Looking for lists of Non-American Comics/Superheroes

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
kingk
Cohort
Cohort

Looking for lists of Non-American Comics/Superheroes

Postby kingk » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:55 pm

Inspired by this column detailing giving a country a superheroic history based on it's own published characters, I'm looking to do the same for my own settings. I know I can Google and search Wikipedia myself, but I also wanted to ask the crowd here at the Think Tank if they know any non-American superheroes or comic book characters worth using or basing expies off of? For the record, I'm looking for examples like Darna, but also non-superhero comics characters like Tintin, since the latter can provide a pulp-esque flavor I'm also fond of. I assume that the Atlas of Earth-Prime will be providing plenty of useful Freedomverse characters, but I'm looking for the originals to create my own homages.

Hellhound
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Looking for lists of Non-American Comics/Superheroes

Postby Hellhound » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:12 pm

I suggest to you Kaliman" wich is a comic hero from México.

The treachery of demons is nothing compared to the betrayal of an angel.

HustlerOne
Zealot
Zealot

Postby HustlerOne » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:01 pm

There's also Captain Barbell a captain marvel expy who is also created by the creator of Darna.
The only other famous foreign comic I know of is the french Asterix.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:19 pm

Oh in that case i'll go with Japan. now at first glance these two don't look all that superheroish, but I put analogues for both into my mainstream superhero universe without having to change any of the underlying aspects & they fit the genre perfectly.

Cutie Honey (Live action show): A Japanese school girl with the ability to transform into a leather costumed superheroine, who fights the evil criminal cabal known as Panther Claw, with the help of a device that transmutes practically anything... An then it turns out that she has a mysterious past & a pair of colour co-ordinated "sisters" who also have special powers & a mysterious past.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutie_Honey:_The_Live
Example of the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC3Xw5Ank-Q

Guyver: An alien battle suit, a secret identity, a plucky sidekick, an alien invasion, super powered fights on the roof tops over Tokyo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guyver ... ster_Armor
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:00 pm

Well, its not based off of any single country, but there's always The 99. A team of Islamic themed super heroes. The team is pretty cosmopolitan, but most of the members come from Middle Eastern countries.And the Publisher is based in Kuwait.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:12 am

Crinos wrote:And the Publisher is based in Kuwait.

Where there is an amusement park based on the 99.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:34 am

Oh, they finally got that open huh? Good for them.

I'm actually not entirely sure if they are still publishing the comic. The last issue of it came out a few months ago, and it seemed to end on a rather final note (Well not really, but there was a big spread showing all of the 99 introduced so far who were on the team).

Which would be a shame if it did end, it may not have been the best comic I ever read, but it was a fun little thing with interesting characters.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:19 am

Crinos wrote:Oh, they finally got that open huh? Good for them.

I'm actually not entirely sure if they are still publishing the comic. The last issue of it came out a few months ago, and it seemed to end on a rather final note (Well not really, but there was a big spread showing all of the 99 introduced so far who were on the team).

Which would be a shame if it did end, it may not have been the best comic I ever read, but it was a fun little thing with interesting characters.

Actually I'm more disappointed in the fact that its circulation is so low outside of the area that I can't get a copy of it in English without resorting to comixology, something I will not do (due to my moral stance on the DRM model of digital media currently being used). Heck its not even pirate-able, which is really saying something.
-Isaac Asimov

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:43 am

saint_matthew wrote:
Crinos wrote:Oh, they finally got that open huh? Good for them.

Actually I'm more disappointed in the fact that its circulation is so low outside of the area that I can't get a copy of it in English without resorting to comixology, something I will not do (due to my moral stance on the DRM model of digital media currently being used). Heck its not even pirate-able, which is really saying something.

You can order the books directly from their website I think (Or you could, that may have changed.)

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:59 pm

Oooh! A chance to break out my copy of The Leather Nun and other incredibly strange comics, a quick guide to some really weird characters. I keep intending to do something with it but never do..

Super Shamou (Inuit, very different cultural standards but still technically US)- looks like a paragon, was used in comics and movies to try to lead kids away from sniffing glue, evidently a major social problem when it was published.

Nembo Kid (Italian)- a knock off Superman muted for local tastes and morals

La Donna Ragna (Italian) a saucier Spiderwoman

Octoborina- published as a intellectual rebellion in Communist Russia, really a doctoring of an adventure series from the Czech republic. David Bowie was even going to do a movie based on her.

Oh so many really off beat characters in the book.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:14 pm

Oooh and I really wanted do something with Bazooka Jules (British).

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:32 pm

Also, although its not from different countries, a few years ago DC did a mini event called "Planet DC", which featured heroes from different countries teaming up with DC mainline heroes in their annuals.

In the three issues I have collected thusfar we have...

*Jannissary: A mystic and weapon wielder from Turkey who teamed up with the JLA to fight an army of Jinn.

*Iman, El Muerto and Arcata: A trio of Mexican heroes who teamed up with Superman to fight environmentalist cultists. Iman was an armor suit wearer, El Muerto was an immortal Zombie, and Arcata was... I don't think they ever fully defined her powers, I think she teleports through shadows, an has a penchant for quoting famous philosophers.

Salamanca and a whole team of heroes from Argentina: A magic user from Argentina whose apparently on par with Zatanna. The flash saved her and her teammates from an evil mystic and his army of Peteys (A race of killed puffballs which are supposedly from Argentinian folklore, but I can't find a trace of them online). Salamanca had an entire team consisting of seven other characters (Including a winged bird guy, a guy in a jaguar costume, and a horse man.) But they didn't really do anything in the planet DC story (I don't think they were even named), and IIRC they were killed off later.... and it turns out I was wrong, as they do all get named and have powers. and it seems like they weren't killed off, must have been thinking of some other people.

Other nations featured in the Planet DC event include Tunsia, Japan, England, Greece, and India.

Ramsey
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Ramsey » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:14 am

saint_matthew wrote:Oh in that case i'll go with Japan. now at first glance these two don't look all that superheroish, but I put analogues for both into my mainstream superhero universe without having to change any of the underlying aspects & they fit the genre perfectly.

Well, if you're on the subject of Japan, don't forget about one of the classics: Astro Boy!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astro_Boy

Tokusatsu heroes like Kamen Rider, Ultraman and Super Sentai (better known in the west as the Power Rangers) also spring to mind.

Here in Belgium, there's a very long running comic series called Suske & Wiske, which is called Spike & Suzy in English I believe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_and_Suzy
While the two titular character are pretty average kids who happen to regularly go on all sorts of crazy adventures (often through time) several of the recurring side characters wouldn't feel out of place in a superhero story.

The first one to spring to mind is Jerom, who's basically a thawed-out caveman with super strength. In some stories his power level's pretty close to golden age Superman as he can deflect bullets with his chest and run at superhuman speeds. He even had his own comic for a while in which he became an actual superhero, calling himself the Golden Stuntman. In this incarnation he also had a flying motorcycle.

Another character that would fit into a superhero story is Professor Barabas, who's basically a genius inventor. He's the one who created the time-machine that the two kids regularly use to travel through time.

And since you brought up Tintin, I can also recommend the series Spirou and Fantasio. It's a comic about two journalists who travel around the world and get into all kinds of adventures. Especially the first comics are very pulp-like. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirou_et_Fantasio

I know you're primarily looking for superheroes, but a recurring bad guy in the series, by the name of Zorglub, would make a great supervillain if you ask me. He's an evil genius who rules his own country with an iron fist and has an army of super-loyal, brainwashed soldiers that all talk backwards.
He's one of my favorite characters in the series and a pretty good over the top evil dictator/mad scientist character.

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:24 am

for a comprehensive list, try International Hero, a website dedicated to this thread's very purpose
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

Beleriphon
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Beleriphon » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:32 am

Ramsey wrote:
saint_matthew wrote:I know you're primarily looking for superheroes, but a recurring bad guy in the series, by the name of Zorglub, would make a great supervillain if you ask me. He's an evil genius who rules his own country with an iron fist and has an army of super-loyal, brainwashed soldiers that all talk backwards.
He's one of my favorite characters in the series and a pretty good over the top evil dictator/mad scientist character.

He's Doctor Doom in a three piece suit? I can dig that.

Return to “General M&M”