Sense question (first time poster...)

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Delthrien
Bystander
Bystander

Sense question (first time poster...)

Postby Delthrien » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:05 am

(... and an M&M 3e noob to boot... be gentle :) )

I'm working on a telekinetic-type character... The character is blind, but has a special sense (I'm calling it "kinesthetic awareness") that allows him to sense physical objects/textures in his vicinity.

I'm thinking of doing it as an enhanced tactile sense (which is already accurate and has a radius). I *think* I'd need to add ranged and acute in order to allow it to function well enough to target something. Alas, I'm not quite sure how to handle things that might be concealed to a "sighted" character, but visible to this one... like someone in a fog bank/smoke cloud... or maybe invisible...

Help?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Sense question (first time poster...)

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:14 am

Ranged and Acute is pretty much all you need. Due to its nature, there are things that Tactile will speak up that Sight cannot, such as someone hidden in a fog bank. On the flip side, there are things you won't "see" such as Insubstantial enemies. Generally, such characters also have a Complication that they also lack the ability to distinguish color and the like, which means you might be at a disadvantage if you need to read a computer screen or a document.

Hellhound
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Hellhound » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Delthrien wrote:
I'm thinking of doing it as an enhanced tactile sense (which is already accurate and has a radius). I *think* I'd need to add ranged and acute in order to allow it to function well enough to target something. Alas, I'm not quite sure how to handle things that might be concealed to a "sighted" character, but visible to this one... like someone in a fog bank/smoke cloud... or maybe invisible...

Help?

If you use the range and acute sense for touch your character will can sense anything in a 9 feet radius, if he wants to "touch" something else away he will have a -1 penalty for every 10 feet.

I think he can sense someone in a fog bank or smoke cloud, also there´s no problem with the invisible character because the concealment power says that you can´t concealment from touch.

As Fuzzyboots says, the problem will be with colors, letters, signs and anything written also with Insubstancial characters.

Another possibility would be the Spatial Awareness power for the Sensory Powers in the Power Profiles series.

Senses 4 (Accurate, Radius, Ranged Mental Sense) • 4 points
The treachery of demons is nothing compared to the betrayal of an angel.

Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby Cinder » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:35 am

FuzzyBoots wrote:Generally, such characters also have a Complication that they also lack the ability to distinguish color and the like, which means you might be at a disadvantage if you need to read a computer screen or a document.

Hellhound wrote:As Fuzzyboots says, the problem will be with colors, letters, signs and anything written also with Insubstancial characters.

How, then, would you model the ability we see in comics sometimes which allows the blind character with enhanced touch to "feel" the ink on a page, thereby reading it?

Accurate seems too far, doesn't it? Would it just be a hero point spend to "buy off" the complication?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:51 am

Cinder wrote:How, then, would you model the ability we see in comics sometimes which allows the blind character with enhanced touch to "feel" the ink on a page, thereby reading it?

Accurate seems too far, doesn't it? Would it just be a hero point spend to "buy off" the complication?

Honestly, I'd just leave off the Complication if their substitution method is sufficient to cover the situation. Frankly, this is one of the areas where I think using Complications instead of Drawbacks makes more sense because it's so situational. Your character might get along for several sessions before the GM has to ask the question of, "So, how well does your guy who perceives the world through smell deal with reading a magazine?" If the character can do it (generally an agreement between player and GM), they don't get the Hero Point. If they can't and it's an actual inconvenience, they do.

Hellhound
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Hellhound » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:21 am

Cinder wrote:How, then, would you model the ability we see in comics sometimes which allows the blind character with enhanced touch to "feel" the ink on a page, thereby reading it?

Touch it is accurate and radius by default, so if you really want a blind character with enhanced touch capable to read something that is written then I will use Analytical, because can feel the ink with exact dimensions and also form, so I guess can percive letters and then words.

FuzzyBoots wrote: Your character might get along for several sessions before the GM has to ask the question of, "So, how well does your guy who perceives the world through smell deal with reading a magazine?" If the character can do it (generally an agreement between player and GM), they don't get the Hero Point. If they can't and it's an actual inconvenience, they do.

I totally agree with FuzzyBoots, you can have a Blind character but if he is able to "see" with any power is not really a complication.
The treachery of demons is nothing compared to the betrayal of an angel.

Return to “General M&M”