am

If you're going full electronic, I'd also recommend taking a look at HeroLab. I find it to be a great tool for character creation and management, and most of the rules are built right in. Try the demo first, it does almost everything except save or print stuff, so you can theoretically use it for doing the math for you for free before writing a character out by hand. If you like it, it's $30 for the base interface plus the M&M3e module license, $20 for each additional license.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Wolfx
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Wolfx » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:29 pm

JDRook wrote:If you're going full electronic, I'd also recommend taking a look at HeroLab. I find it to be a great tool for character creation and management, and most of the rules are built right in. Try the demo first, it does almost everything except save or print stuff, so you can theoretically use it for doing the math for you for free before writing a character out by hand. If you like it, it's $30 for the base interface plus the M&M3e module license, $20 for each additional license.

I agree completely about the usefulness of HeroLab. I have been using it with my Pathfinder and Shadowrun games and snatched up the M&M 3E files as soon as I decided I was going to run it. Now I just have to download all .por files that came with my PDFs.

anji_kenshin
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby anji_kenshin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:58 pm

I had a 3e question but I didn't think it was worth making a new thread, hope you don't mind me jumping in.

1) When a character makes a toughness save (1d20 + Toughness Vs. DC: Damage/Ability Rank +15) and beats the DC, I wanted to confirm that nothing happens.

We played some mock battles and as we understood it nothing happened, my players were a little frustrated when they would land these amazing rolls for attack for the villains were just shrugging it off. Are we doing that correctly?

2) If a character with a move ability, like a Jet Pack, is right in front of another person fighting in Melee range, is there a special roll off needed to get away from them?
Check out my Character Thread
Join my Create-a-Contest

digitalangel
Groupie
Groupie

Postby digitalangel » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:33 pm

anji_kenshin wrote:I had a 3e question but I didn't think it was worth making a new thread, hope you don't mind me jumping in.

1) When a character makes a toughness save (1d20 + Toughness Vs. DC: Damage/Ability Rank +15) and beats the DC, I wanted to confirm that nothing happens.

We played some mock battles and as we understood it nothing happened, my players were a little frustrated when they would land these amazing rolls for attack for the villains were just shrugging it off. Are we doing that correctly?

2) If a character with a move ability, like a Jet Pack, is right in front of another person fighting in Melee range, is there a special roll off needed to get away from them?

1: If d20 + toughness meets or beats the DC of the damage (damage rank + 15) then nothing happens. This is the equivalent in other systems of not beating an opponents armor rating or of not doing more damage than your opponents damage deduction.

2: Unless the character is the victim of an effect such as a snare ,grab, or move object effect then no special moves are needed to move away from an opponent.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:39 pm

anji_kenshin wrote:1) When a character makes a toughness save (1d20 + Toughness Vs. DC: Damage/Ability Rank +15) and beats the DC, I wanted to confirm that nothing happens.

Yeah, that's how it works. The attack rolls an attack check targeting a defense, and if it hits then the defender rolls a resistance check against the effect. If you do the math, characters at the same PL are generally pretty evenly matched, so there can be quite a bit of "shrugging off". That's actually one of the reasons resisting Damage is vs rank +15 and not rank +10; that first degree -1 to Toughness becomes more likely to hit and wear down the target, but still keeps the rest of it pretty even. (Incidentally, the +15 is only for Damage. All other Effects resist at +10.)

As you get more used to the system, you'll start to use tricks like tradeoff maneuvers, feints and team attacks to help sway battles in your favour, but straight on evenly matched slugfests are often at the mercy of the dice. It's sort of fits genre in that heroes who are evenly matched or even outclassed by villains either have to get lucky or strategic to pull ahead. You might want to warm up with small groups of lower level opponents, possibly using the Minion rules, if you want to get a feel for how effective your character can be in battle.

anji_kenshin wrote:2) If a character with a move ability, like a Jet Pack, is right in front of another person fighting in Melee range, is there a special roll off needed to get away from them?

Unless one is actually grabbing the other, no. There's no "attacks of opportunity" or "zones of control" in M&M3e. As long as there's no Condition on you limiting your movement (including Conditions resulting from an Affliction or a Grab attack) you can move anywhere within range. This makes something like a few ranks in any movement power and the Move-By Attack Advantage very useful against slow targets with no ranged attacks, since you can move in, hit the target, and move away with remaining distance. Without M-BA, you have to move and attack, or attack and move, or even move twice, but M-BA is the only way you can split up your move distance.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:25 pm

JDRook wrote:This makes something like a few ranks in any movement power and the Move-By Attack Advantage very useful against slow targets with no ranged attacks, since you can move in, hit the target, and move away with remaining distance. Without M-BA, you have to move and attack, or attack and move, or even move twice, but M-BA is the only way you can split up your move distance.

And once you have seen that tactic in action, you will learn to appreciate the Ready action, which will allow you prepare an attack that gets triggered outside of your turn, when the moving character approaches or tries to attack you. If the opponent is smart and keeps you guessing if he will attack you or not, though, you can waste quite a few action like this...
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

Return to “General M&M”