MnM 3e Magic tarot deck, help please.

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Necroluna
Bystander
Bystander

MnM 3e Magic tarot deck, help please.

Postby Necroluna » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:27 am

Hello, I'm sorry if I'm not posting this correctly, but I'm relatively new to 3e and am trying (and failing)
to transcribe a device from 2e into 3e. This particular device a magical deck of tarot cards, which I know sounds redundant but bear with me. Each card had a particular ability and replaced itself into the deck when used. Because the character was effectively just dawing from the top of the deck, these cards were random unless the character took a full round action to search for the desired card. The orignal build was an easily removed device at rank 10 applied to Magic with a series of 16 dynamic alternate powers and a custom drawback to reflect the random nature of the deck"Luck of the draw(Roll a d20 to select a power)." A roll of 1 resulted in the cards getting stuck togther and the character being unable to use any powers. A roll of 10 gave the GM choice over what power the character would draw. A roll of twenty represented a lucky draw where the character got exactly the power they wanted. The other numbers were randomly assigned to the powers upon creation, with the odd man out being a reroll. In one example,12 of the 17 powers were Alternate Forms, 1 was an Unreliable (uses) Seal, 1 was a Blast, 1 was a group of Super Senses( Postcognition, Precogniton, Detect Weakness+Assessment) to represent a tarot reading, and 1 was a Summon Monsters.

Mister B
Bystander
Bystander

Re: MnM 3e Magic tarot deck, help please.

Postby Mister B » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:33 pm

Hi there! I'll try and Answer your question.
Necroluna wrote:Hello, I'm sorry if I'm not posting this correctly, but I'm relatively new to 3e and am trying (and failing)
to transcribe a device from 2e into 3e. This particular device a magical deck of tarot cards, which I know sounds redundant but bear with me. Each card had a particular ability and replaced itself into the deck when used. Because the character was effectively just dawing from the top of the deck, these cards were random unless the character took a full round action to search for the desired card. The orignal build was an easily removed device at rank 10 applied to Magic with a series of 16 dynamic alternate powers and a custom drawback to reflect the random nature of the deck"Luck of the draw(Roll a d20 to select a power)." A roll of 1 resulted in the cards getting stuck togther and the character being unable to use any powers. A roll of 10 gave the GM choice over what power the character would draw. A roll of twenty represented a lucky draw where the character got exactly the power they wanted. The other numbers were randomly assigned to the powers upon creation, with the odd man out being a reroll. In one example,12 of the 17 powers were Alternate Forms, 1 was an Unreliable (uses) Seal, 1 was a Blast, 1 was a group of Super Senses( Postcognition, Precogniton, Detect Weakness+Assessment) to represent a tarot reading, and 1 was a Summon Monsters.

For the most part everything you got there can be transferred over nicely. Perhaps the key way of going about this can be several. But let's assume your doing the array.

Magic Tarot Deck (Array of powers worth xx points, + 17 alternate effects (so you have 18 possible effects, plus the effects of a natural 1 or 2 on the Custom Draw flaw listed); Feature: Searching Deck (1 or 2 pts), Removable -2 "for being a deck of cards that can be taken away; subtracts -2 pts to the cost for every 5 points spent", Custom Random Draw "which sounds like a -1 Modifier")

Searching for a card sound more like a feature, considering the power frame work so far. So that will a +1 pt feature ( A full action to search), 2 pts if it only takes a move action to search)

The cost of the array, might work something like this..
I want my Tarot Deck to have a 20 pt array for the powers within. Thats 20 pts spent in the array. The Custom "Random Draw" Reduces this to 10. Add in the cost of the alternate effects, plus the searching feature makes this cost 29 pp. Now subtract 2 points for every 5 pts.. or in this case 5 x 2. Making the full cost of the tarot deck 19, before adding in searching

Hellhound
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Hellhound » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:57 pm

Maybe you can take a look to the Gadget Guide Magic, I guess there is an item wich is a Tarot
The treachery of demons is nothing compared to the betrayal of an angel.

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:14 pm

Hellhound wrote:Maybe you can take a look to the Gadget Guide Magic, I guess there is an item which is a Tarot
There's the Arcana of Summoning; a deck of summon heroic avatar cards. Not quite what the OP wanted, and the guide does not give any sample summons.

legend
Superhero
Superhero

Postby legend » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:52 pm

The Uncontrolled flaw works best in this case:

Variable X, Move Action, Uncontrolled, Easily Removable

Return to “General M&M”